SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference QUADRUMVIRATE 2016-7

2016-17 has been a great school year for UND athletics!!! We made a name for ourselves among conference opponents. That is a huge step since we have only been members for 5 years, against opponents who have been in the Big Sky since the beginning.

• Upvote 2

The PGA, the (British) Open, the US Open, the Masters. 

The French, the US, the Australian, and Wimbledon. 

Football, men's basketball, women's basketball, women's volleyball: --> the Conference Grand Slam. 

I still want to know how many have pulled it off in on academic season in any conference. 

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The PGA, the (British) Open, the US Open, the Masters. 

The French, the US, the Australian, and Wimbledon. 

Football, men's basketball, women's basketball, women's volleyball: --> the Conference Grand Slam. 

I still want to know how many have pulled it off in on academic season in any conference. 

Grand Slam!!!!  Probably not been done before, anyway not to may knowledge.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:20 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Grand Slam!!!!  Probably not been done before, anyway not to may knowledge.

Asked the question on another board, and the best answers received had teams with with the three big conference champions, but not four.  In some conferences, baseball out ranks vb, so that is pertinent.  

Texas 1995-96 in Southwest Conference, which was it's last year

Won in FB, wbb, vb, baseball, but not mbb.  Mbb is a major miss in my book.

Ohio St in 2005-6 and 2006-7

Won three championships each year in fb, mbb, wbb.  Also won in men's gymnastics and men's volleyball.  But not women's vb or baseball.

Utah in the early 70's had some dominating years in the old WAC.  Haven't confirmed their championships though.

This is truly a blessed time to be a UND fan.  We might have set some sort of record in college athletics.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Asked the question on another board, and the best answers received had teams with with the three big conference champions, but not four.  In some conferences, baseball out ranks vb, so that is pertinent.  

Texas 1995-96 in Southwest Conference, which was it's last year

Won in FB, wbb, vb, baseball, but not mbb.  Mbb is a major miss in my book.

Ohio St in 2005-6 and 2006-7

Won three championships each year in fb, mbb, wbb.  Also won in men's gymnastics and men's volleyball.  But not women's vb or baseball.

Utah in the early 70's had some dominating years in the old WAC.  Haven't confirmed their championships though.

This is truly a blessed time to be a UND fan.  We might have set some sort of record in college athletics.

The WAC has to be pretty impressed with our results!! :D

Never in a million years did I think the epic rant I posted back in 2013 would be used in an editorial in the Grand Forks Heraldo:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/4230976-editorial-congrats-und-sports-tournament-grand-slam

"These are dark days for the Fighting Sioux Empire," a contributor posted at SiouxSports.com, back in 2013.

Remember that time?

"Despite Big Sky membership (which I am very excited about), despite having an indoor football arena (which is so important during October and November in North Dakota) and despite having a very nice (and homey) basketball arena in the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, our programs have yet to shake off the Division I transition growing pains."

I am flattered, but I am more excited that we have enjoyed so much success this season after a very shaky and frustrating transition period and that we are getting great press like this.

FIGHT ON SIOUX (HAWKS)! ;)

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Never in a million years did I think the epic rant I posted back in 2013 would be used in an editorial in the Grand Forks Heraldo:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/4230976-editorial-congrats-und-sports-tournament-grand-slam

I am flattered, but I am more excited that we have enjoyed so much success this season after a very shaky and frustrating transition period and that we are getting great press like this.

That's pretty awesome!!  Maybe you can take some credit for motivating our teams to succeed.  Probably had your rant posted on bullitin boards in every lover room at UND!! :)

Now we just have to figure out what name Tom Dennis is posting under on siouxsports.com!!  He obviously monitors the boards!! :D

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

That's pretty awesome!!  Maybe you can take some credit for motivating our teams to succeed.  Probably had your rant posted on bullitin boards in every lover room at UND!! :)

Now we just have to figure out what name Tom Dennis is posting under on siouxsports.com!!  He obviously monitors the boards!! :D

Today's editorial is proof positive that someone at the Heraldo reads this forum. I imagine it is either Schlossman or Miller.

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Today's editorial is proof positive that someone at the Heraldo reads this forum. I imagine it is either Schlossman or Miller.

Miller definitely does and I would venture to say Schloss does too. I would think in some cases it is a good way to get leads and then even some information after they fact check it. There are some very knowledgable posters here. We already know Goon gets a lot of his topic ideas here ;)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Great post back in the fall of 2013, that post!!!.  I've read your post a couple of times over the past few years. It is very well written, no wonder a writer would refer to it. What a difference with UND sports from that day to today. Posts like yours add to the greatness of Sioux Sports, much appreciated to be able to read them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

UCONN had a Grand Slam in the Big East in 2010-11 with fb, mbb, wbb, and baseball.

Would baseball be considered one of U Conn's minor sports?  Do people go to their baseball games?