SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm just saying he made my jaw drop every time I saw him play live his fr year which was a lot.

He was great, and I've been a Chicago fan ever since he left us.  I just think that the Natty and the points tip it to BB.  

42 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Do I think Toews is a better hockey player?  Yes.  Did Toews have a more impactful and better freshman year- no.  Toews rookie year we also had Zajac and Stafford and Oshie and Duncan, so it wasn't like he didn't also have a supporting cast. 

IIRC, Toews had just turned 17 when he arrived on campus for his freshman year.  Pretty impressive for such a young player.

Wasn't he hurt part of his first year?  Or was that the next year when Duncan won the Hobey? ("Best player in the country?  I'm not even the best player on my line.")

Just now, Blackheart said:

IIRC, Toews had just turned 17 when he arrived on campus for his freshman year.  Pretty impressive for such a young player.

Wasn't he hurt part of his first year?  Or was that the next year when Duncan won the Hobey? ("Best player in the country?  I'm not even the best player on my line.")

He was 17 as a frosh.  I don't remember him being hurt.  I do remember his heroics at the WJC.

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

He was 17 as a frosh.  I don't remember him being hurt.  I do remember his heroics at the WJC.

According to hockey db, Toews played 42 games as a frosh (05-06), and 34 as a sophomore (06-07).  Duncan won the Hobey in 2006-07.

5 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

He must've gotten dinged up that sophomore year then- thats a decade ago...wow

Hard to believe it's been that long.  A friend of mine, who was (and still is) on the Hobey committee at the time, said he was the best player in the country as a freshman.  Guess he knew what he was talking about.

So, does Will Butcher still entertain signing with Colorado after this year, or does he go elsewhere because of the snub last summer?  How do you not try sign him after last year? That's why Colorado is a mess.

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

So, does Will Butcher still entertain signing with Colorado after this year, or does he go elsewhere because of the snub last summer?  How do you not try sign him after last year? That's why Colorado is a mess.

There's more to it then not signing Butcher. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Colorado told Will they aren't going to sign him ever. He will be going elsewhere this summer. 

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Colorado told Will they aren't going to sign him ever. He will be going elsewhere this summer. 

Not saying he will be a great pro, but it seems strange that someone with his college career doesn't get a sniff from them. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Hard to believe it's been that long.  A friend of mine, who was (and still is) on the Hobey committee at the time, said he was the best player in the country as a freshman.  Guess he knew what he was talking about.

Hard to believe a kid that young could be so good at possessing the puck in the dirty areas.   He was long but not mature physically.    Mentally?  Far beyond his years.

9 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Let's give JC a little more cred... although him and Rocco were usually a package deal :D

Rocco was electric, but it never seemed to translate because he'd make passes that no one was ready for. Also didn't help that he messed up his knee

9 minutes ago, franchise said:

Rocco was electric, but it never seemed to translate because he'd make passes that no one was ready for. Also didn't help that he messed up his knee

Always saw him as the poor man's version if Johnny Gaudreau. I thought Rocco would have spent more time in the NHL by now.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

Another reason that the Avs are having a tremendous run.  I'd have him on the blue line the day after that national championship if I was the Avs.

That is if they have a game that day. :)

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Another reason that the Avs are having a tremendous run.  I'd have him on the blue line the day after that national championship if I was the Avs.

That is if they have a game that day. :)

If I was him, I would wait until after the school year. Get your degree and be a hero on campus.