SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Frozen Faceoff - Xcel Energy Center

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I like the fact that the #1 seed is given the choice of when they want to play.  Something that was never an option in the WCHA (for better or for worse).  A nice way to reward the top seed remaining playing in the Frozen Faceoff.

I agree - but we're assuming that the #1 seed (Denver) was given the option of playing the early game or the late game.  I don't know how the decision was made on the game-times.  

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The Ralph in 06 regional was the best and might be tough to match because of what Holy Cross brought to the table, #16 seed upset, after the holy cross game the announcers on TV didn't say a word for a minute, camera scanned the ice and crowd the "Miracle in ND": 

MN was rated #1.

MN had local talent.

MN had a group of players that were very talented and lazy hot dogs.

We were hungry to get to the Natty and hopefully win it.

Hakstal had our boys playing at the top of their game, and the fans new it.

UND had/has the most knowledgeable fans about hockey.

During the regional, it's not a bring your kids to the game any more. Every fan gets into the game and makes noise.

That video is awesome. It's 100x better with the Holy Cross announcers.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I agree - but we're assuming that the #1 seed (Denver) was given the option of playing the early game or the late game.  I don't know how the decision was made on the game-times.  

“As most know, the decision on Frozen Faceoff semifinal game times has multiple factors to it. Although not guaranteed, our conference process has been to give the highest remaining seed preference on game times. As we have done in the past, I reached out to our top seed, the University of Denver, asking their preference on game time. Denver expressed a desire to play in the second game on Friday, March 17,” NCHC Commissioner Josh Fenton said.

Source:  http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/769027?referrer_id=878553-news

12 minutes ago, MNBen said:

“As most know, the decision on Frozen Faceoff semifinal game times has multiple factors to it. Although not guaranteed, our conference process has been to give the highest remaining seed preference on game times. As we have done in the past, I reached out to our top seed, the University of Denver, asking their preference on game time. Denver expressed a desire to play in the second game on Friday, March 17,” NCHC Commissioner Josh Fenton said.

Source:  http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/769027?referrer_id=878553-news

Thanks for posting that, MNBen.  I think that's the correct way to do things - asking the regular season champion when they'd like to play.  Kudos to the NCHC!  

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

I may have been thinking the St Cloud game the Sioux came back in at the X. I said I was guessing on the goalie, I was just trying to go off memory, I didn't Google it first, sorry! I was at all of the above but thanks for being an ass about it!

That game was a year or 2 before.  Both games were huge comeback games by UND.  I was at both too and I don't recall the the SCSU crowd being so rambunctious because that was a year the gophers didn't make the final 5 and all the gopher fans were trying to rub in the 3-0 lead SCSU had on UND.  As a matter of fact, I had to change seats with my wife because she was about ready to kick the gopher fans butt next to her.   He actually disappeared after UND scored the 3 goals.   The game that UND came back against UMN was better because UND's crowd was going back and forth with UMN's crowd.    

2 hours ago, krustyklown said:

Target Center personnel are clueless, and NCHC is tardy on answering an email.  Anyone know what end the home team will be shooting at twice, i.e., which seating sections?

This might help you.  This is from last year and UND was the home team.  If you zoom in, you can see it is the 3rd period, I was in section 101 behind UMD for the 1st and 3rd.  Now in saying this, I think 1 seed has choice of locker room, so this may change. 

UND.jpg

4 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

This might help you.  This is from last year and UND was the home team.  If you zoom in, you can see it is the 3rd period, I was in section 101 behind UMD for the 1st and 3rd.  Now in saying this, I think 1 seed has choice of locker room, so this may change. 

UND has been the top seeded team each year and has had the same locker room each time.  It's the only one that has a back entrance through the room to the bench.  There are two sets of locker rooms.  They usually have it split up based on the Friday matchups.

The team that shares the same bench that UND had in that picture has to walk down a hallway, up some stairs and from the corner by the zamboni.

In last year's picture, Denver had the locker room just outside of their bench, which was across the hall from UND's.  The other team that shared that bench had to walk down a hallway and up some stairs to get to the bench.

The locker rooms haven't been assigned yet by the NCHC but once I know, I'll post it here.

1 hour ago, ringneck28 said:

That game was a year or 2 before.  Both games were huge comeback games by UND.  I was at both too and I don't recall the the SCSU crowd being so rambunctious because that was a year the gophers didn't make the final 5 and all the gopher fans were trying to rub in the 3-0 lead SCSU had on UND.  As a matter of fact, I had to change seats with my wife because she was about ready to kick the gopher fans butt next to her.   He actually disappeared after UND scored the 3 goals.   The game that UND came back against UMN was better because UND's crowd was going back and forth with UMN's crowd.    

