SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

23 minutes ago, southpaw said:

So just confirming UND won last night right?  I could have sworn by the activity in this thread that UND didn't beat an in-state rival by 18 points.

You can't escape the thought that we are in December on the doorstep of conference play and our coach has no extension past the post season.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Of course, but tonight's game perhaps exemplifies why Jones should not be retained.  

After they excellent play against UNI this week (but still a loss), was very disappointed in the NDSU game as NDSU is much less talented than UNI.  I want Hooker to get a chance in the Dance, but retaining Jones isn't best for the program.  The MSUM coach can deal with X and O's on the fly, recruiting, and public relations.  Jones can only deal with one of them it seems.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

After they excellent play against UNI this week (but still a loss), was very disappointed in the NDSU game as NDSU is much less talented than UNI.  I want Hooker to get a chance in the Dance, but retaining Jones isn't best for the program.  The MSUM coach can deal with X and O's on the fly, recruiting, and public relations.  Jones can only deal with one of them it seems.

Jones is a bum. His signature win is, what? A close loss to UNI? Seriously, what is his signature win?

• Upvote 1

This years team is no different than a couple of the Huff-Webb-Anderson teams.  Loads of talent, but likely has a ceiling of a game or two over .500 thanks to inept coaching.

It's really a shame, because Jones has proven himself to be a wonderful recruiter.  There is more to it though than just getting good players and hoping for the best.

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

It is sad because Jones will probably be extended. We will perform okay in the Big Sky finishing in the top four I am sure and Faison will find that acceptable.

I think it's dance or bust for Jones this year.  I don't see Faison extending him for any less of a finish.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

It is sad because Jones will probably be extended. We will perform okay in the Big Sky finishing in the top four I am sure and Faison will find that acceptable.

A buddy of mine has already said if Jones gets another contract, he is finished going to games. I am guessing a lot of people feel that way and it is something Faison should seriously consider before he gives this guy another contract.

21 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

In the Moorhead Northern St game last night Wathall's team lost, but some interesting numbers. 

Tanner Kretchmen - 41 points Fargo Davies grad

Aaron Lien - 36 points Moorhead grad

Mack Arvidson - 30 points Grand Forks Red River grad

All 3 somewhat recruited by UND I believe, all three can shoot the 3 ball. All averaging over 17 a game and will be all NSIC players. I could name 6-7 guys over the last 4-5 years for UND these guys should've had scholarships over. Take a look at some of the conference leader stats for the NSIC and you'll see their names at the top of places UND could use help with.

Not trying to pile on because I hope the team does well and wins the big sky and just know those 3 were looked at by UND and passed on and they are 3 of the better players in the nsic right now. Thought of that when Wathalls name was brought up.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

In the Moorhead Northern St game last night Wathall's team lost, but some interesting numbers. 

All 3 somewhat recruited by UND I believe, all three can shoot the 3 ball. All averaging over 17 a game and will be all NSIC players. I could name 6-7 guys over the last 4-5 years for UND these guys should've had scholarships over. Take a look at some of the conference leader stats for the NSIC and you'll see their names at the top of places UND could use help with.

Not trying to pile on because I hope the team does well and wins the big sky and just know those 3 were looked at by UND and passed on and they are 3 of the better players in the nsic right now. Thought of that when Wathalls name was brought up.

NDSU offer any of these kids?

4 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

Jones doesn't have any players from the state of ND (or from the Greater GF area). Closest player is Devon Pekas from Hawley. Its the only major sport that has no ND players. 

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A buddy of mine has already said if Jones gets another contract, he is finished going to games. I am guessing a lot of people feel that way and it is something Faison should seriously consider before he gives this guy another contract.

Sounds like what happened with Mussman, and we are still trying to get people back to the Alerus. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Jones doesn't have any players from the state of ND (or from the Greater GF area). Closest player is Devon Pekas from Hawley. Its the only major sport that has no ND players. 

There is one signed for next year (Moody) . There was one on the roster the last few years (though as a walk-on). Before that you had Brekke, Allard, Big Mike and Wilmer, all who could be considered "local". 

I don't think the staff has really missed on any local kids that didn't come here, though getting one or two of them as a walk-on would have been nice. Lien was the most interesting one to me. That's not saying they haven't missed on a few kids that did come here, but that's just a given in college recruiting.