SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I added this thread so it doesn't clog up game threads. So put in your two cents, your frustration on the HC whose team was picked towards the top of the BSC and is now 2-3 in conference play but more importantly....NO ROAD WINS!! If you can't win on the road you are not going to win the conference. We have seen this in the past where our team can't win on the road, this isn't the GWC we are in we are in the Big Sky, where competition is greater. I am going to say this....if UND doesn't make the dance....Fire Jones!

I am going to say this....if UND doesn't make the dance....Fire Jones!

The dance? At this point, it is looking like it is no guarantee that this team will even make the Big Sky tournament.

To me, this team has been far more disappointing than was the football team this year. I didn't have great expectations for the football team realistically. I felt coming into the year that UND had a shot at hosting the Big Sky tournament at the Sioux Center. At this point, I'm not sure that North Dakota would be favored in any of the games they have left.

Disappointing and underperforming thus far in the year? Without a doubt and an understatement.

Fire Jones? Get real.

After hearing him talk at the booster luncheon last week, he's well aware of the team's shortcomings and the team is too. Guys are having to change their role and it isn't going very smoothly. The injuries they've dealt with over the last couple years have been pretty ridiculous. If anyone doesn't think that this team would be completely different with Brekke in the line-up, you didn't pay much attention to what he brought to the table.

I expect this team to play decent basketball the rest of the season and make the Big Sky tourney. What happens after that is on the players who put 4+ years in to getting themselves into that position. Jones' teams have historically played their best basketball at the end of the year, lets hope it continues.

• Upvote 1

I am very disappointed as is everyone at this point in the season but I'm not sure firing Jones is the answer right now. These players have to take a lot of the responsibility because they should know how to play by now and Jones has at least been shaking up the lineups and benching players for their continued selfish play. Not sure what else he can do at this point. We are not shooting the ball well at all and without Brekke our post play is flat our horrible on both ends of the floor. Huff, Nash and Webb need to stop putting their heads down and driving most every time they get the ball with no thoughts of passing it cause every team is just collapsing all 5 guys in the paint and we are forcing shots. After Anderson's play at the point last night with 6 assists and moving the ball to the open man I believe Jones should make one more roster change and have Anderson start at the point, Webb has just not been himself all year. Calcaterra starts and most of the time does nothing like last night, 0 points and only played 2 minutes so why is he starting. I am sure they work on fundamentals like boxing out everyday but only Benton, Schuler and Stefen box out so who's fault is it that Traylor, Nash and Calcaterra don't box out when it comes game time, it's so simple when the shot goes up find a man. If we make the conference tournament we can be a scary team but I will make my final judgement after these next 15 games.

I am very disappointed as is everyone at this point in the season but I'm not sure firing Jones is the answer right now. These players have to take a lot of the responsibility because they should know how to play by now and Jones has at least been shaking up the lineups and benching players for their continued selfish play. Not sure what else he can do at this point. We are not shooting the ball well at all and without Brekke our post play is flat our horrible on both ends of the floor. Huff, Nash and Webb need to stop putting their heads down and driving most every time they get the ball with no thoughts of passing it cause every team is just collapsing all 5 guys in the paint and we are forcing shots. After Anderson's play at the point last night with 6 assists and moving the ball to the open man I believe Jones should make one more roster change and have Anderson start at the point, Webb has just not been himself all year. Calcaterra starts and most of the time does nothing like last night, 0 points and only played 2 minutes so why is he starting. I am sure they work on fundamentals like boxing out everyday but only Benton, Schuler and Stefen box out so who's fault is it that Traylor, Nash and Calcaterra don't box out when it comes game time, it's so simple when the shot goes up find a man. If we make the conference tournament we can be a scary team but I will make my final judgement after these next 15 games.

I agree with a lot of this. The talent isn't doing the fundamental stuff and the bench players are. Jones has had a quick hook with multiple starters when they make bad plays, he even started the second unit at Wisconsin. The starters keep getting chances because Jones also realizes our second unit isn't going to win the games on their own. You would think at some point it would click and I'm at a loss on why it hasn't. They show flashes and then revert. Our posts are injured, inefficient or both.

Jones continues to bring in good recruits. He needs to show that he can turn them into a good team.

The dance? At this point, it is looking like it is no guarantee that this team will even make the Big Sky tournament.

To me, this team has been far more disappointing than was the football team this year. I didn't have great expectations for the football team realistically. I felt coming into the year that UND had a shot at hosting the Big Sky tournament at the Sioux Center. At this point, I'm not sure that North Dakota would be favored in any of the games they have left.