Yes that is the game I was thinking about, thanks! I remember the Sioux were losing and the Gopher fans were chirping about it but you could just tell that St Clouds lead was not going to last. I remember getting in a back and forth in the bathroom and I said, just wait and see! Those guys didn't show up in that bathroom the next break...Hahaha!

Edit,

Was the,  Eidsness of March,  our goalie then?

4 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Yes that is the game I was thinking about, thanks! I remember the Sioux were losing and the Gopher fans were chirping about it but you could just tell that St Clouds lead was not going to last. I remember getting in a back and forth in the bathroom and I said, just wait and see! Those guys didn't show up in that bathroom the next break...Hahaha!

Edit,

Was the,  Eidsness of March,  our goalie then?

Yes, gave up two goals like the first minute of the game.

19 hours ago, southpaw said:

The locker rooms haven't been assigned yet by the NCHC but once I know, I'll post it here.

UND and DU will be on opposite benches from last year as DU took the locker room UND has had the last three years.  

So UND will be attacking the far end of the ice twice in the picture that was posted.  They'll be on the right bench if you're looking at it from across the sheet.

For Saturday, UND will be on the same bench if they play UMD and will be on the other bench if they play WMU.

2 minutes ago, southpaw said:

UND and DU will be on opposite benches from last year as DU took the locker room UND has had the last three years.  

So UND will be attacking the far end of the ice twice in the picture that was posted.  They'll be on the right bench if you're looking at it from across the sheet.

For Saturday, UND will be on the same bench if they play UMD and will be on the other bench if they play WMU.

So I was correct in buying section 121 tickets.  :D

Just now, ringneck28 said:

So I was correct in buying section 121 tickets.  :D

I heard back from the NCHC late last night via email - they validate both assessments from ringneck28 & southpaw

Thus, if you like that kind of thing in the lower level and tickets are available - sections 116, 118, 121, 124 & 126 would be the good seats.

SeatMapImage.jpg

3 minutes ago, krustyklown said:

I heard back from the NCHC late last night via email - they validate both assessments from ringneck28 & southpaw

Thus, if you like that kind of thing in the lower level and tickets are available - sections 116, 118, 121, 124 & 126 would be the good seats.

SeatMapImage.jpg

Another reason for me switching ends, I have been in 101 and 138 for both times down there and UND has lost.  I figured, time to switch things up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ringneck28 said:

Another reason for me switching ends, I have been in 101 and 138 for both times down there and UND has lost.  I figured, time to switch things up.

Spreading the word as requested...

A fine young fella, Jonathan, at NCHC Guest Services hooked up the wife and I with seats in 121, saved ~$35 in service fees, in my estimation.

He relayed to me that there are open spots in all of those five end sections the Sioux will be shooting at twice.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

It was sarcasm.  When UND plays at 4:00 pm and the Gophers play at 7:00, we b*tch about favoritism for the home team.  When the re-shuffling of games is in our favor because most of us prefer 7:00 pm games to 4:00 pm games, we don't complain at all.      

I was just joking around too :-)

On 3/13/2017 at 4:46 PM, Blackheart said:

Call NCHC directly.  Worth a try.

On 3/13/2017 at 5:42 PM, sprig said:

719-219-5755, avoid the "fees"

Hell has frozen over, ladies and gentlemen.  MafiaMan is returning to the Target Center!  Thank you @sprig for posting the phone number for the folks at the NCHC ticket office in Atlanta.  I talked to Jonathan a few minutes ago and booked my seats for Friday's games.  Great fun talking to him - he knows his hockey and the Fighting Sioux Hawks!    

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hell has frozen over, ladies and gentlemen.  MafiaMan is returning to the Target Center!  Thank you @sprig for posting the phone number for the folks at the NCHC ticket office in Atlanta.  I talked to Jonathan a few minutes ago and booked my seats for Friday's games.  Great fun talking to him - he knows his hockey and the Fighting Sioux Hawks!    

You can pick up your fan card at the REA box office... was worried we'd have to banish you for the remainder of the season.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So which jersey are you going to wear?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You can pick up your fan card at the REA box office... was worried we'd have to banish you for the remainder of the season.

Speaking of, I was wondering if there was a place I could pick up my green card too.  This will be my first games of the year too.  I thought it might get pulled from me too.