SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

But Nick after one year at UND would not be the same Nick in CHI as he is now. Jost would have benefitted  from year 2 at UND.

Jost was a few clicks better than Schmaltz.....comparing their freshman year's.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Hak had multiple rebuilding years.  However he was able to keep highenders for 2-3 years.  The NHL is changing where younger players are thriving.  Teams are more willing to let the kids play, thus signing them early.  Hak always had highenders coming in every year, from a recruiting perspective so his rebuilding years were slightly masked.

The NHL continues to trend "soft".  This will continue......sadly.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think that's his point. Schmaltz didn't leave after his freshman year.

His point (I believe) was that Jost should have came back for another year (where I dont disagree).  My point was that Jost was better as a frosh (thus making him closer to NHL ready than Schmaltz).

2 hours ago, UND1981 said:

I hate the 1 and done scenario on Jost.  First for us since Eddie Belfour in 1997.  Great young man that will be missed!  Best wishes on your NHL career--- Yost (great Norwegian nickname bestowed on him.)

Belfour played at UND in 97?

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

His point (I believe) was that Jost should have came back for another year (where I dont disagree).  My point was that Jost was better as a frosh (thus making him closer to NHL ready than Schmaltz).

My point is Nick spends 90% of his first pro year in the A if he leaves after his Fr. year.  Jost, I'm sure, was promised the Golden Goose plus COL is so bad.

With Cam coming back Tomek (and Philly who drafted him high for a goalie) are in an interesting position.  I would assume he gets a little more playing time next year  if he stays but he wouldn't be the full time goalie until his senior year assuming he beats out the youngsters. But if he jumps to another NCAA team he has to sit out a year. With very limited NCAA experience I don't see him in the AHL at this point so signing becomes less appealing.  I'm intrigued how this will play out. 

11 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Haks had his haters but amazingly, despite the departures some season, it seems like we never had rebuilding years with him at the helm but looking now like you're right.  A second year rebuilding for Berry after first year winning natty with Hak's players.  Both real good coaches though so no complaints here in that arena.

I have to admit I am really not used to rebuilding seasons - I have said before (to much criticism) that I thought we had a couple of misfire recruiting years (stars aside).  For example, what if instead of Wilke we got another forward with comparable scoring stats and potential who improved in college and became a stud?  Whole new ballgame.  

7 minutes ago, TNF said:

With Cam coming back Tomek (and Philly who drafted him high for a goalie) are in an interesting position.  I would assume he gets a little more playing time next year  if he stays but he wouldn't be the full time goalie until his senior year assuming he beats out the youngsters. But if he jumps to another NCAA team he has to sit out a year. With very limited NCAA experience I don't see him in the AHL at this point so signing becomes less appealing.  I'm intrigued how this will play out. 

They drafted Tomek high for a goalie maybe but he wasn't the first they drafted that year and I don't believe he was the last either. Philly is loaded with goalies in the system. 

• Upvote 1

Studs who de-committed over the last 4 years: JT Miller (superstar), Matteau (has seen time in NHL), Gropp (been a stud finisher in the WHL)- interesting thing on him is that he got released back to WHL as an overage after a poor showing at Rangers camp, UND would've made him better.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Studs who de-committed over the last 4 years: JT Miller (superstar), Matteau (has seen time in NHL), Gropp (been a stud finisher in the WHL)- interesting thing on him is that he got released back to WHL as an overage after a poor showing at Rangers camp, UND would've made him better.

Can include Lemiuex in this too.

And according to Adam Wodon of CHN, Seth Jones! Dude made a real fool of himself refusing to admit he was wrong about Jones commiting and decommiting from UND.