The dance should've been a reachable goal with all the hype this team got going into the season including being up in the preseason polls at 1 or 2. Now I don't think we hit .500. UND is 0-8 on the road. How is this possible? Oh wait Jones' teams have always had problems winning on the road, didn't we go one year with 1 or 2 road wins? That is not going to get you a conference title especially (unlike the Summit League) when not every team makes the tournament. Jones is not getting the job done, and with a bunch of seniors we should be better than this.

Jones' coaching record at UND:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Jones_(basketball,_born_1971)

Only 3 seasons over .500 in 8 years of coaching. Gotta do better than that.

Everyone that sees this team play can see the problem. It could be corrected if the players did two things that are taught in elementary school - pass the ball when you have 3 defenders on you and box out. The fact that we have DI seniors that he can't get to do these two things speaks extremely poorly of Jones as a coach. The most talented guy on the team is the worst offender. I disagree that Jones is doing much to turn this around - he's had 4 years with the exact same type of play. A well organized playground team shows more teamwork. He seems to let his "talent" do whatever they want. No way to run a basketball program.

• Upvote 1

The dance should've been a reachable goal with all the hype this team got going into the season including being up in the preseason polls at 1 or 2. Now I don't think we hit .500. UND is 0-8 on the road. How is this possible? Oh wait Jones' teams have always had problems winning on the road, didn't we go one year with 1 or 2 road wins? That is not going to get you a conference title especially (unlike the Summit League) when not every team makes the tournament. Jones is not getting the job done, and with a bunch of seniors we should be better than this.

Jones' coaching record at UND:

http://en.wikipedia....ball,_born_1971)

Only 3 seasons over .500 in 8 years of coaching. Gotta do better than that.

Don't forget 5 of those years were D1 transition years which are very difficult to recruit and win. Again the loss of Brekke is bigger than anyone could have imagined and yes his road record is horrible but so are most teams. I will stick to its as much the players fault as the coaches as I watch them game after game. Maybe his philosophy on recruiting will change and find fundamentally sound players in the future that are willing to work as a team instead of individuals. He keeps benching players for their selfish play but obviously they just don't get it and his bench is only so deep so he is forced to play these player probably more than he would like at this point.

I think Brian Jones is over matched in the Big Sky. I think it has been a harder transition than he originally thought. Someone on that staff has been able to recruit some pretty good talent to North Dakota. However, most of your players play me first type ball. It might be out of the frustration of not knowing when they will get to touch the ball again. I have heard two different Big Sky coaches say that top to bottom UND is the most talented team in the Big Sky. I see very little adjustments being made and I do wonder if Jones is the right guy. Can you pay enough to get a decent coach? I thought Northern Arizona over paid for Murphy but it seems to be working. Idaho State has turned the corner under Evans. Maybe it is time to cut ties with Jones and head in a new direction.

Don't forget 5 of those years were D1 transition years which are very difficult to recruit and win. Again the loss of Brekke is bigger than anyone could have imagined and yes his road record is horrible but so are most teams. I will stick to its as much the players fault as the coaches as I watch them game after game. Maybe his philosophy on recruiting will change and find fundamentally sound players in the future that are willing to work as a team instead of individuals. He keeps benching players for their selfish play but obviously they just don't get it and his bench is only so deep so he is forced to play these player probably more than he would like at this point.

That was the excuse with Muss. We can't use transition as an excuse anymore. This is our second year post transition and we corrected the problem in football, and now maybe its time to correct our problem with MBB. Travis Brewster has turned things around in his second year and the second year post transition on the women's side, what is Jones' excuse? Seems like every team is making major progress except 3 sports, hockey, football, and men's basketball.

And on a side note he had only ONE season during the GWC years where he didn't go above .500. He had no winning seasons in the NCC, and none in the BSC so far.

• Upvote 1

UND was 3rd in the media poll and 2 in the coaches poll (just 2 points ahead of Montana), so not sure where you are getting they were ever favored to win the conference? Of those 8 road losses, 5 or 6 of them would have been a surprising win, not even taking into account this teams road struggles. They took 3rd in the conference last year and were this close to making the finals, they outperformed what everyone thought they would do, now this year they are underperforming.

And on a side note he had only ONE season during the GWC years where he didn't go above .500. He had no winning seasons in the NCC, and none in the BSC so far.

UND was 12-8 in the Big Sky last year. Math seems to check out to a winning season to me?

