SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

28 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Just guessing ....for the AVS to get him to sign ....there is an agreement that he has already made the team and will be there the entire season, next year.

Does that even happen? "Here's a contract of no matter how crappy we think you're doing we can't send you down."?

14 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Does that even happen? "Here's a contract of no matter how crappy we think you're doing we can't send you down."?

If he could prove such a promise, and if they did not conform, Jost could argue that he was fraudulently induced and attempt to void the contract.   Of course the written contract would contain terms designed to prevent that, including an integration clause. 

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Breaking News:  The Av's suck.  They need all the help they can get.  Jost will be playing in Colorado all next year.

If they had anyone better in the A they'd be with the Avs long before now. Jost will no doubt be with the Avs, and until they make more upgrades it won't be pretty. He definitely didn't look like the same player we watched all year, and until the Avs get better, he probably won't look much better next year. A terrible place to play a few games with the rest of the team pretty much already mailing it in for this season. Would have been much better to spend another year at UND, then let the avs burn an entry level year after next season. No idea how frustrating it mush be for a good player to play with this team.

15 minutes ago, sprig said:

If they had anyone better in the A they'd be with the Avs long before now. Jost will no doubt be with the Avs, and until they make more upgrades it won't be pretty. He definitely didn't look like the same player we watched all year, and until the Avs get better, he probably won't look much better next year. A terrible place to play a few games with the rest of the team pretty much already mailing it in for this season. Would have been much better to spend another year at UND, then let the avs burn an entry level year after next season. No idea how frustrating it mush be for a good player to play with this team.

They said yesterday that everybody on the Avs was in the minus category, but Jost isn't, so he is more than holding his own so far, even though he hasn't added a lot offensively.  Did their complete aversion to college players until recently play a part in their demise?

I need some help understanding the difference between burning a year and sliding a year. If you sign an ELC and play at least ten games, then you "burn" a year - meaning the first year of your ELC is history. If you sign an ELC and play fewer than ten games then your contract starts ("slides" to) the following season. Is that how it works?

11 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I need some help understanding the difference between burning a year and sliding a year. If you sign an ELC and play at least ten games, then you "burn" a year - meaning the first year of your ELC is history. If you sign an ELC and play fewer than ten games then your contract starts ("slides" to) the following season. Is that how it works?

Yeah I believe so.  I think you have to be under 20 as well (during the first year you play <10 NHL games).

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Anyone know the Jost families financial situation? I'm pretty sure it's a single parent household. We all know how brutally expensive hockey is. Maybe he turned pro to help his mom out?

Certainly a possibility. 

I don't think that anyone thinks he is going to flop, so I don't see how him getting paid and starting on his first contract is going to be his downfall.  He may not be as dominant as he would have been if he waited another year, but I think he'll be just fine. 

Let’s try to keep in mind that Jost has always been very educated and calculated in his approach to his hockey career. He was the one that recognized that there is a 15% success rate of going to the NHL through UND, which is a statistic that I hope our recruiters will throw around more often. If you read “The Denver Post” article on his decision, his mom was actually leaning towards college for another year, but said that Tyson educated himself in terms of what’s the best for him. Apparently, Tyson presented his decision like a business case, and he had done all his homework.

Something that I hope hasn’t been entirely overlooked or forgotten is the fact that our 3 best players were all injured this year against UMD. If Tyson indeed did all his homework—and I’m sure that he did—then I wouldn’t be surprised if he brought up the fact that refs like Anderson have proven themselves completely incapable of controlling the game and keeping the players on the ice from being seriously harmed. If I’m a single mom that has invested my entire life into the safety and security of my child, do I really want him going to Duluth in an away series when targets like Boeser and Poolman are gone and Anderson is in charge again? I don't blame him for leaving. By the end of the season he was openly getting tackled against NO. I don't think that finances had much to do with it, and that aspect of his life is really nobody’s business anyways.

I couldn't care less about the Frozen Faceoff. I see it as an opportunity for smaller programs like CC that hardly ever get the opportunity to win the NCAA tournament to put together a few games, steal a tourney, and hang banners. This isn't one of those post-loss rants. 

This is all on top of the fact that we now have 10 players that would be questionable if we were hypothetically playing this weekend. I’m not sure if it’s a reffing issue or a training issue, but this is going to be something that hurts Sioux recruiting, and college recruiting more generally, for years to come if it isn’t fixed. 

