SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Frozen Faceoff - Xcel Energy Center

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

After last year and the usher Nazis, particularly one prick, we had to deal with we won't ever be back to the TC. I told the TC management I/we come down here to enjoy myself/ourselves and spend lots of money for your benefit and bottom line. Your staff's only job is to not ______ that up.

Missioned accomplished..............

Left after the UMD-UND afternoon game last year and won't go back to that venue.....ever.  Two years before there wasn't anyone within ten seats of us in our section and my old man (knee surgery, back surgery, broken neck in college which lead to arthritis) moves a few seats over to give himself more room and of course an usher comes over to check our tickets.....and scold him about not being in his seat assigned seat....

The NCHC wants to be the premier league and in terms of competitive teams they are right there.  

For the fans they have some room for major improvement in certain areas.  The webcasts from a number of the schools are total crap, second rate broadcasts with very minimal effort and $$$ spent and then they have the audacity to charge for this poor product.  

As far as the target center goes it is a complete joke.  No conference that wants to be the best should be holding any event in a dump like the TC, especially when you have one of the premier buildings just miles away.   If they don't terminate the TC and move it to the XCEL by next season it will tell me the conference is just doing lip service on being the best.

The Target Center is OK.   Not built for hockey but it can accommodate it well enough.   The seats are a disgrace but they are getting changed out as part of the remodel.    Moving people in and out of the building was much improved, even with construction.  The scoreboard is top shelf.   The ushers and vendors are much improved, and getting tuned in to the hockey atmosphere.     It will compete hard to keep this event.  Local hotels and hospitality will throw in on this  front as well.   It'll come down to one of economics.  Solid North Dakota fans will show up regardless of the venue.  The NCHC powers will play a numbers game.  Just like all businesses do and will.  The NCHC doesn't much give a darn on alot of your opinions, and it isn't going to lose any sleep if some of you decide to stand on principle and not come to town.   Your loss.  Not the NCHC's.   Besides,  the Xcel is often booked hard and may not have the flexibility to accomodate the NCHC.  Finally,  the streets of Saint Paul roll up hard.   Every night.  Early.  Not the case in Sin City.   Finally,  I am disappointed in alot of the fans in the so-called State of Hockey.   Premier college hockey tournament in town.  The beloved Gophers are in Detroit and it is obvious that no one went there.  I thought I'd see alot of impartial college hockey fans often seen at Mariucci in attendance.  Just for the love of watching the game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thought I found the best food deal in getting a chburger on a bucket of fries for 10.50. Lots of fries, and the vendor gave me a spiel on how it compared to McDonalds and how much better a deal it was (didn't say I didn't want a McD's burger). One bite, realized it was a soy burger, have never had anything that gross since getting one at a small town Canada hockey arena. Wanted to go back and tell him I'd take the McD's burger, at least that's some form of beef. Feel like hurling just remembering the taste from last night.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NorthDakotaHockey said:

The Target Center is OK.   Not built for hockey but it can accommodate it well enough.   The seats are a disgrace but they are getting changed out as part of the remodel.    Moving people in and out of the building was much improved, even with construction.  The scoreboard is top shelf.   The ushers and vendors are much improved, and getting tuned in to the hockey atmosphere.     It will compete hard to keep this event.  Local hotels and hospitality will throw in on this  front as well.   It'll come down to one of economics.  Solid North Dakota fans will show up regardless of the venue.  The NCHC powers will play a numbers game.  Just like all businesses do and will.  The NCHC doesn't much give a darn on alot of your opinions, and it isn't going to lose any sleep if some of you decide to stand on principle and not come to town.   Your loss.  Not the NCHC's.   Besides,  the Xcel is often booked hard and may not have the flexibility to accomodate the NCHC.  Finally,  the streets of Saint Paul roll up hard.   Every night.  Early.  Not the case in Sin City.   Finally,  I am disappointed in alot of the fans in the so-called State of Hockey.   Premier college hockey tournament in town.  The beloved Gophers are in Detroit and it is obvious that no one went there.  I thought I'd see alot of impartial college hockey fans often seen at Mariucci in attendance.  Just for the love of watching the game. 

