SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

Not a big fan of the article about Boeser calling Stetcher to ask him how it is in Vancouver. I know he's leaving but I hope he is not already mentally gone!

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-stecher-believes-boesers-scoring-touch-will-light-up-canucks-future

Yah kinda odd. I'm sure all players have been keeping in touch from last year's team. He could just pick up the phone this Saturday night if und were to miss the NCAAs. I don't think, like many others, that his two way game is ready. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

Not a big fan of the article about Boeser calling Stetcher to ask him how it is in Vancouver. I know he's leaving but I hope he is not already mentally gone!

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-stecher-believes-boesers-scoring-touch-will-light-up-canucks-future

I personally wonder if that's just the spin on the article. I mean there was another article out of Vancouver earlier this week that made it sound like Boeser was bailing on the rest of the season to sign there this week. I know when Brock is asked he is pretty non-committal. 

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong, Brock is elite. He was on a pretty good line last year with a four year guy (whose pretty good) and second year guy (first round pick) who had made great strides from year one to year two. They helped cover some of the holes in his game and also opened up a lot of space for him to operate. I think his second year here may have been a harder transition then his first year because of that. Not to mention the D-corps we had last year. With a young team and no Drake and Nick to lean on he was easy for opposing teams to focus on. I don't think it would hurt his development to stay one more year, but if he leaves you can't blame him. Most first round picks don't stick around more than two years and that's all I expect when we get kids like him. In my opinion if you get a first round guy to stay longer then two years with all the pressure they're under from the team that drafted them that's pretty damn good. 

• Upvote 1

I heard a Story from a reliable source that he had decided to comeback as all parties felt this year as a lost year of development.

EVERYthing I believe and have read makes me doubt this......but

the guy who relayed it is very creditable and the source was very very very close to Brock

so who knows....I still think it's 95% he gone

9 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

... all parties felt this year as a lost year of development.

Frankly, he hasn't dominated college games like a guy ready for the NHL. Sure, injuries. But, a lot of his season last year was folks focusing in Caggiula and Schmaltz. Now that he's the focus he is being neutralized. His best games lately are when he's not on the top line (and facing the other team's top line). 

13 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I heard a Story from a reliable source that he had decided to comeback as all parties felt this year as a lost year of development.

EVERYthing I believe and have read makes me doubt this......but

the guy who relayed it is very creditable and the source was very very very close to Brock

so who knows....I still think it's 95% he gone

I actually got that feeling from the article. It seems odd that they would try and push him to come immediately after the season and use even one game to knock a year off his deal unless it seemed as though he might actually come back. How difficult this year was for him, it might make him reconsider his readiness as well. I've always felt like Jost would stay two years, you figure in that outside Brock and Tyson, the only true chance of losing another player is Tucker, they might be eyeing getting another title next season, and with that Brock would go down as a UND God.

5 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I actually got that feeling from the article. It seems odd that they would try and push him to come immediately after the season and use even one game to knock a year off his deal unless it seemed as though he might actually come back. How difficult this year was for him, it might make him reconsider his readiness as well. I've always felt like Jost would stay two years, you figure in that outside Brock and Tyson, the only true chance of losing another player is Tucker, they might be eyeing getting another title next season, and with that Brock would go down as a UND God.

Pogo, Gersich, Cam and maybe even Wolanin will have decisions to make along with Brock and Tyson.

1 minute ago, Emerald joker said:

Wolanin? I doubt it. I think he's a 4 year player then hopefully signs with the team that drafted him.

I believe Wolanin received a deal last year...I'm sure he'll receive one this year as well.  Hopefully he doesn't sign.  Many people like to rag on him a bit but his numbers (for a soph) don't lie.  He's good.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, snova4 said:

If we only lose Tucker and Cam (potentially)....our squad will be stacked next year.

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I believe Wolanin received a deal last year...I'm sure he'll receive one this year as well.  Hopefully he doesn't sign.  Many people like to rag on him a bit but his numbers (for a soph) don't lie.  He's good.

Wolanin is good at a lot of things, especially offensively.  However, he needs to work on his defensive shortcomings to become elite.