SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

All I will say is how many people had Denver as the team to beat going into last year?  I recall people getting defensive last year when some of us said UND had a lot of players to replace, especially at defense.  If Denver gets all of their players back, they definitely will be favorites, but sometimes they could play like they are favorites and if they aren't all in when it comes to the sacrifices necessary to do all the little things, that could become a problem.  I remember when Hakstol sat down with players that were coming back and made sure they were all in for the program.  Not saying that it will happen, but if you are a high end talent like Borgstrom and have a hefty salary awaiting you, are you always going to be ready to take a big hit to make a play?  There are some players that the compete level is what separates them, while others rely on great talent.  Borgstrom and the other Pioneers could be both, in which case they could be incredibly difficult to beat.  St. Cloud is another team that will be very good next year.

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And that was an accurate description of our program at the time. We were "the king of the mountain". Denver really didn't have to go through us, we were in different regions and we didn't make the Frozen Four last year. But as defending champions, everyone wants a piece of your hide and Denver will have to run that gauntlet next season. You will get everyone's A game every night, every weekend. While having most of your top players back will make that easier, it will be a grind for them. Meanwhile, UND won't have that pressure, especially with the young guys we will count on for scoring next year.

And finally, several years ago, Denver had a team that the Denver Post was anointing the NCAA title, saying "the stars are aligned". Well, something called RIT knocked those stars out of alignment. Awarding NCAA titles the June before the season starts is risky business.

Correct. Wait until October like Minnesota does.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, tnt said:

All I will say is how many people had Denver as the team to beat going into last year?  I recall people getting defensive last year when some of us said UND had a lot of players to replace, especially at defense.  If Denver gets all of their players back, they definitely will be favorites, but sometimes they could play like they are favorites and if they aren't all in when it comes to the sacrifices necessary to do all the little things, that could become a problem.  I remember when Hakstol sat down with players that were coming back and made sure they were all in for the program.  Not saying that it will happen, but if you are a high end talent like Borgstrom and have a hefty salary awaiting you, are you always going to be ready to take a big hit to make a play?  There are some players that the compete level is what separates them, while others rely on great talent.  Borgstrom and the other Pioneers could be both, in which case they could be incredibly difficult to beat.  St. Cloud is another team that will be very good next year.

I had Denver as the team to beat last year and as of now I would have them as the team to beat for the upcoming season....the nice thing is that in college hockey the team to beat does in fact get beat.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Defensive? I guess I don't want to go back to playing second fiddle to someone else, like we did to Boston College for years. The mere thought of playing second-fiddle to Denver for several years just turns my stomach. :angry:

And no, I am not being objective and I don't have to be. This is SiouxSports.com, not Pioneer Central. :p

I, too, hate being second fiddle - I want us to be the dominate program of this era.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish said:

I, too, hate being second fiddle - I want us to be the dominate program of this era.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.

dominant.  For example, I'll use the two words in a sentence to show how they differ:

I expect North Dakota to dominate the NCHC this season and become the dominant team in the nation.

:lol: 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

dominant.  For example, I'll use the two words in a sentence to show how they differ:

I expect North Dakota to dominate the NCHC this season and become the dominant team in the nation.

:lol: 

I'm blaming spell check

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2017 at 0:38 AM, yzerman19 said:

Kiefer Bellows leaving BU...sounds like he's headed to Portland in the WHL

On 6/3/2017 at 0:52 AM, cberkas said:

That's been known for a week or two, he signed with Portland.

Hey, cut yzerman19 some slack.  He just found out the Red Wings are shutting down Joe Louis Arena.  :lol:

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Hey, cut yzerman19 some slack.  He just found out the Red Wings are shutting down Joe Louis Arena.  :lol:

Our crack staff has found a recording of yzerman19's reaction to the JLA news. 

28f9dca05b2f383b0a6446a173819ca1.gif

Terry, Borgstrom, Jaillet, and Hammond all coming back for next season.  Gambrell is still undecided. 

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/12/du-pioneers-hockey-recruits/

Denver will be very good next season, but people should remember that they lost a Hobey Baker winner along with a large group of Seniors.  DU will be in the mix come March, but I'm not going to give them the title just yet. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Report that Frederik Tiffels has left Western Michigan.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/6/22/15855220/frederik-tiffels-signs-with-pittsburgh-penguins

He had a cup of coffee with the Force before heading off to WMU.

I'll believe it given CapFriendly.com already has the details of his contract with PIT listed online. ;)

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/frederik-tiffels 

• 2 weeks later...