SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

6 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah, Hak's teams never had to win games at the end of the season just to make the tourney like they did this year. 

I'm a big fan of both Hakstol and Berry, but you're joking, right?  Numerous times they needed to go on a huge winning streak to get in.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Haks had his haters but amazingly, despite the departures some season, it seems like we never had rebuilding years with him at the helm but looking now like you're right.  A second year rebuilding for Berry after first year winning natty with Hak's players.  Both real good coaches though so no complaints here in that arena.

Hak had multiple rebuilding years.  However he was able to keep highenders for 2-3 years.  The NHL is changing where younger players are thriving.  Teams are more willing to let the kids play, thus signing them early.  Hak always had highenders coming in every year, from a recruiting perspective so his rebuilding years were slightly masked.

1 hour ago, franchise said:

So much of Jost's game doesn't show up in the box score. His work along the boards allowed for a lot of offensive zone time.

I think he's a much bigger loss than Brock. Already sent an email about converting the Avs jersey in my closet. Hopefully that eases the grieving process.

I don't know about MUCH bigger, but I agree.   Blkackhawks fans, who are an impatient bunch, get it how important Toews is even when he's not scoring.  Jost was one of the best this program has had, IMO. 

But that isn't cause for despair.   It's a credit to our program and will yield recruitment benefits in the future.  Good opportunity for some guys to step up.

14 minutes ago, burd said:

I don't know about MUCH bigger, but I agree.   Blkackhawks fans, who are an impatient bunch, get it how important Toews is even when he's not scoring.  Jost was one of the best this program has had, IMO. 

But that isn't cause for despair.   It's a credit to our program and will yield recruitment benefits in the future.  Good opportunity for some guys to step up.

We need Josty to become a superstar, and then say he wish he had stayed longer. Perfect for future recruits.

1 hour ago, jk said:

I'm a big fan of both Hakstol and Berry, but you're joking, right?  Numerous times they needed to go on a huge winning streak to get in.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

I think UNDBIZ was being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, jk said:

It's early.

;)

29 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Toews never said he stayed longer nor donates much .....well I wouldn't either after what they did to his brother

What did they "do" to his brother..........other than tell him he wasn't as good as Jonathan and wasn't good enough to play at UND.

BTW where is he now?  Not in the NHL...........

• Upvote 2

I really wish we could get a little more information on Poganski. In the article about Cam staying, Schlossman again words it in a way how they are waiting on Poganski / Gersich, but Poolman is basically gone, even though he hasn't signed. You would think it's more waiting on Gersich and Poganski / Poolman are basically gone.

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

As much as people pile on Cam, it'll be nice to have a solid sr. netminder because our other option would be throwing Tomek into the deep end and praying he swims.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Haks had his haters but amazingly, despite the departures some season, it seems like we never had rebuilding years with him at the helm but looking now like you're right.  A second year rebuilding for Berry after first year winning natty with Hak's players.  Both real good coaches though so no complaints here in that arena.

I hate so much the term 'with Hak's recruits', these players were recruited by Berry too(probably spoke with him more than Hak) and chose to stay on board after Berry was announced as the head coach.  They're as much Berry's recruits as Hak's.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, siouxbois10 said:

Brock had a sub-par year, but Jost was very good. everyone on offense should be returning though and much improved, along with new incoming freshman. we won't have a star on the team next year but everyone will be very good

Brock and Tyson had almost identical stats this year...not sure how you make the statement that Brock was subpar and Tyson very good when they produced the same. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Yeah, that was horrible expecting him to make the lineup on merit.

Also, from what I heard, David Toews didn't exactly excel academically and allegedly didn't make the 'right' choices when it came to school work/exams.

Some folks act like the UND coaches unfairly pushed him out the door. There was a lot going on behind the scenes and D. Toews is not completely blameless in how things ended.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah, Hak's teams never had to win games at the end of the season just to make the tourney like they did this year. 

Hak's teams always had "unfinished business" to attend to the following year however. ;)

Please don't turn this into a blast Hak thread but a natty does trigger a mass exodus of talent, it puts a target on your back the next year, and there seems to be a bit of a hangover effect. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TNF said:

Hak's teams always had "unfinished business" to attend to the following year however. ;)

Please don't turn this into a blast Hak thread but a natty does trigger a mass exodus of talent, it puts a target on your back the next year, and there seems to be a bit of a hangover effect. 

Yeah I was being sarcastic.  During the Hak tenure it seemed the team had to make a post-Christmas push more often than not.  Not bashing Hak, as the team was always successful in making that push.

17 minutes ago, TNF said:

This is not the first time we have lost great players and won't be the last.  Have to believe that a lot of the younger players from this years team will continue to develop as they showed during the season and next year's crop looks promising.  Had to figure some of the forwards were going to leave early with guys like Mismash, Jones, Adams and Kawaguchi lined up to come in this fall.  The Natty team was hit hard particularly with the loss of Ladue and Stecher and we paid for the inexperience early in the year but at the end of the year the Freshmen improved significantly and should be solid from the get go this fall.  The sky is not falling.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, fsioux said:

This is not the first time we have lost great players and won't be the last.  Have to believe that a lot of the younger players from this years team will continue to develop as they showed during the season and next year's crop looks promising.  Had to figure some of the forwards were going to leave early with guys like Mismash, Jones, Adams and Kawaguchi lined up to come in this fall.  The Natty team was hit hard particularly with the loss of Ladue and Stecher and we paid for the inexperience early in the year but at the end of the year the Freshmen improved significantly and should be solid from the get go this fall.  The sky is not falling.

Well said! I think you can build a better team with the second level players (and when I say second level I mean not 1st round draft picks). If you have 15 forwards and 8 defenseman all competing for playing time, you have a healthier team atmosphere then if you have players come in with a lot of hype and are deemed the best player on the ice before they even lace up the skates, I think that leads to more individual play. 2 years ago we were lucky to have strong leadership with Cags, Stetcher, Ladue and Asmus which kind of helps put a Boeser or Schmaltz in line. Guarantee this team will be at the top of the NCHC next season and will not come down to the last weekend in order to make the national tournament!