SiouxSports.com Forum

BRIAN JONES BSC COACH OF THE YEAR!!!

hoops44

2 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Getting to the CIT is great bang for the buck...for lowest paid  D1 HC coach in BSC  and D1 NCAA

I do wish a few of those years they managed to get to a higher postseason, I personally think Jones had a bit of bad luck his first 2 Big Sky years.

CIT doesn't bother me, UND should never turn down a post-season invite.

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

We need to put that season in a bit of perspective.

The team lost Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler, Traylor, Brekke.  That team lost 4 starters, several multi-year,  Lots of scoring, rebounding, steals.  When you lose all that... and you didn't have a lot coming back (didn't know what we had with Hooker, Tyler was ready to go off a transfer from UMKC,  and we got lucky with the NCAA being "nice" and letting Nash have a 6th year* Also, who we brought in didn't make any big impacts.  Geno redshirted, Cashman and Shield had small impacts, Coleman barely got on the court and De Rouen was too busy complaining about the gear.  Nash did all he could but wasn't a true #1 option and Hooker just wasn't ready yet until later in the year.  Tyler was okay but we needed more from him, and we got little if anything out of the post.  Although Hobaugh and Antwi were decent options, we just needed more. Plus going back in the thread there was rumblings of the team not quite "meshing" together.  Also that team lost a LOT of close games where a play or two could have led to a few more W's. 

Now is that on the coach, yes.  But I get why he did it and I bet if Jones had to do it over again he just brings more freshman or perhaps let Geno play day 1. The mass defections the year later helped to clear the deck and bring in better "fits" in the program, which the team is now reaping the benefits of. Jones should get a bit of credit for that realizing that it wasn't working out the way the team was build and a change was needed.

*Of course he never should have sat out in 2012-2013... thanks NCAA :angry:

But he didn't deserve a raise after that season, Hoops44 talks about lowest salary, well, you need to earn the money. By winning just 8 games the whole year isn't going to get Brian Faison to open up the checkbook especially after hiring Bubba early in 2014. 16-17, 17-17, and 8-22 isn't exactly raise material. They did go to the BSC championship game the year before the 8-22 disaster so I could see a case for a bump in pay there, but other than that this team has been very quiet since moving to the Big Sky until this season. 

1 hour ago, jacksfan29 said:

Didn't see anything on here, if I missed it sorry. Brian Jones, along with Craig Smith from USD and Darian DeVries from Creighton have been linked to the Drake job. 

Drake opening with have heavy involvement from Craig smith, Brian Jones, and Darian Devries. All 3 names will have a legit shot. #NcaaRumors

Went to read Drakes message board after seeing this. Nobody sounds too excited about the thought of Jones. The fans seem to be leaning the way of Craig Smith. 

13 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Jones' record is not good, but he might have it together this year?

He got to the 20 win mark, but can he do it next year, and the year after that? Its tough when you lose a big time player like Hooker, but that's where recruiting plays out, next man up. I think Jones is a really good recruiter, he seems to get a good group of guys. This group doesn't ball like in years past (maybe Jones installed that in their heads), and really got the mechanics down like free throws (easy points). If the next group plays like this next year UND could see themselves in ESPN's bracktology again.

29 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Getting to the CIT is great bang for the buck...for lowest paid  D1 HC coach in BSC  and D1 NCAA

So are Ramen Noodles...........but no one actually likes them.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Went to read Drakes message board after seeing this. Nobody sounds too excited about the thought of Jones. The fans seem to be leaning the way of Craig Smith. 

And we could have had Craig Smith. But noooooooo, that uber-genius Tom Buning wouldn't give him the time of day because he didn't have Division I experience and whatever else was on that stupid list of his. :angry: Thank God Buning wasn't around here too long; he could have messed up the entire Athletic Department big-time.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You are right, this year he has put it all together. I am just concerned that this is an outlier and not the new normal.

We have finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 10th in the Big Sky. Which one of those would be considered an outlier?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And we could have had Craig Smith. But noooooooo, that uber-genius Tom Buning wouldn't give him the time of day because he didn't have Division I experience and whatever else was on that stupid list of his. :angry: Thank God Buning wasn't around here too long; he could have messed up the entire Athletic Department big-time.