You have just confirmed my suspicion that the consumer has basically ZERO influence on how 21st century businesses run. They do what they want, when they want, tell us to take it or leave it and still rake in the cash. That type of perverse system will always yield negative outcomes. And if they don't care about my opinions, but still want me to fork over large sums of cash for hotel and tickets and over-priced concession food, then they can take their event and shove it.

You can kow-tow to them and kiss their collective a$$es all you want, I refuse to. You cannot be taken advantage of without you giving someone permission to do so. And I have decided to revoke my permission. I think I'll save my money for season tickets, NCAA regional tickets and Frozen Four tickets.

• Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, sprig said:

Thought I found the best food deal in getting a chburger on a bucket of fries for 10.50. Lots of fries, and the vendor gave me a spiel on how it compared to McDonalds and how much better a deal it was (didn't say I didn't want a McD's burger). One bite, realized it was a soy burger, have never had anything that gross since getting one at a small town Canada hockey arena. Wanted to go back and tell him I'd take the McD's burger, at least that's some form of beef. Feel like hurling just remembering the taste from last night.

But according to NorthDakotaHockey, you are supposed to put up and shut up and be grateful for what is put in front of you. :silly:

• Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But according to NorthDakotaHockey, you are supposed to put up and shut up and be grateful for what is put in front of you. :silly:

I think that's taking the man's statement a little far. The tournament isn't going to move because of food prices or quality but only if it makes financial sense.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I think that's taking the man's statement a little far. The tournament isn't going to move because of food prices or quality but only if it makes financial sense.

Really?

I don't think so.

He talked up how much better the vendors and ushers are, contrary to what others have reported on here. He then says our opinions don't matter because of "economics" and that it is our loss if we don't go in the future. He was basically carrying water for the Target Center and telling those of us that don't like the tournament being there "too bad, deal with it". If he wants to keep paying good money for a subpar experience, that's his choice. But don't act like everything is just fine and then scold the rest of us for not sharing his opinion, especially that little remark about "solid North Dakota fans" still showing up.

Sorry, but no apologies or retractions will be forthcoming.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Really?

I don't think so.

He talked up how much better the vendors and ushers are, contrary to what others have reported on here.

He said improved. The reported reports here are from past years. And another one said they've never had any issues.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

He said improved. The reported reports here are from past years. And another one said they've never had any issues.

"Improved" is a subjective term. I am simply finished spending money on that event in its current form. I would rather fork over money on season-tickets to REA, which provides a good fan experience for the most part. Or regional tickets. Or Frozen Four tickets.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

"Improved" is a subjective term. I am simply finished spending money on that event in its current form. I would rather fork over money on season-tickets to REA, which provides a good fan experience for the most part. Or regional tickets. Or Frozen Four tickets.

I don't think it helps that the tournament will no longer have another large passionate fan base that competes with North Dakota. That was part of the mystique. There will never be UND Frozen Faceoff game with an impartial crowd ever again.

Just now, Cratter said:

I don't think it helps that the tournament will no longer have another large passionate fan base that competes with North Dakota. That was part of the mystique. There will never be UND Frozen Faceoff game with an impartial crowd ever again.

Maybe it is time to follow the lead of the B1G and WCHA and get rid of the conference tournament concept altogether. The realignment has fractured the various Midwest fan bases into three conferences. This makes it difficult to attract enough fans to create the fan experience every conference wants to create.

44 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You have just confirmed my suspicion that the consumer has basically ZERO influence on how 21st century businesses run. They do what they want, when they want, tell us to take it or leave it and still rake in the cash. That type of perverse system will always yield negative outcomes. And if they don't care about my opinions, but still want me to fork over large sums of cash for hotel and tickets and over-priced concession food, then they can take their event and shove it.

You can kow-tow to them and kiss their collective a$$es all you want, I refuse to. You cannot be taken advantage of without you giving someone permission to do so. And I have decided to revoke my permission. I think I'll save my money for season tickets, NCAA regional tickets and Frozen Four tickets.

