SiouxSports.com Forum

BRIAN JONES BSC COACH OF THE YEAR!!!

hoops44

10 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

makes sense ok to attack real person WITH WIFE AND CHILDREN but not fake onine persona.....PERFECT

You need to separate your personal feelings (you obviously are biased) with the occupational realities of being a colleagiate DI head coach. There is natural criticism with the job due to the open competition and, subsequently, pressure and turnover. These coaches aren't necessary underpaid by any stretch of the imagination, even if you think Jones is receiving next to nothing. If you don't perform, you lose your job. Jones and his team have performed and Jones will keep his job. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

Part of the gig. Hasn't stopped you from anonymously taking shots at players on here  

Congrats Coach Jones. Well deserved. 

also complement and defend players ....my good man.. ps this is not the fire jones thread

Weber St Fan...The reality is that we are paying $400,000 a year for a $140,000 per year position. The fact that we have to rely on private donations to make such payment each year makes it even more crazy. Randy is a great person, but he is over paid. And Scout is right Win Baby Win is justified. North Dakota just won the Big Sky regular season with the lowest paid coach in the conference, a difficult recruiting atmosphere and a fan base completely focused on hockey.

Some of us have been around UND a long time.  We are just cautiously optimistic, that's all. Really can't blame us.  

Want nothing more than for UND to win the Big Sky title and go to the NCAA Tourney.  Jones would then deserve a nice contract extension.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

this reminds too much of the year the fb team beat usd in the stunner at the alerus...muss got an extension he didn't deserve and set us back about a decade...

Yup, the great west in football and the big sky in basketball are exactly the same.  :silly:

Feel free to head over to Bubba's office and tell him that UND can't win the championship in the next four years because we haven't hit that 10 year mark that Muss' extension set them back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I wouldn't say that. UND is winning and that is the most important aspect of it all. My remaining doubts can be alleviated with a BSC tournament championship/NCAA tournament appearance and no choke jobs; Go Hawks! 

That would be very big of you.  However, I doubt many others on here would be saying the same.  Over the past four days he has won coach of the year and secured UND's first conference championship in the last 20+ years and yet it's 90% bashing on here.

A lot of people feeling the need to say "I didn't believe he could do it..." as if when UND loses in the tournament they can then say "seee!!! I told you so!!!!"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, southpaw said:

That would be very big of you.  However, I doubt many others on here would be saying the same.  Over the past four days he has won coach of the year and secured UND's first conference championship in the last 20+ years and yet it's 90% bashing on here.

A lot of people feeling the need to say "I didn't believe he could do it..." as if when UND loses in the tournament they can then say "seee!!! I told you so!!!!"

You don't get it do you? Look at Jones past records and what was accomplished, not much. No conference titles no postseason tournament wins and basically every year a .500 record. This is the best season of Jones's career. So people are skeptic, and you like to ignore Chris Mussman but UND football fans won't forget, and Jones ranks right up there. So sorry if people are on the side of caution when talking about extensions. 

Jones deserves an extension it's as fair as that. Let's see if he's able to live up to whatever it is he's given. I hoping nothing more than a 3-year deal. Give him two years in the Summit and see what he's able to do with it. He should have the benefit in the first year of the Summit of having Geno, Avants, Seales, Stewart and Collins all seniors. 

21 minutes ago, Irish said:

Two big questions that I think most are thinking?  - First, is this year an outlier  or has Jones really upped his coaching chops?

Second - does a conference championship outweigh the years where we had great talent and played street ball?  

^^^^^ This!!! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

To me, that's the problem.  UND shouldn't allow the Men's Basketball program to go 20+ years between conference championships.  They wouldn't let the football program go that long, and they CERTAINLY wouldn't let the hockey program go that long.  

Rich Glas wasn't fired, but he was "encouraged" to take another opportunity when it was presented.  And that was because the program had gone stale under his watch.  Jones was brought in to revitalize the program after the later Glas years.  He never did that.  If this year is the "revitalization", it shouldn't have taken 10+ years.  

Based on the results of this season, I expect Jones to be retained and extended for multiple seasons. Honestly, though that is kind of weird to me, because I am confident there isn't a DI school in the country that would offer him a head coaching position.  In fact, I'm not sure that there is an NSIC team that would hire him as a head coach.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, hoops44 said:

... a difficult recruiting atmosphere and a fan base completely focused on hockey.

For being such a UND/Brian Jones fan, you apparently did not attend very many UND men's basketball games at the Betty this season. 

UND fans loved themselves some hoops this season and the Betty was consistently rocking, particularity the "conference championship" game against Portland State.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

My end-point expectation for DI UND men's basketball has always been for UND to consistently reach the NCAA tournament. It's lofty but certainly not impossible, especially if Moo U can do it. 

Furthermore, it's 90% bashing because of Jones' body of work at UND (losing record). If he wants positive reputation points, he needs to consistently win. He'll get the opportunity to prove his worth as an extension is almost certainly coming. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My end-point expectation for DI UND men's basketball has always been for UND to consistently reach the NCAA tournament. It's lofty but certainly not impossible, especially if Moo U can do it. 

Furthermore, it's 90% bashing because of Jones' body of work at UND (losing record). If he wants positive reputation points, he needs to consistently win. 

:0  Prepare to get razzed for mentioning the dreaded school to the south. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1