Too many pushups at football games messed up his thought process.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Those are valid points. However, it is fair to point out that WBB had the same issues to deal with and have been more consistent from one year to the next (with one NCAA berth already).

I can't believe I'm stepping into this... but I did post this on the women's forum yesterday after the tough loss.

I don't really like comparing the Men and Women as it's apples and oranges but for curiosity sake

Looking at the 5 year run in the Big Sky tournament for the Women is interesting

Year 1: Didn't qualify for 8 team field

Year 2: Took care of business at home

Year 3: Lost as the 6 seed in only game of tournament to 3 seed N. Colorado

Year 4: Upset by 9 seed Idaho State in Semis

Year 5: Upset by 7 seed Portland State in Quarters.  

Reno has been tough on UND.

Now for the Men,

Year 1:  Finished 3rd in the Big Sky Regular Season (which was the highest finish by a Big Sky Newcomer Men's team since the league's inception) Won a quarterfinal game, lost a classic Semifinal.

Year 2: Finished tied for 2nd....Won 2 games in Big Sky Tournament before losing in the final at Weber

Year 3: Lost year---didn't make the tournament.

Year 4:  Tied for 4th,  Won 2 games in tournament, losing in a classic semifinal to....Weber State

Year 5: Won Quarterfinal

Here's a question, who has more Big Sky Tournament wins since joining the conference?  Men or Women?

As far as the D1 transition years are concerned...there was some good and some bad, but remember UND essentially went to Huff, Anderson, and Webb as freshman and the team got better each of their Freshman and sophomore seasons where they played their best basketball to win the post season tournaments.

I just think, that saying the women's program has been more consistent is a rather cloudy comparison at best.

Go UND

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

We have finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 10th in the Big Sky. Which one of those would be considered an outlier?

Okay, let me rephrase it for you.

This is the first year that the men's team has fully maximized their potential under Jones. A lot of other years, they underachieved and lost to teams they shouldn't have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoops44 said:

No chance Smith to UND he is not an idiot....made 200k at Neb in 2013...started at 185k at SD....Not at all interested in coaching for D1 peanuts at UND

What makes you think Smith wouldn't have earned a higher salary here, Mr. Bang For The Buck? If Jones had taken us to the NCAA tournament earlier, he would have earned a higher salary as well. #notrocketscience

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is the first year that the men's team has fully maximized their potential under Jones. A lot of other years, they underachieved and lost to teams they shouldn't have.

Not sure I can agree with that. All teams lose games they shouldn't during the year, it happens. Which of the years do you think they underachieved and lost out when they were clearly the more talented team? They have yet to be upset in the conference tournament, losing to a 1 or 2 seed each year. The women's team, who you claimed to be more consistent, have now been upset two years in a row.

This isn't saying I didn't expect them to win any of those years. I think they were on par talent-wise at least one or two of them and had a legit shot at winning, I just don't think they lost to a clearly inferior team in the tournament any of those years.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not sure I can agree with that. All teams lose games they shouldn't during the year, it happens. Which of the years do you think they underachieved and lost out when they were clearly the more talented team? They have yet to be upset in the conference tournament, losing to a 1 or 2 seed each year. The women's team, who you claimed to be more consistent, have now been upset two years in a row.

Agree, his past teams weren't that overly talented that he under coached them. This is the most talented team he has had, he now deserves a short extension and a raise, short meaning, being what happened here at UND with Musselman's extension. Go Hawks!

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Agree, his past teams weren't that overly talented that he under coached them. This is the most talented team he has had, he now deserves a short extension and a raise, short meaning, being what happened here at UND with Musselman's extension. Go Hawks!

Some people on this forum think Jones is a better recruiter than coach. I suppose that is open to interpretation. And I am a little concerned about the women's team losing to lower seeds year after year in the Big Sky tournament. But overall, I think both programs have the potential to be perennial contenders in the Big Sky (and in a couple of years, the Summit).