Damned straight.   Don't forget.  I've great Frozen Four tix available on the ticket thread.   At right fair prices right now, but not available come next Sunday.   And, naturally,  the Ralph and the NCAA are certainly no different than is the NCHC.  You think that the NCAA cares about the fans?   Don't kid yourself.  Your suspicion is spot on, and it's only going to get worse from here.  Next thing you know, the cable companies will be jacking their rates for our privilege to watch their televised drivel.  Games and all.

Just now, gfhockey said:

What was attendance compared to other years

From my observation being at both sessions all years,  probably about 4,000-5,000 for the non-North Dakota games,   8,000 -11,000 for the Sioux games.  I think that they announced a shade over 10,000 for the title game last night.   Not terribly impressive given the teams, the metro area, the fan bases, the weather, and the fact that there was no other hockey in town last night.

10 minutes ago, NorthDakotaHockey said:

Damned straight.   Don't forget.  I've great Frozen Four tix available on the ticket thread.   At right fair prices right now, but not available come next Sunday.   And, naturally,  the Ralph and the NCAA are certainly no different than is the NCHC.  You think that the NCAA cares about the fans?   Don't kid yourself.  Your suspicion is spot on, and it's only going to get worse from here.  Next thing you know, the cable companies will be jacking their rates for our privilege to watch their televised drivel.  Games and all.

I think REA cares about the fan experience. They have to fill that arena on a regular basis to pay the bills and provide UND athletics with the revenues they need to fund the department. And overall, they do an excellent job. The NCAA, on the other hand, continues force-feeding us these neutral site regionals which attract sparse crowds. Don't know how they make money doing that.

And cable companies will get their comeuppance when more people start cord-cutting and switching to online streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. No way would any network (broadcast or cable) touch The Man In The High Castle like Amazon Prime did (great series, btw).

I am afraid the era of the conference tournament is almost over. And that is sad. :(

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So you took a post from one random person saying the NCHC doesn't care about the fan and just assumed it was fact?  Josh Fenton has been actively asking for fan input about Target Center and a possible move to the X. This week, you'll see Brad Schlossman post a twitter poll about the TC/X.  That is a direct result of the NCHC Commissioner having a discussion with Brad about which way UND fans may lean.

The conference does care about what the fans have to say and takes it into account.  The NCHC was never going to leave the Target Center during the contract so to assume that fan's voices haven't been heard is ridiculous.  Will the future site of the Frozen Faceoff be decided by the fans?  Definitely not, but it will play a role in where the tournament goes.

With the final upgrades to the Target Center happening this summer, I fully expect the FF to be back at TC next year.  After that it really comes down to the numbers both from a business and fan experience aspect.

I won't even try to make chicken salad out of chicken s**t like some here. I have been very fortunate to go to many big time arenas, ballparks and stadiums over the years. It's not close...when taking everything into account the TC is easily the worst overall venue I've been to. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, southpaw said:

So you took a post from one random person saying the NCHC doesn't care about the fan and just assumed it was fact?  Josh Fenton has been actively asking for fan input about Target Center and a possible move to the X. This week, you'll see Brad Schlossman post a twitter poll about the TC/X.  That is a direct result of the NCHC Commissioner having a discussion with Brad about which way UND fans may lean.

The conference does care about what the fans have to say and takes it into account.  The NCHC was never going to leave the Target Center during the contract so to assume that fan's voices haven't been heard is ridiculous.  Will the future site of the Frozen Faceoff be decided by the fans?  Definitely not, but it will play a role in where the tournament goes.

With the final upgrades to the Target Center happening this summer, I fully expect the FF to be back at TC next year.  After that it really comes down to the numbers both from a business and fan experience aspect.

That's seems quite sensible.

33 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Josh Fenton has been actively asking for fan input about Target Center and a possible move to the X. This week, you'll see Brad Schlossman post a twitter poll about the TC/X.  That is a direct result of the NCHC Commissioner having a discussion with Brad about which way UND fans may lean.  

WHICH WAY FANS MIGHT LEAN?  :lol:  An Xcel Energy Center vs Target Center Twitter poll for fans is going to wind up so lopsided that it'll make the 1984 presidential election between Reagan vs Mondale appear to be "too close to call" by comparison.  

• Upvote 1