Not to mention the missed embellishment calls all year long from certain teams doesn't align with how Canadian prospects view the game. Nor does it look good for anyone. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, SC Sioux said:

Let’s try to keep in mind that Jost has always been very educated and calculated in his approach to his hockey career. He was the one that recognized that there is a 15% success rate of going to the NHL through UND, which is a statistic that I hope our recruiters will throw around more often. If you read “The Denver Post” article on his decision, his mom was actually leaning towards college for another year, but said that Tyson educated himself in terms of what’s the best for him. Apparently, Tyson presented his decision like a business case, and he had done all his homework.

Something that I hope hasn’t been entirely overlooked or forgotten is the fact that our 3 best players were all injured this year against UMD. If Tyson indeed did all his homework—and I’m sure that he did—then I wouldn’t be surprised if he brought up the fact that refs like Anderson have proven themselves completely incapable of controlling the game and keeping the players on the ice from being seriously harmed. If I’m a single mom that has invested my entire life into the safety and security of my child, do I really want him going to Duluth in an away series when targets like Boeser and Poolman are gone and Anderson is in charge again? I don't blame him for leaving. By the end of the season he was openly getting tackled against NO. I don't think that finances had much to do with it, and that aspect of his life is really nobody’s business anyways.

I couldn't care less about the Frozen Faceoff. I see it as an opportunity for smaller programs like CC that hardly ever get the opportunity to win the NCAA tournament to put together a few games, steal a tourney, and hang banners. This isn't one of those post-loss rants. 

This is all on top of the fact that we now have 10 players that would be questionable if we were hypothetically playing this weekend. I’m not sure if it’s a reffing issue or a training issue, but this is going to be something that hurts Sioux recruiting, and college recruiting more generally, for years to come if it isn’t fixed. 

Not to mention the missed embellishment calls all year long from certain teams doesn't align with how Canadian prospects view the game. Nor does it look good for anyone. 

Great post. The same issue arose when Zach Parise and Brady Murray were playing for UND. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

@Oxbow6  I have it as the second-worst decision to leave early - right behind the one where you quit the Alpha Tau Omega intramural basketball team in the middle of your senior year because you thought the Timberwolves were gonna select you in the NBA expansion draft. 

Thought Oxbow6 was Lambda Lambda Lambda?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

@Oxbow6 I have it as the second-worst decision to leave early - right behind the one where you quit the Alpha Tau Omega intramural basketball team in the middle of your senior year because you thought the Timberwolves were gonna select you in the NBA expansion draft. 

Hey. We moved several players up to the next level!:D Well 1 anyway and that was because he was at UND to play football but wasn't the most focused guy academically at the time. he washed out at UND, played JUCO hoops for a year and then played hoops at SDSU.

Actually at one point our intramural team had 1 guy who played his freshmen year at VCSU, 1 guy who played his freshmen season at BSC, the guy referenced above who was runnerup for Minnesota Mr. Basketball and played FB at UND until he left school and ended up playing hoops at SDSU and 3 other guys who had offers at all the smaller ND schools(BSC, Lake Region, VCSU, DSU, etc.).We had a stretch where we took 3rd, 1st, and 2nd. The teams that beat us had players like Tracy Martin(FB, former NYJ) and other football players and UND basketball washouts. We always went undefeated in the Fraternity Division and usually won by lopsided margins. When we knew games were going to be ugly we would play hard man to man until the other team scored and then settle into a relaxed zone. Played the TKE house and jumped to a 37-0 lead before they scored and they held the ball at the end of the game when they figured out we were trying to beat them by 100(think we won by 96 or 97)

7 hours ago, petey23 said:

Hey. We moved several players up to the next level!:D Well 1 anyway and that was because he was at UND to play football but wasn't the most focused guy academically at the time. he washed out at UND, played JUCO hoops for a year and then played hoops at SDSU.

Actually at one point our intramural team had 1 guy who played his freshmen year at VCSU, 1 guy who played his freshmen season at BSC, the guy referenced above who was runnerup for Minnesota Mr. Basketball and played FB at UND until he left school and ended up playing hoops at SDSU and 3 other guys who had offers at all the smaller ND schools(BSC, Lake Region, VCSU, DSU, etc.).We had a stretch where we took 3rd, 1st, and 2nd. The teams that beat us had players like Tracy Martin(FB, former NYJ) and other football players and UND basketball washouts. We always went undefeated in the Fraternity Division and usually won by lopsided margins. When we knew games were going to be ugly we would play hard man to man until the other team scored and then settle into a relaxed zone. Played the TKE house and jumped to a 37-0 lead before they scored and they held the ball at the end of the game when they figured out we were trying to beat them by 100(think we won by 96 or 97)

@petey23 My post was meant in jest - I picked ATO at random.  How is that house doing in Grand Forks these days?