SiouxSports.com Forum

BRIAN JONES BSC COACH OF THE YEAR!!!

hoops44

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

Yup, the great west in football and the big sky in basketball are exactly the same.  :silly:

Feel free to head over to Bubba's office and tell him that UND can't win the championship in the next four years because we haven't hit that 10 year mark that Muss' extension set them back.

i guess you failed to see the comparison

• Upvote 1

Congratulations Coach Jones, I take my hat off to you,

After the Iowa game, you started putting doubt in my mind about the need for a different UND head coach, and I slowly starting becoming a believer in you. I'll never forget your expression when the Iowa coach walked off the floor at the buzzer, or, a couple days earlier in GF, your stare at the Bizon huddle when they called a rub it in your face timeout with little time left and a safe lead. Then the next week with a 4th loss in a row by getting beat by 30 something at Port St, you looked hurt. I sensed you were giving it your best, and your heart was truly in the game. Your enthusiasm and encouragements on the sidelines were 2nd to no one. Meanwhile, fans here in GF were shooting arrows at you (me included, although now with some reservations). Well it came together in 2 days with a Sac St overtime win and thereafter off to the BSC championship. You, Mr. Jones, motivated the players,

Wish you the best in Reno!

11 hours ago, hoops44 said:

makes sense ok to attack real person WITH WIFE AND CHILDREN but not fake onine persona.....PERFECT

Always defending Jones. Brings up his wife and kids. Talks about how little he makes and how to deserves a raise.

Has to be Mrs. Jones.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Congratulations to Coach Jones.  It is a well deserved reward, for what has been a surprisingly remarkable season.  Jones often has his team playing its best ball near the end of the year during his tenure here, and I am glad to see that is the case this year.  Winning the conference title outright is no small achievement and deserves praise.  To add to that, I believe UND hasn't won a regular season conference title since 1996 or thereabouts so that makes it all that more impressive.  I doubt many, if any here, saw this result coming back when the season tipped off in November.  Given the results of this season, I have no doubt that he will receive a multi year contract extension going forward.

Now to be "fair and balanced", I also feel compelled to point out his ascension up the ladders of the UND record book.  This season, Coach Jones surpassed the legendary Dave Gunther to take sole possession of second place all time in the loss column in the history of the University's basketball program.   No small feat, when you consider that Jones was able to lose more games in just 11 seasons than Gunther lost in 18 seasons.  It took Rich Glas 16 seasons to lose as many games as Jones has in 11 years.  My point is unfortunately, that he loses more often than he wins.  And he is not a new, 3rd year coach that the jury is still out on.  He's been here for over a decade, in my opinion we know what we have with him, and this season is the exception rather than the norm.  

Apples to oranges in number of losses by coaches. In D II the OOC games were mostly gimmes now they are a higher level of competition. Not defending his record just saying it is different competition.

• Upvote 3

Football , Mens Hockey, Women's Basketball, Women's Hockey coaches all make more money than the Mens Basketball coaches...The AD department clearly makes a greater commitment to these sports and prioritizes them over and above mens baskteball....Any success that mens hoops has is a gift ...Not happy with mens hoops the beef belongs with the AD ....Jones has outperformed his last place salary Every Single Season...facts are facts....

19 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Football , Mens Hockey, Women's Basketball, Women's Hockey coaches all make more money than the Mens Basketball coaches...The AD department clearly makes a greater commitment to these sports and prioritizes them over and above mens baskteball....Any success that mens hoops has is a gift ...Not happy with mens hoops the beef belongs with the AD ....Jones has outperformed his last place salary Every Single Season...facts are facts....

Even when they tied for last place 2 seasons ago? He didn't deserve a big salary in years past cause they didn't do anything except lose in the first round of the CIT. This is the only year a banner will be hung in the Betty that warrants a raise if he is retained. 

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Even when they tied for last place 2 seasons ago? He didn't deserve a big salary in years past cause they didn't do anything except lose in the first round of the CIT. This is the only year a banner will be hung in the Betty that warrants a raise if he is retained. 

obviously yes as logical as 2+2=4...12 place pay correlates to 12th place program  and number one pay correlates to having the number one program...Like most things in life you get what you put into it... like the guy who thinks the cook at white castle should get fired because the burgers are not as tasty as a smash burger

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Apples to oranges in number of losses by coaches. In D II the OOC games were mostly gimmes now they are a higher level of competition. Not defending his record just saying it is different competition.

Yea, Jones really schedules a bunch of juggernauts for OOC play.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Irish said:

Two big questions that I think most are thinking?  - First, is this year an outlier  or has Jones really upped his coaching chops?

Second - does a conference championship outweigh the years where we had great talent and played street ball?  

I think the first one is a fair question. But I think it is also fair to add in that both the nickname issue allowing other schools to say UND may not be eligible for postseason play (even if it was a stretch/lie) and not having a true D1 conference to recruit to until 2011 significantly hurt the MBB. I also think the type of players UND was able to recruit led to a lot of the things brought up in your second question. Is the fact that all of that has finally washed out through the system a coincidence or was it part of the problem? My personal opinion is that MBB was hurt more than any other program by those two issues and that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

• Upvote 3

One must remember the recruiting and coaching challanges Jones had:

UND had not had a winning conference season in the prior three years.

Basketball attendance was down from prior decades.

Transition to Div I.

Challengeing recruiting home base, with large hockey fan base and FB 2nd.

Sioux logo controversy.

Conference changes.

