SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Frozen Faceoff - Xcel Energy Center

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, tnt said:

I'm not sure a bigger arenas like Sioux Falls or Omaha would get as many tickets sold ahead of time as Scheels Arena, where people just want to make sure they could get tickets should UND get in.  Plus Omaha hasn't made the tournament every year, so they would be taking a chance that they would get in, or if they didn't get in, the committee would place another team that draws well there. 

I think the untapped hockey fan base in Sioux Falls would do well atleast for one regional. Stampede typically sell well, and have sold out the arena multiple times, and there is alot of UND fans there, in same sense UMN watchers as well. Since the Denny opened the Stampede has drawn a average attendance over 6200. There are alot of youth players there that I assume never seen a collegiate hockey game in person before. 1 USHL team, 2 NAHL teams, and 1 ECHL team I think they will get a shot at a regional soon.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, crb1 said:

I for one would not like to see this event go to places like Sioux Falls. I don't want to get in my car and drive that far to go to Sioux Falls. I would much rather go to the Twin Cities or Denver. Don't think I would want to go to Omaha either. 

Grand Forks to Minneapolis - 315 miles

Grand Forks to Sioux FAlls - 319 miles

Plus, traffic, hotels, etc are going to be a lot more affordable in Sioux Falls than downtown Minneapolis.  Sioux Falls isn't some small little podunk town.  They have a population of 165,000.  If you want to go to the Cities and do other stuff besides go to hockey games, than Minneapolis is probably your best bet.  But if you want to go to a venue where hockey is the main tenant, is easy to get to, cheaper all around, and is the same distance away minus all the traffic, Sioux Falls is the better option.

• Upvote 3

I just don't think any city outside of Minneapolis is going to draw nearly as many fans as you'd get at the TC.   I'm looking forward to the tourney next year after the renovations are done for sure.    The question is how do you get more St Cloud and UMD fans to go?   UMD not showing up at all was painful to see.   What the heck is going on with their fan base?   I know St Cloud wouldn't have done much better had they been there instead.

1 hour ago, focker said:

The question is how do you get more St Cloud and UMD fans to go?

I know this is talking about the Frozen Faceoff, but Fargo has now hosted both SCSU (2015) and UMD (2017) in the West Regional and neither year did the fan base buy their allotted tickets.  Both years UND fans called to get on the waiting list and were able to buy tickets from them.   If you can't get those fans to buy tickets for a regional, you shouldn't expect them to show up at the Frozen Faceoff.

My point is this goes deeper than just the Frozen Faceoff.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, focker said:

I just don't think any city outside of Minneapolis is going to draw nearly as many fans as you'd get at the TC.   I'm looking forward to the tourney next year after the renovations are done for sure.    The question is how do you get more St Cloud and UMD fans to go?   UMD not showing up at all was painful to see.   What the heck is going on with their fan base?   I know St Cloud wouldn't have done much better had they been there instead.

You can't even call UMD bandwagon fans because they don't even show up when their team is good. A story about my friend living in Duluth having to request a bar turn the TV to the 2011 national title game comes to mind.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You can't even call UMD bandwagon fans because they don't even show up when their team is good. A story about my friend living in Duluth having to request a bar turn the TV to the 2011 national title game comes to mind.

In their defense, the UMD crowd was really into Hillbilly Hand Fishing at the time. :D

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, focker said:

One thing I think that hurts Duluth is a lot of people up there are Gophers fans first and foremost.   

Also high school hockey can take away from attendance with Hermantown, Duluth East, Duluth Marshal and Cloquet all in the area.

3 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Also high school hockey can take away from attendance with Hermantown, Duluth East, Duluth Marshal and Cloquet all in the area.

High school hockey has been over for weeks now.  That has nothing to do with Last weekend.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next year is an optional year on the contract which the NCHC hasn't picked up yet. I'm hearing if Josh Fenton has plans to go to the X with the FF, it will be next year. 

Now it's still a matter of working out a contract with the X that is favorable to the NCHC. 

• 3 weeks later...

Barring any last minute changes, the 2018 Frozen Faceoff will be held at the completely renovated Target Center.  The conference is prepared for dwindling attendance, mainly due to Sioux Falls the weekend after and the Frozen Four a couple weeks after that.  

However, this summer will be an announcement regarding the future of the Frozen Faceoff.  The NCHC is vigorously pursuing the X and working to make it happen for 2019 and beyond.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2017 at 11:11 AM, southpaw said:

Barring any last minute changes, the 2018 Frozen Faceoff will be held at the completely renovated Target Center.  The conference is prepared for dwindling attendance, mainly due to Sioux Falls the weekend after and the Frozen Four a couple weeks after that.  

Why are they preparing for dwindling attendance?  Regional and Frozen Four weekends haven't changed at all.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Why are they preparing for dwindling attendance?  Regional and Frozen Four weekends haven't changed at all.

I know that I will be staying home during the frozen face off (regardless if und is there or not) and saving that money to spend in Sioux Falls at the regional(as long as und qualifies) due to my disinterest of going downtown Minneapolis and to the target center. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Because not every UND fan can afford to go to every post-season event.  Many will choose Sioux Falls and/or a Frozen Four at the X over the Frozen Faceoff.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2017 at 11:11 AM, southpaw said:

However, this summer will be an announcement regarding the future of the Frozen Faceoff.  The NCHC is vigorously pursuing the X and working to make it happen for 2019 and beyond.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?  YES!!  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I think und fans attendance for the frozen faceoff will depend on if und needs to win the frozen faceoff to make the ncaa tournament. 

We knew we had to win one to get in this year against possibly the two best teams in the country, but attendance wasn't the best it has been.