SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Frozen Faceoff - Xcel Energy Center

AZSIOUX

23 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Not as long as it is at Target Center.

If I have to choose between the NCHC at the Target Center vs a regional in Sioux Falls, I'm taking the Target Center all day. I have abosolutly no desire to go to Sioux Falls for a 1 game guarantee. The Target Center is not horrible people. The ones who are complaining the most are the ones who currently do not go to the NCHC tournament. The TC is a decent arena for hockey and all the establishments around it make it a fun time.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

If I have to choose between the NCHC at the Target Center vs a regional in Sioux Falls, I'm taking the Target Center all day. I have abosolutly no desire to go to Sioux Falls for a 1 game guarantee. The Target Center is not horrible people. The ones who are complaining the most are the ones who currently do not go to the NCHC tournament. The TC is a decent arena for hockey and all the establishments around it make it a fun time.

I went to the first two or three conference tournaments and did not go this year. And the regional games are usually way more important than the NCHC tournament games.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I went to the first two or three conference tournaments and did not go this year. And the regional games are usually way more important than the NCHC tournament games.

But they have cold beer for sale at the NCHC tourney!:D

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

The Target Center is currently closed this summer to finish off Phase 3 of the renovations.  This phase will probably be the most noticeable to fans as they are getting new seats and railings as well as improvements to the concourse, restrooms and concessions.  With all the talk about moving the X, I think the NCHC would be smart to wait until after the Frozen Faceoff next year to see how the improvements affect the tournament.  I have never been to the the Frozen Faceoff, but may go next year due to the updates that will be completed by this summer.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The Target Center is currently closed this summer to finish off Phase 3 of the renovations.  This phase will probably be the most noticeable to fans as they are getting new seats and railings as well as improvements to the concourse, restrooms and concessions.  With all the talk about moving the X, I think the NCHC would be smart to wait until after the Frozen Faceoff next year to see how the improvements affect the tournament.  I have never been to the the Frozen Faceoff, but may go next year due to the updates that will be completed by this summer.

Most arenas like to have things planned out more than a year in advance so waiting until after the 2018 Frozen Faceoff is not an option for the NCHC, the Target Center or the X.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

Most arenas like to have things planned out more than a year in advance so waiting until after the 2018 Frozen Faceoff is not an option for the NCHC, the Target Center or the X.

You are right.  They NCHC is going into their final year of their contract with the Target Center.  The renovations at the Target Center will be done before the 2017-2018 Timberwolves season.  I would guess that they will make the decision on renewing their contract with the Target Center or moving over to the X would be done in September when the renovations are completed.  

22 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The NCHC is important as we saw this year. Yes, the regional is important due to making it to the frozen four but if you lose on Friday, you're done. At least at the NCHC you get to watch two games for sure.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

The NCHC is important as we saw this year. Yes, the regional is important due to making it to the frozen four but if you lose on Friday, you're done. At least at the NCHC you get to watch two games for sure.

For now...

• 2 weeks later...

I like the logistics of the Target Center.  I'm part of a group of 4 that has gone every year, but I'm the only hard-core UND guy in the bunch, the others mostly go for the weekend in the Twin Cities.  Despite the disparity in quality of the arena between Target and Xcel, I think the Target Center location has a lot of positives.  Can't wait for the seats to be replaced though.

I also hope they keep the 3rd place game.  It's much easier paying for the tickets knowing I'll get to see the F'n Hawks play twice........................

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I like the logistics of the Target Center.  I'm part of a group of 4 that has gone every year, but I'm the only hard-core UND guy in the bunch, the others mostly go for the weekend in the Twin Cities.  Despite the disparity in quality of the arena between Target and Xcel, I think the Target Center location has a lot of positives.  Can't wait for the seats to be replaced though.

I also hope they keep the 3rd place game.  It's much easier paying for the tickets knowing I'll get to see the F'n Hawks play twice........................

Such as?  And, please let it not be the "night life" after the hockey game.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So, to reiterate, Target Center is a better location because there are more places to drink before and after the games.  I must be losing my damn mind because I thought it was all about the hockey atmosphere.