Jones wins the Big Sky, deserves an extension with a raise. I'd say give him two years (1 more in Big Sky & our 1st in the Summit). Can alway extend it after next season with still one to go. Even if we lose tonight, even if we make it to the dance. Jones' prior records are not great, but he got us through that list above, by far not a small chour. Sure fans are skeptical in his coaching, and cautious in supporting an extention.  There are also fans that very much support him. The Betty was a vastly improved setting to watch bouncy ball this year, the place reminded me of some of the rocking from the 70's. Jones did some terrific coaching while racing up and down that sideline and the players took heed, that was impressive. He obvisously did something correct at practice also.

I'm sure Faison will use caution when deciding about an extension. But, how do you give up on a coach when he had this season.

Need to play good in these next games. Go Hawks.

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Still tougher schedule than the old DII - no need to get into a piss fight we know where you stand on Jones. 

I understand what you're saying, but Gunther's teams played tough schedules, especially in the 1970's. Non-conference opponents included Minnesota (four times), Villanova, Gonzaga, St. Mary's (twice), Creighton (twice), Boise St., New Mexico and Nevada, among many other current division I schools. Plus Northern Iowa was in the NCC until 1978. A conference schedule including the three other Dakota schools, Northern Iowa, Omaha, etc. two to three times a year was pretty brutal.

• Upvote 4

I remember annually that UND's first 5 games would be 97 - 50 over little Iowa and South Dakota schools. 

Okay - the haters win - the current Big Sky Coach of the Year is a piece of crap as evidence by how fast he got to 100 losses. Wow - two games from the NCAA Tournament and some just can't find a way to enjoy it. 

• Upvote 3

Didn't see anything on here, if I missed it sorry. Brian Jones, along with Craig Smith from USD and Darian DeVries from Creighton have been linked to the Drake job. 

Drake opening with have heavy involvement from Craig smith, Brian Jones, and Darian Devries. All 3 names will have a legit shot. #NcaaRumors

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

Didn't see anything on here, if I missed it sorry. Brian Jones, along with Craig Smith from USD and Darian DeVries from Creighton have been linked to the Drake job. 

Drake opening with have heavy involvement from Craig smith, Brian Jones, and Darian Devries. All 3 names will have a legit shot. #NcaaRumors

I am not shocked by this due to his Iowa ties

52 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

There is a God. Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

“They’ve done this all year,” UND head coach Brian Jones, the Big Sky Coach of the Year, said. “I can’t explain it. We have won a lot of close games. It’s their chemistry, their connection together, their resiliency. Portland State is extremely talented. They have a lot of weapons offensively, they are athletic, they are fast. I felt they were going to be one of the more dangerous teams in this tournament. ”  WOW

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

We need to put that season in a bit of perspective.

The team lost Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler, Traylor, Brekke.  That team lost 4 starters, several multi-year,  Lots of scoring, rebounding, steals.  When you lose all that... and you didn't have a lot coming back (didn't know what we had with Hooker, Tyler was ready to go off a transfer from UMKC,  and we got lucky with the NCAA being "nice" and letting Nash have a 6th year* Also, who we brought in didn't make any big impacts.  Geno redshirted, Cashman and Shield had small impacts, Coleman barely got on the court and De Rouen was too busy complaining about the gear.  Nash did all he could but wasn't a true #1 option and Hooker just wasn't ready yet until later in the year.  Tyler was okay but we needed more from him, and we got little if anything out of the post.  Although Hobaugh and Antwi were decent options, we just needed more. Plus going back in the thread there was rumblings of the team not quite "meshing" together.  Also that team lost a LOT of close games where a play or two could have led to a few more W's. 

Now is that on the coach, yes.  But I get why he did it and I bet if Jones had to do it over again he just brings more freshman or perhaps let Geno play day 1. The mass defections the year later helped to clear the deck and bring in better "fits" in the program, which the team is now reaping the benefits of. Jones should get a bit of credit for that realizing that it wasn't working out the way the team was build and a change was needed.

*Of course he never should have sat out in 2012-2013... thanks NCAA :angry:

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

One must remember the recruiting and coaching challanges Jones had:

UND had not had a winning conference season in the prior three years.

Basketball attendance was down from prior decades.

Transition to Div I.

Challengeing recruiting home base, with large hockey fan base and FB 2nd.

Sioux logo controversy.

Conference changes.

Those are valid points. However, it is fair to point out that WBB had the same issues to deal with and have been more consistent from one year to the next (with one NCAA berth already).

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

We need to put that season in a bit of perspective.

The team lost Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler, Traylor, Brekke.  That team lost 4 starters, several multi-year,  Lots of scoring, rebounding, steals.  When you lose all that... and you didn't have a lot coming back (didn't know what we had with Hooker, Tyler was ready to go off a transfer from UMKC,  and we got lucky with the NCAA being "nice" and letting Nash have a 6th year* Also, who we brought in didn't make any big impacts.  Geno redshirted, Cashman and Shield had small impacts, Coleman barely got on the court and De Rouen was too busy complaining about the gear.  Nash did all he could but wasn't a true #1 option and Hooker just wasn't ready yet until later in the year.  Tyler was okay but we needed more from him, and we got little if anything out of the post.  Although Hobaugh and Antwi were decent options, we just needed more. Plus going back in the thread there was rumblings of the team not quite "meshing" together.  Also that team lost a LOT of close games where a play or two could have led to a few more W's. 

Now is that on the coach, yes.  But I get why he did it and I bet if Jones had to do it over again he just brings more freshman or perhaps let Geno play day 1. The mass defections the year later helped to clear the deck and bring in better "fits" in the program, which the team is now reaping the benefits of.

*Of course he never should have sat out in 2012-2013... thanks NCAA :angry:

Getting to the CIT is great bang for the buck...for lowest paid  D1 HC coach in BSC  and D1 NCAA

• Downvote 1