SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

3 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

Garrett Clarke?

That might be the one.  If my memory isn't failing me, he committed and convinced the first hand full of teams in the draft that they shouldn't pick him because he was going the college route.  Ended up falling to the team he wanted and came out to some over the top showing that made it clear he never intended to play at UND 

1 hour ago, hrkac said:

throw that thing away! :) 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I did last night.........asked it "what are my chances with my wife tonight"? "Never" came up.

C'mon, that could be EVERY married guy's Magic 8 Ball!  Yours isn't special at all!  

2 hours ago, Irish said:

I have to admit I am really not used to rebuilding seasons - I have said before (to much criticism) that I thought we had a couple of misfire recruiting years (stars aside).  For example, what if instead of Wilke we got another forward with comparable scoring stats and potential who improved in college and became a stud?  Whole new ballgame.  

I wouldn't give up on Wilkie just yet.  We have had a number of players over the years that all of a sudden blossomed in their last year or 2.  Everybody was all over O'Donnell his first couple of years and he was a pretty important part of the team at the end.  There are others.  I would not be surprised to see Wilkie become a solid contributor.  I also think that Januatuinen and Hoff have very nice careers at UND.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fsioux said:

I wouldn't give up on Wilkie just yet.  We have had a number of players over the years that all of a sudden blossomed in their last year or 2.  Everybody was all over O'Donnell his first couple of years and he was a pretty important part of the team at the end.  There are others.  I would not be surprised to see Wilkie become a solid contributor.  I also think that Januatuinen and Hoff have very nice careers at UND.

Agreed he struggled his first two years in the USHL....then scored a bunch in his last year.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Got that covered.  Knew someone would tag me on that NoBeer!

16 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I couldn't help myself :lol:

I was looking for a reply to that because I thought the exact same thing and was about to reply hahaha. IHTINB and I are usually on the same page hahaha.

18 minutes ago, franchise said:

That might be the one.  If my memory isn't failing me, he committed and convinced the first hand full of teams in the draft that they shouldn't pick him because he was going the college route.  Ended up falling to the team he wanted and came out to some over the top showing that made it clear he never intended to play at UND 

Garrett Clarke played with Aaron Dell later on in the lower minor leagues.  There was an article about that and his regrets with not going NCAA. 

4 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Frats! Had a 25 point sophomore year after 15 as a freshy, got suspended had a great second half of his junior year and then went bananas in his senior year. It can happen.

41 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Frats! Had a 25 point sophomore year after 15 as a freshy, got suspended had a great second half of his junior year and then went bananas in his senior year. It can happen.

Just take C. Sanderson off last year's team.  

Article on Jost from the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/30/tyson-jost-joins-avalanche/

“It was a tough decision,” he said. “Obviously, North Dakota was great to me and I have the utmost respect for that program and everything they’ve done for me. At the end of the day, I just thought I wanted to take that next step and I wanted the challenge. I wanted to take that risk. . . I’ve dreamed about this my while life, playing in the NHL and it was right there in front of me. I thought why not take it, this was my dream.”

The Fighting Hawks lost 4-3 in double overtime to Boston University in the first round of the NCAA West Regional last Friday. Asked what happened after that, leading to his signing, Jost said, “There were a lot of little things that went into it. Obviously, I spent a lot of time with my family and my agent (J.P. Barry), just talking over the decision, obviously along with the Avs organization too. I just thought it was best if I came up here and sign that contract.”

Did the Avs aggressively approach him or did he let them know he was ready to sign?

“It was kind of mutual,” Jost said. “They respected that I loved my time at UND and they knew I was going to make the right decision and obviously they went over the pros and cons. Joe (Sakic) and I had a really good talk and they were really respectful about my decision  They gave me time and they gave me space and they were really professional and good about it.

Hard to argue with a kid about his dream, IMO. Good luck, Josty. I'll definitely be rooting for ya.

• Upvote 2