SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

1 minute ago, burd said:

We were lucky to get him in GF for a year, so this can't be a big surprise to anybody, really.  Hope he has the kind of success guys like Toews, Oshie, Parise, etc have had, so future recruits see us as a great preparation for the NHL.   We'd like all these kids to be like Duncan, but that just isn't going to happen with the No 1s. 

Hope he lights em up. 

Spot on.

4 minutes ago, Magiccitysiouxfan said:

What I laugh out loud about is we lose two players on a team that had to win their way into the tournament. way too many missed opportunities and not much big game play! When you really needed them they kind of disappeared. The program will be fine!

So the two most skilled players leave on a team that just had to claw their way in, and you're not worried?

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Magiccitysiouxfan said:

What I laugh out loud about is we lose two players on a team that had to win their way into the tournament. way too many missed opportunities and not much big game play! When you really needed them they kind of disappeared. The program will be fine!

Again.... lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

So the two most skilled players leave on a team that just had to claw their way in, and you're not worried?

I really do believe that, have to have team talent not individuals. Players who are grasping to get better over 1st rounders who are just waiting for the phone to ring. Let's count the championships from Toews, Parise, Oshie, Boeser, Jost? Brock got one on a team that played great together and played good defense and with grit. Very little grit this year. Just my opinion. Now I enjoyed everyone of those players and proud they played for the Sioux!

18 minutes ago, Magiccitysiouxfan said:

I really do believe that, have to have team talent not individuals. Players who are grasping to get better over 1st rounders who are just waiting for the phone to ring. Let's count the championships from Toews, Parise, Oshie, Boeser, Jost? Brock got one on a team that played great together and played good defense and with grit. Very little grit this year. Just my opinion. Now I enjoyed everyone of those players and proud they played for the Sioux!

Jost scored twice against BC in NYC. We don't make the tourney without that win. Boeser scored the GWG in the title game last year. 

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I don't understand why a kid plays college hockey if he is only going to stay a year - what's the point? Best of luck to him. I hope he has a good pro career.

It's a tougher league than the CHL 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Jost scored twice against BC in NYC. We don't make the tourney without that win. Boeser scored the GWG in the title game last year. 

well we could go on and on with each game, no doubt Boeser was awesome in the championship game. I think he disappeared at times this year and that could be health. As far as crediting Jost with getting us in the tournament is a real stretch. How about doing a little more against the Goofs, Michigan St, we were shutout by CC and Omaha. Win any of those and we would not have needed the BC game. 

Like Schmaltz last year, this really stings since I thought like many that we could get another year out of Jost. That being said, it's tough to turn down an offer to play in the NHL and that's where he'll be next year. Good luck to him and I hope he has a long successful career. Jost might be more valuable to UND with what he does after than what he did with his time here. Sign me up for a guy like him every year, even if it's only a year. We don't often deal with really high draft picks and there is a huge difference between someone drafted in the Top 10 and someone who is in the 20s (Boeser, Schmaltz, ect..). Like Keller with Arizona and Jost with Colorado, you are usually drafted by a team that isn't very good. Much more likely for you to make a roster for a team like Colorado than you would with a playoff caliber team.  

8 minutes ago, Magiccitysiouxfan said:

well we could go on and on with each game, no doubt Boeser was awesome in the championship game. I think he disappeared at times this year and that could be health. As far as crediting Jost with getting us in the tournament is a real stretch. How about doing a little more against the Goofs, Michigan St, we were shutout by CC and Omaha. Win any of those and we would not have needed the BC game. 

Jost was awesome Friday night against the gophs 

Like anyone would really choose another year of college classes vrs. their dream, if they have the talent that is.  These kids fly on the ice with split second decisions and cat like reflexes, I think the thought of one more lecture sends these guys running to the pros.  How many of these guys just stay eligible to finish the season........if you want to know who's staying or going, see if they are attending class.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Me thinks that the Avalanche could virtually promise him a spot in the starting lineup next season based on how big of a train wreck that team is right now. I don't think Jost planned on being here one season; it just worked out that way.

How is Rocco not cracking that lineup right now ?

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Brock had a sub-par year, but Jost was very good. everyone on offense should be returning though and much improved, along with new incoming freshman. we won't have a star on the team next year but everyone will be very good

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Not in the least. Would this team be better with Jost and Boeser, of course. There's no denying they had an uphill battle to climb last year, but Schlossman said it best in the end of the year review, there were a lot of dominating performances that didn't go their way throughout. This was a very young team, that when the very large underclassman group (pretty much the entire team), got going, they were a Top 5 team in the country. I said it in another thread, but what impressed me at the end of the year was how solid they were up and down the lineup. They will need others to step up and they won't have a "star" player, but return a lot of very good players with a year or two under their belt.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Looks like another rebuilding year at UND.

Haks had his haters but amazingly, despite the departures some season, it seems like we never had rebuilding years with him at the helm but looking now like you're right.  A second year rebuilding for Berry after first year winning natty with Hak's players.  Both real good coaches though so no complaints here in that arena.

So much of Jost's game doesn't show up in the box score. His work along the boards allowed for a lot of offensive zone time.

I think he's a much bigger loss than Brock. Already sent an email about converting the Avs jersey in my closet. Hopefully that eases the grieving process.