SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Frozen Faceoff - Xcel Energy Center

AZSIOUX

10 hours ago, sprig said:

Don't believe we'd lose to WMU again, so that should be good for 1 win. Unless we beat Denver, who will be playing to win all 3 trophies (like we were last year, when we played flat and uninspired). Since UND is the only team that may need to win, they may be the only team that plays to win in the tourney.

Or you could look at it the other way, that Denver, Duluth, and Western Michigan want to beat us and hope the underdogs win the other conference tourneys to hopefully keep us out of the national tournament so they don't have to possibly play us in Fargo. :blink:

5 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Or you could look at it the other way, that Denver, Duluth, and Western Michigan want to beat us and hope the underdogs win the other conference tourneys to hopefully keep us out of the national tournament so they don't have to possibly play us in Fargo. :blink:

If this team goes and loses twice this weekend I don't think teams will be afraid to play them anywhere.

9 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

If I'm Brad Berry this might be the idea I float out there for extra motivation; Denver thinks they're going to send us packing with a short turn around into the 3rd place game with the hopes of knocking us out of the NC$$. How about we flip the tables and send them limping into the tourney?  

Please note I'm well aware of how last year played out for us. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Randy Lahey said:

So where's the pre game party this weekend? Heard of the Pourhouse the Loon is also a hot spot with some nodak fans let's get a win this weekend and secure an ncaa spot 

The official Frozen Faceoff party bar is at The Pint.

2 hours ago, burd said:

I'm sure UND has the respect of every team in the field, but I'd also guess that those teams would take us over a handful of others.   Against teams who are currently in the top 14 PW, we're a combined 2-9-2.  

I am pretty sure no team wants to go the North Dakota to play an elimination game in front of a packed UND arena.  They might take us over facing the 1 or 2 seeded teams but noone wants to face us as over any other 3 or 4 seed.  

16 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

I am pretty sure no team wants to go the North Dakota to play an elimination game in front of a packed UND arena.  They might take us over facing the 1 or 2 seeded teams but noone wants to face us as over any other 3 or 4 seed.  

I'd agree with that. 

19 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

No team.....besides maybe Denver, Duluth, and Western who did just fine playing inf front of 12,000 UND fans and were a combined 3-1-1 against us in the Ralph this year.  Those 3 teams will probably be fine.  I agree the rest of the tournament field probably would not want a game at Scheels against us.

Question for those who attended last Fargo regional:

Better/more intense atmosphere for UND hockey team?

-Sold out Ralph?

-Sold out Scheels arena?

I was at the regional in Grand Forks years ago and there was just something different about that crowd.  So intense....so into the hockey games.  Loudest I've ever heard at REA. 

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

-Sold out Ralph?

-Sold out Scheels arena?

I was at the regional in Grand Forks years ago and there was just something different about that crowd.  So intense....so into the hockey games.  Loudest I've ever heard at REA. 

Scheels. It was electric.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

-Sold out Ralph?

-Sold out Scheels arena?

I missed the regional in GF so I can't give that perspective but the Fargo regional was far greater than any game I've been to at the Ralph and it isn't close. People shoehorned into the place literally standing in the corners, loud loud loud, and everyone actually involved in the game from puck drop.   I love the Ralph but you get plenty of the night out on the town folks which you didn't have in Fargo.   

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

-Sold out Ralph?

-Sold out Scheels arena?

I won't try to directly compare the two, but I will say that at Scheels EVERYONE is directly over the game.  The arena only goes back to row M, then the club row and suites/lounges, so there isn't anyone with binoculars like the back row of the 300 level at the Ralph.  That also means the roof is lower, the back walls closer.  The sound is just that much more compressed.  It's truly a special experience being there when the boys win!

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

-Sold out Ralph?

-Sold out Scheels arena?

Comparing the 2 I would say that Scheels was better.  Not the best I have been in, the X 6 unanswered goal game against the Gophers was the best I have ever been too,

• Upvote 2

I was at both the regional at the Ralph and at Scheels.

When UND hit the ice after the Minnesota/Holy Cross game was the loudest most sustained noise I have ever heard at a Sporting event. Both arenas were absolutely electric. The regional crowd at the Ralph was a little different than the Friday/Saturday regular season crowd as was the Scheels arena crowd.

Just now, ringneck28 said:

Comparing the 2 I would say that Scheels was better.  Not the best I have been in, the X 6 unanswered goal game against the Gophers was the best I have ever been too,

But only in the second half of the game

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

-Sold out Ralph?

-Sold out Scheels arena?

2006 Regionals @ The Ralph > 2014 Regionals @ Scheels Arena > Any Regular Season Game @ The Ralph

• Upvote 2

I wasn't at Scheels Arena, but I was at the Ralph in 2006.  It's no question that the Ralph in 2006 was the best atmosphere I had ever been a part of...but what if Holy Cross hadn't happened?  From the look of the atmosphere at Scheels arena on TV, even without a significant upset of the gophers that place looked intense.  

It's a difficult comparison because a pretty significant component of arena atmosphere depends on what's happening on the ice.  

24 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I was at both the regional at the Ralph and at Scheels.

When UND hit the ice after the Minnesota/Holy Cross game was the loudest most sustained noise I have ever heard at a Sporting event. Both arenas were absolutely electric. The regional crowd at the Ralph was a little different than the Friday/Saturday regular season crowd as was the Scheels arena crowd.

The next night after UND beat Holy Cross was the loudest I've ever heard it in the Ralph, The LETS GO SIOUX chant was so loud!!!!!

32 minutes ago, TNF said:

I missed the regional in GF so I can't give that perspective but the Fargo regional was far greater than any game I've been to at the Ralph and it isn't close. People shoehorned into the place literally standing in the corners, loud loud loud, and everyone actually involved in the game from puck drop.   I love the Ralph but you get plenty of the night out on the town folks which you didn't have in Fargo.   

And just think how much louder it's going to be if the Sioux end up playing Minnesota