It's the total lack of disciplined play not the transition years that irritate the faithful. Agree Brekke is a big loss, but watching these guys play is almost painful. He has a bunch of talent he can't handle. I don't see Huff riding the pine much and he is the most selfish player on the team.

UND was 3rd in the media poll and 2 in the coaches poll (just 2 points ahead of Montana), so not sure where you are getting they were ever favored to win the conference? Of those 8 road losses, 5 or 6 of them would have been a surprising win, not even taking into account this teams road struggles. They took 3rd in the conference last year and were this close to making the finals, they outperformed what everyone thought they would do, now this year they are underperforming.

UND was 12-8 in the Big Sky last year. Math seems to check out to a winning season to me?

Overall UND was 16-17 last year. But if you want to go by strictly conference records he still has only 3 winning seasons. As for as favored to win the conference: http://dalydoseofhoo...conference.html

Overall UND was 16-17 last year. But if you want to go by strictly conference records he still has only 3 winning seasons. As for as favored to win the conference: http://dalydoseofhoo...conference.html

Sounds like they have an indepth knowledge of Big Sky basketball.

Established on April 17th, 2009, A Daly Dose Of Hoops has undergone several evolutions since its inception. Originally a website that acted similar to a wire service, our staff now strives to bring you feature pieces, columns, game recaps, and whatever else will help enhance your college basketball experience by making us your one-stop shop for not just the Big East; which comprised the bulk of our early coverage, but college basketball in general, as we have now expanded our horizons to bring you not just the best from the New York metropolitan area college basketball programs, but also attempt to cover the national landscape as much as possible

How about one from people who have seen all the teams play? Big Sky Preseason Polls

I'm not arguing UND isn't underperforming. They have half the season to get it together and make the conference tournament and make some noise there. They were never going to get an at large bid, so they are basically 2-3 at this point in what matters.

Sounds like they have an indepth knowledge of Big Sky basketball.

How about one from people who have seen all the teams play? Big Sky Preseason Polls

I'm not arguing UND isn't underperforming. They have half the season to get it together and make the conference tournament and make some noise there. They were never going to get an at large bid, so they are basically 2-3 at this point in what matters.

They have 15 games to get their !@#$ together, and I hope they do.

Everyone must realize also if Jones if fired than all players and future recruits basically have the ability to transfer without sitting out a year and who know who we might lose. Jones has gotten the best players he can get and unfortunately a lot of these players have the talent but not the fundamental skills required nor team work required at this level and they sure haven't learned them while here which is the bad part of Jones not getting them to learn. Someone mentioned we may have the best talent in the league but talent does not win if there is no chemistry or teamwork, never has and never will.

Everyone must realize also if Jones if fired than all players and future recruits basically have the ability to transfer without sitting out a year and who know who we might lose. Jones has gotten the best players he can get and unfortunately a lot of these players have the talent but not the fundamental skills required nor team work required at this level and they sure haven't learned them while here which is the bad part of Jones not getting them to learn. Someone mentioned we may have the best talent in the league but talent does not win if there is no chemistry or teamwork, never has and never will.

Don't think that rule applies to D1 Basketball.

Jones will and probably should get another season. With that said, it looks like this season, which had such high expectations, is slipping away fast.

I have a gut feeling that Jones isn't the guy. All of his teams have suffered countless bad losses and never seem to play the brand of team basketball that the good teams do. Also, his tirade over Ralston calling one of his games a choke job was an embarrassment in my opinion, because, well, that game last year vs. NAU was a choke job. One of many bad losses he's had - including getting blown out every time we play in Fargo.

He has been able to recruit some darn good basketball players, I'll give him that. And the talent that next year's team will have is quite impressive, but I'm just not sure he'll be able to develop and coach them up to their full potential, and that's concerning.

Also, his tirade over Ralston calling one of his games a choke job was an embarrassment in my opinion, because, well, that game last year vs. NAU was a choke job. One of many bad losses he's had - including getting blown out every time we play in Fargo.

Up to this point, I'd consider this entire season a choke job.

We should never have been completely run out of the gym by Cal Poly on a neutral floor. Should not have lost to SDSU at the Sioux Center. UNC is very good, but they totally mailed in against them. We barely eeked out the win at home against a hapless Southern Utah team that still doesn't have a DI win on the season. The way this team is playing, I'm thinking maybe we squeak out a few more wins against Sac St., PSU, and SUU again. But they'll need to improve a lot just to accomplish that.