SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Frozen Faceoff - Xcel Energy Center

AZSIOUX

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

I wasn't at Scheels Arena, but I was at the Ralph in 2006.  It's no question that the Ralph in 2006 was the best atmosphere I had ever been a part of...but what if Holy Cross hadn't happened?  From the look of the atmosphere at Scheels arena on TV, even without a significant upset of the gophers that place looked intense.  

It's a difficult comparison because a pretty significant component of arena atmosphere depends on what's happening on the ice.  

I wasn't at the Scheels regional either but was at the Ralph in 2006. I agree with everyone in that it wasn't the typical Friday/Saturday regular season crowd at the Ralph that weekend. It was electric and the "Let's Go Sioux" chants were unreal before the team even hit the ice for warmups. Holy Cross made that atmosphere unreal all weekend. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was really nervous about Michigan all week and when Holy Cross scored the OT winner and the crowd went crazy my worries went away. I had no doubt we were beating Michigan that night.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

I wasn't at Scheels Arena, but I was at the Ralph in 2006.  It's no question that the Ralph in 2006 was the best atmosphere I had ever been a part of...but what if Holy Cross hadn't happened?  From the look of the atmosphere at Scheels arena on TV, even without a significant upset of the gophers that place looked intense.  

It's a difficult comparison because a pretty significant component of arena atmosphere depends on what's happening on the ice.  

I was at both, and I don't believe the buzz around the arena will ever be matched because of the whole Holy Cross upset.  Between the games everyone was stirring about and it didn't seem like it ever died down and was brought to a culmination when UND took the ice against Michigan.  Unbelievable experience.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

2006 Regionals @ The Ralph > 2014 Regionals @ Scheels Arena > Any Regular Season Game @ The Ralph

It would be hard to match the intensity in the Ralph in '06. I wasn't at Scheels in '14, I'm just saying I've NEVER heard an arena that loud consistently and that many times.

The Ralph in 06 regional was the best and might be tough to match because of what Holy Cross brought to the table, #16 seed upset, after the holy cross game the announcers on TV didn't say a word for a minute, camera scanned the ice and crowd the "Miracle in ND": 

MN was rated #1.

MN had local talent.

MN had a group of players that were very talented and lazy hot dogs.

We were hungry to get to the Natty and hopefully win it.

Hakstal had our boys playing at the top of their game, and the fans new it.

UND had/has the most knowledgeable fans about hockey.

During the regional, it's not a bring your kids to the game any more. Every fan gets into the game and makes noise.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

I was at both, both amazing but Id take that Scheels arena small venue atmosphere right now over the Ralph. Suites this team perfectly with their success outside of the Ralph.

For old timers, Scheels really brought back memories from the old ralph. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Comparing the 2 I would say that Scheels was better.  Not the best I have been in, the X 6 unanswered goal game against the Gophers was the best I have ever I too,

I have to agree with this! Unbelievable atmosphere!

But that regional at the Ralph was a, never forget weekend! No question the loudest I've ever heard the Ralph!

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The Ralph in 06 regional was the best and might be tough to match because of what Holy Cross brought to the table, #16 seed upset, after the holy cross game the announcers on TV didn't say a word for a minute, camera scanned the ice and crowd the "Miracle in ND": 

MN was rated #1.

MN had local talent.

MN had a group of players that were very talented and lazy hot dogs.

We were hungry to get to the Natty and hopefully win it.

Hakstal had our boys playing at the top of their game, and the fans new it.

UND had/has the most knowledgeable fans about hockey.

During the regional, it's not a bring your kids to the game any more. Every fan gets into the game and makes noise.

Man I hope they bring these regionals back to campus sites!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It would be hard to match the intensity in the Ralph in '06. I wasn't at Scheels in '14, I'm just saying I've NEVER heard an arena that loud consistently and that many times.

I was at them all.  Ralph in '06 (that was the UND vs MICH game right?) was crazy.  Two years ago at the Scheels arena was bonkers too.  Pretty equal.  Ralph was a WAY better venue though.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I disagree, the boys were buzzing, shots were in our favor from the start. The only bad thing that happened was (Eidsness?) let in 3 and then decided to shut the door!

Shots were 12-2 in 1st period in Minn Favor.  I'm not sure what game you were at. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Shots were 12-2 in 1st period in Minn Favor.  I'm not sure what game you were at. 

I was thinking the same thing, never seen a game shift so heavily from one team to the other halfway through.

It was all Gophers... then all Sioux and then some.

There was a drunk Gopher fan taunting all the Sioux fans in our section for the first 3 goals. Never seen a guy disappear so quickly after we made it 4-3.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I disagree, the boys were buzzing, shots were in our favor from the start. The only bad thing that happened was (Eidsness?) let in 3 and then decided to shut the door!

14 minutes ago, Big Green said:

They were absolutely destroying us in the first half of that game. And it was Dell, just a FYI.

39 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I may have been thinking the St Cloud game the Sioux came back in at the X. I said I was guessing on the goalie, I was just trying to go off memory, I didn't Google it first, sorry! I was at all of the above but thanks for being an ass about it!

32 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I was thinking the same thing, never seen a game shift so heavily from one team to the other halfway through.

It was all Gophers... then all Sioux and then some.

There was a drunk Gopher fan taunting all the Sioux fans in our section for the first 3 goals. Never seen a guy disappear so quickly after we made it 4-3.

Lol, was that section 118? We had the same type of jerk!

On 3/13/2017 at 11:13 AM, siouxforcefans said:

Guessing it was Denver wanting their fans to be able to watch on TV (since they won't come to Mpls).

plural?

On 3/13/2017 at 11:38 AM, MafiaMan said:

So when #1 seed UND played at 4:00 pm, it's because we got screwed over by the WCHA and the Gopher Rule.  Then when we played at 4:00 pm in the NCHC, it's because the #1 seed needs the rest and likes the extra time off before playing on Saturday or avoids the quick turn-around in the 3rd place game.  

Trying to figure out what your issue is with this?  

22 hours ago, petey23 said:

Hmmm, all the place MafiaMan frequents, failed......

12 minutes ago, dagies said:

Trying to figure out what your issue is with this? 

It was sarcasm.  When UND plays at 4:00 pm and the Gophers play at 7:00, we b*tch about favoritism for the home team.  When the re-shuffling of games is in our favor because most of us prefer 7:00 pm games to 4:00 pm games, we don't complain at all.      

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It was sarcasm.  When UND plays at 4:00 pm and the Gophers play at 7:00, we b*tch about favoritism for the home team.  When the re-shuffling of games is in our favor because most of us prefer 7:00 pm games to 4:00 pm games, we don't complain at all.      

I like the change this year :D