If that was the case, the Frozen Four would have never been in Tampa. It would be a rotation between Boston and St Paul every year. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I'm not sure that it should be "all about the hockey atmosphere".  

Maybe it should be about a pleasant experience for all those attending.  Like I said, in my group I'm really the only UND die hard that doesn't care where I watch them play, just so long as I get to watch them play.  I don't go to the Twin Cities every year for it because of the venue, I go because my favorite team is playing.  I also don't drive 100 miles to GF every weekend just to spend 3 hours in the REA because its a nice place.  I do it to watch my favorite hockey team.  

Regarding the light rail, that's one of the reasons we really like the Target Center location.  We stay at a hotel that has a light rail stop right out front, and its a nice 30 minute ride.  Would be twice that time to ride it to the X as far as I can tell.  And the one time I was at the Xcel (Frozen Four) parking wasn't a grand experience either.

We'll go regardless of where it is at, but I'm not going to whine about the Target Center.  I've been to plenty of crappy sports venues in my lifetime, but I've never bought a ticket to any event because of the venue.  I always make my plans based on the teams playing at it.

As long as UND is playing, I'll go watch. For people wanting it at the Xcel because of the atmosphere, I hate to tell you but that atmosphere that we once knew is not coming back. You could play any tournament at the best hockey arena in the country but you will never get that same feeling you get when you used to watch the old WCHA.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

For people wanting it at the Xcel because of the atmosphere, I hate to tell you but that atmosphere that we once knew is not coming back. You could play any tournament at the best hockey arena in the country but you will never get that same feeling you get when you used to watch the old WCHA.

So if Denver, UMD, St Cloud State, and North Dakota were all in the NCHC Frozen Face-Off at the Xcel Energy Center, it wouldn't be quite the same because the jersey patches say NCHC on them instead of WCHA?  There were several years of no Gophers at the Final Five and the tournament didn't miss a beat.  

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So if Denver, UMD, St Cloud State, and North Dakota were all in the NCHC Frozen Face-Off at the Xcel Energy Center, it wouldn't be quite the same because the jersey patches say NCHC on them instead of WCHA?  There were several years of no Gophers at the Final Five and the tournament didn't miss a beat.  

The one thing that I am not seeing at the NCHC that I saw at the X is all the fans from other teams showing up.  I remember seeing fans from all the other schools there because of the tradition of the Final Five.  Yes I think I saw 2 fans from SC and a smattering of UMN fans at the TC, but nothing like it was at the X.  That will not come back for a while no matter where the tourney is. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

The one thing that I am not seeing at the NCHC that I saw at the X is all the fans from other teams showing up.  I remember seeing fans from all the other schools there because of the tradition of the Final Five.  Yes I think I saw 2 fans from SC and a smattering of UMN fans at the TC, but nothing like it was at the X.  That will not come back for a while no matter where the tourney is. 

Is it possible that UMD and SCSU fans - and the two Denver fans who made the trip to the X every year - are as unhappy with Target Center as some of us?  :huh:

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

As much as it pains me to say it....you can't ignore the contribution the Gopher fans made toward the atmosphere of the tourney. A good chunk of them still showed up even though their team wasn't there.

37 minutes ago, Snake said:

As much as it pains me to say it....you can't ignore the contribution the Gopher fans made toward the atmosphere of the tourney. A good chunk of them still showed up even though their team wasn't there.

Actually, I kind of enjoyed the years WITHOUT Minnesota in the tournament...;)

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

It was obvious the 3 years I went (skipped last year), that it will be up to UND fans to make this tournament a tradition.  And that means showing up even if our school has a down year. 

Other schools will need to be regular participants to get their fans into the habit of going, if we have any chance to get the same kind of atmosphere.  Honestly, given how poorly Duluth and St Cloud show up (even with their close proximity), we need teams like Western Michigan to start being there every year and get some of their fans on board.  It has to just become something you do every year.  That will require a total experience, including the venue and surrounding areas.

3 hours ago, Snake said:

Including the annoying jerks that showed up drunk near us, year after year.