SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

59 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

i think most of us are beyond tired of the mediocrity.  But for those who are apparently ok with it and feel CIT bids and .500 records from here to eternity are good enough, here's a little reminder from the man, the legend, Ricky Bobby

all talk no action.. 

• Downvote 3

20 hours ago, hoops44 said:

you know a lot more about asking extremely stupid questions than you know about basketball talent,,,,

Well than again I'd point at the man who recruits the talent.  It's the same person and a huge bump in pay wouldn't make him a better recruiter either   

Personally, recruiting talent isn't an area I feel he has struggled.  He's done a very good job with that.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, homer said:

Well than again I'd point at the man who recruits the talent.  It's the same person and a huge bump in pay wouldn't make him a better recruiter either   

Personally, recruiting talent isn't an area I feel he has struggled.  He's done a very good job with that.  

if someone paid you more money would that make your IQ higher

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, homer said:

Nope and moving to a warmer climate wouldn't either so it's about time you drop the weak excuse for Jones performance on his salary and location. 

I have gotten raises based on my job performance and accept that is how it works.  I produce above average at my job and I get paid an above average salary.  Same should apply to basketball coaches as well.   

so why ask dumb question... if jones got paid more would he coach better....With Jones UND is getting a lot more than they pay for. a coach with an upper middle resume for a last place salary....  If you want to play with the big boys get and PAY a coach who can bring in the horses to GF...  ...

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

so why ask dumb question... if jones got paid more would he coach better....With Jones UND is getting a lot more than they pay for. a coach with an upper middle resume for a last place salary....  If you want to play with the big boys get and PAY a coach who can bring in the horses to GF...  ...

Within the Big Sky, relative to where his salary ranks and where his teams have finished, UND is probably coming out slightly ahead with Jones. But regular season finishes and making it to the semis or finals of the conference tournament don't matter because the ultimate goal of a low to mid-major is to win the conference tournament and make the dance. Jones has not done that. Being close only buys you so much time. And if he had been making twice as much the last 3-4 years, his teams would have performed exactly the same and he would then qualify as underperforming. He hasn't done anything to deserve much of a raise and more money to the same coach won't fix the problem.

In regards to OOC pay, he has performed below his salary.

I think the frustrating thing to most everyone is that he appears capable of bringing the horses to Grand Forks, but once they are here, they don't seem to be able to reach the ultimate goal. At some point, the excuses of the nickname, the transition, lack of conference, etc. are no longer valid and it seems we are at that point, which is likely that it seems he is coaching without a contract beyond this season. I'm normally not a fan of that kind of scenario but a line needed to be drawn in the sand somewhere and it appears it was.

The only caveat I'll make on this is similar to what the football team faced under Mussman: the assistant salary pool is too low and certainly has led to the merry-go-round at the assistant coach positions. The lack of stability and need to continuously bring in younger guys that are still learning (some of which have been great hires), definitely does not help anything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Within the Big Sky, relative to where his salary ranks and where his teams have finished, UND is probably coming out slightly ahead with Jones. But regular season finishes and making it to the semis or finals of the conference tournament don't matter because the ultimate goal of a low to mid-major is to win the conference tournament and make the dance. Jones has not done that. Being close only buys you so much time. And if he had been making twice as much the last 3-4 years, his teams would have performed exactly the same and he would then qualify as underperforming. He hasn't done anything to deserve much of a raise and more money to the same coach won't fix the problem.

In regards to OOC pay, he has performed below his salary.

I think the frustrating thing to most everyone is that he appears capable of bringing the horses to Grand Forks, but once they are here, they don't seem to be able to reach the ultimate goal. At some point, the excuses of the nickname, the transition, lack of conference, etc. are no longer valid and it seems we are at that point, which is likely that it seems he is coaching without a contract beyond this season. I'm normally not a fan of that kind of scenario but a line needed to be drawn in the sand somewhere and it appears it was.

