SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

Denver could have a great year next year if the right pieces fall in place.  If Monty comes back you're looking at another Denver back to back.  If Monty leaves you watch those guys take off for greener (pun intended) pastures.

Monty is the key....so yes, I'd like to see him go to Florida. :)

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha defensive much 

19 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Denver could have a great year next year if the right pieces fall in place.  If Monty comes back you're looking at another Denver back to back.  If Monty leaves you watch those guys take off for greener (pun intended) pastures.

Monty is the key....so yes, I'd like to see him go to Florida. :)

Everyone is talking like Denver is the next Boston College. During our championship drought, people were telling me how hard it was to win a natty and how much "parity" there was in college hockey. Now we have Wilbur talking about a Denver "back to back" and others talking about how unbeatable they are going to be next year and how apparently money does not talk that loud to players wearing a Denver jersey. Champions always have a target painted on their backs. We won't have to worry about that next year, because there's a puzzling consensus amongst our own fans that our team won't be all that good next year. I think otherwise. I guess the truth will come out of the wash like it always does.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Everyone is talking like Denver is the next Boston College. During our championship drought, people were telling me how hard it was to win a natty and how much "parity" there was in college hockey. Now we have Wilbur talking about a Denver "back to back" and others talking about how unbeatable they are going to be next year and how apparently money does not talk that loud to players wearing a Denver jersey. Champions always have a target painted on their backs. We won't have to worry about that next year, because there a puzzling consensus amongst our own fans that our team won't be all that good next year. I think otherwise. I guess the truth will come out of the wash like it always does.

We're entering an era of non parity! :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Everyone is talking like Denver is the next Boston College. During our championship drought, people were telling me how hard it was to win a natty and how much "parity" there was in college hockey. Now we have Wilbur talking about a Denver "back to back" and others talking about how unbeatable they are going to be next year and how apparently money does not talk that loud to players wearing a Denver jersey. Champions always have a target painted on their backs. We won't have to worry about that next year, because there's a puzzling consensus amongst our own fans that our team won't be all that good next year. I think otherwise. I guess the truth will come out of the wash like it always does.

I think most of our fans are pretty optimistic about next season. A good core group coming back and some studs coming in. 

But depending on what DU returns, they will also be good and could make a run. 

I think that's just what people are saying. Not like it's a sure thing DU goes back to back or anything. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think they will have a very difficult time winning back to back. I also think we will be an extremely difficult team to play against next season, I'm thinking along the lines of the Macmillan/Parks senior seasons, my worry next season is offense. I think next year's team steals a few games on grit alone. As much as I like having the amazing blue chippers, I'm a bigger fan of teams that exceed the sum of their parts, which I think next year's team could easily do.

3 hours ago, siouxweet said:

So does this mean Monty is more beloved by his players than Berry is as it seems like UND's players couldn't wait to get out of Dodge the last two years and his aren't in as much of a hurry to leave?

The difference between the UND players last year and DU's this year is most of our players that did leave after the natty had turned down pro contracts the previous year. Not often do players turn down pro contracts twice, especially after winning a natty. 

I think our group will be tough next year, but if Denver returns:  Gambrell, Terry, Borgstrom, and Jaillet they've got to be the favorite in the NCHC, and likely ranked number one in the early polls (means nothing....I know....)

If our great players hadn't been great last year at the F4 (quote Monty) Denver may have already had their back to back.

Take the money Monty.....Florida is definitely a hockey state....defenitely.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Snake said:

The only reason DU has a shot at back-to-back next season is because we had so many early departures last season.  We should be talking three-peat! ;)

Imagine the group we could have had this season.....:huh:

Boeser-Schmaltz-Jost

Pogo-LJ-Rhett

Gersich-Hoff-Janatuinen

Bowen-Simo-Olson

Stecher-Ausmus

Poolman-Ladue

Thompson-Poolman

Ufff........:(

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All I said was that DU would be good.  

23 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I would suspect that once again there will be a few teams in the NCHC that will be very good next year and that have a legitimate shot at a Natty with a few breaks.  When it comes down to one and done, there are always upsets on the way and the best team does not always win it all.  Long ways to go before next April and there will be alot of development of players during that period of time.  UND has a number of candidates capable of taking that next step and I have no doubt we will be "In the Hunt" as usual next year.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:20 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

I really don't think we have a chance next year.  Our D is the gift that keeps on giving; we can't play 60 minutes to save our souls; what 1st rounders we have don't show up when it counts; the PP scores fewer goals than the PK; MICHIGAN STATE??; and Katie never gets that friggin hair dangle out of her face.     

I'll probably still watch the games, but don't expect me to get too excited about it.  Staying away from Netflix this summer so I have a big supply built up. 

2 hours ago, burd said:

I really don't think we have a chance next yeat.  Our D is the gift that keeps on giving; we can't play 60 minutes to save our souls; what 1st rounders we have don't show up when it counts; the PP scores fewer goals than the PK; MICHIGAN STATE??; and Katie never gets that friggin hair dangle out of her face.     

I'll probably still watch the games, but don't expect me to get too excited about it.  Staying away from Netflix this summer so I have a big supply built up. 

I really hope you are being sarcastic. Because this type of negative thinking is what prompted my post in the first place.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

All I said was that DU would be good.  

I wasn't talking to you specifically. I was commenting on some of the negativity on this forum after a "down" year (by our standards anyway). We have some nice kids coming in next year, plus a group of defensemen who improved over the course of 2016-17 and will be better in 2017-18. The whole NCHC figures to be good, that's why I love being in this league and why the B1G would be a B1G mistake.

23 hours ago, Fetch said:

We need a couple Ryan Duncan's who can consistently score

23 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

FYP 

He played with two greats, but nobody could flip a card into the hat from his office chair like Duncan. 

• Upvote 1