SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Obviously This is a do or die year for Jones....I was the only one that knew Jones was 100% Safe prior seasons  despite almost everyone hear saying he was gone...not bragging just stating the facts..folks.   Not happy with most of his recruits for 16 and 17 classes , The league is getting stronger and next year the BSC will be tougher.  Jones has been an exercise in being an ok coach....this year he needs to bring home some brass IMO.  Reasonable probability that a new coach will not be better than Jones ...but sometimes change becomes necessary for the sake of change.

10 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Obviously This is a do or die year for Jones....I was the only one that knew Jones was 100% Safe prior seasons  despite almost everyone hear saying he was gone...not bragging just stating the facts..folks.   Not happy with most of his recruits for 16 and 17 classes , The league is getting stronger and next year the BSC will be tougher.  Jones has been an exercise in being an ok coach....this year he needs to bring home some brass IMO.  Reasonable probability that a new coach will not be better than Jones ...but sometimes change becomes necessary for the sake of change.

I think Faison's choices of replacement coaches have panned out pretty well. Bubba, Brad Berry, Mark Pryor, Travis Brewster. UND basketball will do just fine without Jones.

25 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Unless you are AD Faison, you are not the only one who knew that Jones' job was 100% safe.  I would hope the next coach would be better than Jones.  Open up the pocket book and upgrade the caliber of coach/assistants that will apply...get a young coach looking for a chance to move up.  Invest in Bball as it has the most potential on ROI.

38 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I think Faison's choices of replacement coaches have panned out pretty well. Bubba, Brad Berry, Mark Pryor, Travis Brewster. UND basketball will do just fine without Jones.

IMO, it really depends on whether Faison figures out a way to conduct a search like a real division I athletic director despite the ND University System/UND rules. And that means not simply posting the job and waiting for applications to roll in (as he allegedly did in the football hiring process). Because unlike football, there's probably no Bubba out there who is both well-qualified and who sees this as his dream job. If we want somebody like Walthall, I don't believe he's going to apply without some "assurances" that the job is his. If there's truly no way for that to happen under the current hiring rules, then we may want to prepare ourselves for another hire of somebody as dubiously qualified as Jones was 10 years ago. I hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNDBB75 said:

There is a coach waiting out there that bleeds green and this would be his dream job.  I'm not going to name names until Jones is officially gone. He would pump new vitality into the program like Bubba had done for football. 

I though Glas was retiring...............

14 minutes ago, UNDBB75 said:

There is a coach waiting out there that bleeds green and this would be his dream job.  I'm not going to name names until Jones is officially gone. He would pump new vitality into the program like Bubba had done for football. 

Chad Warthall?

1 hour ago, UNDBB75 said:

Would you be referring to this guy?

http://m.greenbayphoenix.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=210123490&DB_OEM_ID=22500&

On 12/31/2016 at 3:13 PM, darell1976 said:

Chad Warthall?

Walthall makes about the same as Jones makes now and he is in D2. UND would have to open up the check book for Walthall.

On 12/31/2016 at 1:26 PM, hoops44 said:

What makes you think the Big Sky is getting stronger? Right now the Big Sky has 5 of the worst 20 teams in D1 basketball. With the talent UND has on their roster, not even Jones can keep UND from at least having a 500 conference record and making the Big Sky tournament, which will be enough for Jones to keep his job, maybe get another extension at $100,000/year. Faison is a little strapped for cash right now, and he knows he will have to double the coaches salaries if he gets rid of Jones and his staff. He is looking for ways to cut to pay for Bubba and his assistants raises. 

28 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Walthall makes about the same as Jones makes now and he is in D2. UND would have to open up the check book for Walthall.

What makes you think the Big Sky is getting stronger? Right now the Big Sky has 5 of the worst 20 teams in D1 basketball. With the talent UND has on their roster, not even Jones can keep UND from at least having a 500 conference record and making the Big Sky tournament, which will be enough for Jones to keep his job, maybe get another extension at $100,000/year. Faison is a little strapped for cash right now, and he knows he will have to double the coaches salaries if he gets rid of Jones and his staff. He is looking for ways to cut to pay for Bubba and his assistants raises. 

Jones is not coming back.  He would have given Jones an extension if that was the case.  He doesn't want to waster money on a buy out, and that is the only reason Jones is still here.

18 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Why would they have to "open up the check book for Walthall?" I guess maybe we have different definitions, but I'd imagine anyone would listen to a job offer that would pay them 30 or 40% more per year with minor relocation necessary. 

Walthall has been around the block long enough to not easily give up a secure job at a D2 school for a small raise at a school in the frozen tundra with little in state talent..with a goal of exceeding current mediocrity .. He will need a big raise with a long term guaranteed contract....More likely to attract a D1 assistant  coach hell bent on getting a D1 HC job

• Downvote 6

16 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Sacrificing one program so other can succeed is definitely not what any AD wants to do.  Sure hope that is not what Faison is thinking.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

Walthall has been around the block long enough to not easily give up a secure job at a D2 school for a small raise at a school in the frozen tundra with little in state talent..with a goal of exceeding current mediocrity .. He will need a big raise with a long term guaranteed contract....More likely to attract a D1 assistant  coach hell bent on getting a D1 HC job

Seems like that school in Fargo has had no problems with instate talent, in the frozen tundra, and beating teams in the dance. Walthall I am sure will have no problem exceeding expectations as all he needs to do is go a couple games over .500 and he would have Jones beat.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Seems like that school in Fargo has had no problems with instate talent, in the frozen tundra, and beating teams in the dance. Walthall I am sure will have no problem exceeding expectations as all he needs to do is go a couple games over .500 and he would have Jones beat.

Yup NDSU has tons of in state talent on their team   more than enough talent in ND to support 2 D1 basketball teams...Guess what Fargo is twice the size of GF it is south of GF and guess what Basketball is not a second fiddle winter sport in Fargo

• Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Yup NDSU has tons of in state talent on their team   more than enough talent in ND to support 2 D1 basketball teams...Guess what Fargo is twice the size of GF it is south of GF and guess what Basketball is not a second fiddle winter sport in Fargo

How did UND win recruiting battles in other sports, conference titles, even National titles with Fargo being twice the size of GF, south of GF, and those sports not being #1 at UND? Answer...Gene Roebuck, Rich Glas, Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon. Its not the size of the city, its the coach on the court; he recruits the talent, he gets them in shape, he calls the plays. Funny how Gene de-throned Amy Ruley to win 3 straight National titles, funny how Rich Glas won 2 conference titles over NDSU, Roger Thomas beat NDSU at their #1 sport and recruited the 2001 National Title team. Dale Lennon coached that 2001 National Title team, and the 2003 Runner up team while the Bison watched the game on tv. The right coach makes all the difference.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

I could be wrong, but when it comes to recruiting battles, I'd be surprised if the "size" of Fargo, or its location has anything to do with a recruits final decision. I mean shocked having lived both places.

*Not saying GF would have the advantage, but it's a wash. I actually think for college GF is a much better town to live in, imo.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Have you seen attendance numbers for the Force vs NDSU Basketball?  Hint: the same sport that is #1 in Grand Forks is #1 in Fargo in the winter.

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, hoops44 said:

I think it's more accurate to say you were about the only one who thought Jones could somehow turn things around after 8 years of .500 basketball.  The rest of us knew better.  And unfortunately this season is starting to look just like the others of the Jones era.   

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I think it's more accurate to say you were about the only one who thought Jones could somehow turn things around after 8 years of .500 basketball.  The rest of us knew better.  And unfortunately this season is starting to look just like the others of the Jones era.   

never said he would turn UND into the next Weber St or Montana....liar