The only caveat I'll make on this is similar to what the football team faced under Mussman: the assistant salary pool is too low and certainly has led to the merry-go-round at the assistant coach positions. The lack of stability and need to continuously bring in younger guys that are still learning (some of which have been great hires), definitely does not help anything.

he is the lowest paid D1 HC in the USA  ...does not have the worst OOC record  in USA... OOC records are a function of SOS as much as  anything else. IF you lose every OCC game and win BSC tourney ... Normal fans are FAR more thrilled than if you win all OCC games and miss the big dance....He does a nice job of bringing players to the frozen tundra to play basketball where Hockey rules the winter sport market.... Funny kids from hoop hot beds of Cal,Tx and Fla are not lining up to play in grand forks

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

he is the lowest paid D1 HC in the USA  ...does not have the worst OOC record  in USA... OOC records are a function of SOS as much as  anything else. IF you lose every OCC game and win BSC tourney ... Normal fans are FAR more thrilled than if you win all OCC games and miss the big dance....He does a nice job of bringing players to the frozen tundra to play basketball where Hockey rules the winter sport market.... Funny kids from hoop hot beds of Cal,Tx and Fla are not lining up to play in grand forks

Unfortunately he hasn't win the BSC tourney or came even close to winning all the OOC games (with no big upsets at all). So he is missing on both of your hypotheticals which is the reasonv for the serious discontent.

And I stated he brings good kids here, the problem is the results have been below what they seem that they should be with the seemingly above average talent he has brought in

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Unfortunately he hasn't win the BSC tourney or came even close to winning all the OOC games (with no big upsets at all). So he is missing on both of your hypotheticals which is the reasonv for the serious discontent.

And I stated he brings good kids here, the problem is the results have been below what they seem that they should be with the seemingly above average talent he has brought in

I would agree on the High school kids yes, but his jucos have unfortunately not worked out and in the worst places to fail too.  Transfers from other school have had a bit more success. Plus the Iowa connections haven't struck gold while equal talent in Minnesota goes elsewhere.

has 18 conference games + BSC tourney to prove it.  The last year of contract does open a scenario where if they go to the ncaas and jones goes to a different job.

plus next years squad will have some good pieces again for a another top finish in the sky, no matter who is the coach (provided they stay of course)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

As evidenced by the football program, increased success yields increased donations from alumni.  What has the basketball program accomplished in the last 10 years to entice donors to be more generous?

49 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Did they announce somewhere that donations from alumni went up specifically for football - not questioning the validity, just would like to know. 

Member all those budget cutting and team chopping posts this last fall; also, those spreadsheets and comments on each sports costs and the income they bring in (by the ticket gate and/or advertising)?  I haven't seen anything officially on FB donations, but most likely fans of FB will be more generous to the U, but that's hard to gauge, because a lot of donations go the the U without a sport specific requirement, even though a certain sport was a contributing factor to some giver's motivations. And, FB season ticket sales are going up from last season.

If we're just speculating, I doubt he'd leave but it wouldn't hurt to see if Grey Giovanine finally has the itch to get back into D-1 basketball now that I believe his kids are out of high school. Would be an absolute home run hire but not sure if he'd be interested. Would guess Tom Billiter would also be an interesting candidate despite his history from 20 years ago. Not sure what either of them are currently making but guessing its pretty decent considering how long they've been at their current jobs.

This is by faaaarrrrrrrrrr the largest thread under BASKETBALL with 153,000 views and 26,000 replies.

Therefore, this thread's title "Fire Brian Jones?" must have some merit to the concerns of many of the posters here on SS. 

My free throw:

Last game was a complete embarrassment, while I'm at it, so were many games in this coaching tenure.

Coach has proven over too many years that he can't win at the level UND BB should.

Players are not playing to their full potential and don't play in a way to compliment each other's talents to create a good team.

Even with the previous talent statement being said, our players are not as good as some posters here may lead us to believe.

ND's and UND's budget worries may make an early coaching change a challenge, so maybe an assistance as interim coach?

26 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This is by faaaarrrrrrrrrr the largest thread under BASKETBALL with 153,000 views and 26,000 replies.

Therefore, this thread's title "Fire Brian Jones?" must have some merit to the concerns of many of the posters here on SS. 

My free throw:

Last game was a complete embarrassment, while I'm at it, so were many games in this coaching tenure.

Coach has proven over too many years that he can't win at the level UND BB should.

Players are not playing to their full potential and don't play in a way to compliment each other's talents to create a good team.

Even with the previous talent statement being said, our players are not as good as some posters here may lead us to believe.

ND's and UND's budget worries may make an early coaching change a challenge, so maybe an assistance as interim coach?

exercise your fictional authority and fire him now...or wait til the season is over like the folks with factual authority will do

• Downvote 3