SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

My thought on Jost:

If he's going to jump, jump now, but demand rookie max deal (3 years) and demand one game in the NHL yet this year to chop a year off that purgatory. 

Yup. Jam up COL and tell them, "If not that, I'm at UND for the full four" and ... well, ...  tell 'em Judge Smails! 

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My thought on Jost:

If he's going to jump, jump now, but demand rookie max deal (3 years) and demand one game in the NHL yet this year to chop a year off that purgatory. 

Yup. Jam up COL and tell them, "If not that, I'm at UND for the full four" and ... well, ...  tell 'em Judge Smails! 

I think his deal slides based on age...in other words, I don't think he burns a year of ELC unless he plays 10 games, because he is still junior eligible

Just now, yzerman19 said:

I don't think his deal slides based on age...in other words, I don't think he burns a year of ELC unless he plays 10 games, because he is still junior eligible

Are you sure?  I guess I never really thought of it that way.  Boeser was still junior eligible this year and they said by playing one game he'd burn that first year.

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I don't think his deal slides based on age...in other words, I don't think he burns a year of ELC unless he plays 10 games, because he is still junior eligible

One. Ten. Whatever. Demand the first year be met on July 1, 2017 so only two of the rookie deal three remain. 

That said, does another year at UND for a guy Jost's age put him in a better negotiation position in spring 2018? 

Its age based- Brock is 20

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Boeser suiting up less than 24 hours after that type of loss shows these guys understand hockey is a business and every stop is a stepping stone to their ultimate goal. 

And remember @siouxforce19 Frattins last year, right after the loss and him getting screwed in the Hobey award? Melrose announced "don't worry Sioux fans Mr Frattin will be playing in the NHL tomorrow night"  I thought nothing negative of that (or Boeser) I actually thought that was really cool to hear.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Boeser burns a year, gets closer to the big bucks

Jost would not this year, but it might help him make the squad next year

Makes more sense then. Thanks.  Wasn't sure of Boeser's age

15 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

And remember @siouxforce19 Frattins last year, right after the loss and him getting screwed in the Hobey award? Melrose announced "don't worry Sioux fans Mr Frattin will be playing in the NHL tomorrow night"  I thought nothing negative of that (or Boeser) I actually thought that was really cool to hear.

I'll be honest. I probably was just a little over sensitive yesterday. I had a terrible day prior to the game and everything just made me upset. 

I'm a big enough person to admit when I overreact to things. 

I remember Frattin's vividly as I spoke with him that day and asked him when we were going to see him in the NHL and the kid said nothing lol. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, siouxforce19 said:

I'll be honest. I probably was just a little over sensitive yesterday. I had a terrible day prior to the game and everything just made me upset. 

I'm a big enough person to admit when I overreact to things. 

I remember Frattin's vividly as I spoke with him that day and asked him when we were going to see him in the NHL and the kid said nothing lol. 

I wasn't overreacting yesterday at all...not a bit...I never overreact to sports after 7/8 beers...never...especially not season ending losses in double OT after thinking it was won.  I keep that totally in proportion with my regular sober, real-life...total perspective...always...

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Brock is a great talent, and played a huge role on last year's team.  That being said, it was definitely time for him to go.  He clearly wasn't as motivated this year as last year so perhaps he needs a new challenge.  Jost, Poolman, and Boesser will all get a chance in the NHL.  Jost and Poolman will stay there.

I think you are dead wrong on Boeser not being motivated this year.  The wrist injury definitely played into his performance but I always saw great effort.  He did not have the same caliber of talent with Caggiula and Nick both leaving.  Schmaltz was a sophomore and his game improved dramatically from his Freshman year.  Jost was a Freshman and had to go through the learning curve.  I always thought Boeser was a class act and represented UND in proud form.  Congratulations to his debut today and here is hoping he has a great NHL career.

• Upvote 1