SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. SCSU - NCHC best 2 of 3

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Don't underestimate the weather in all this. The ice left from the storm early this week and talks of more snow this week have spooked me out of going

Hwy 2, though,  is clear all the way today

Just now, ericpnelson said:

I live in Williston, this is more of my concern

No automatic alt text available.

That makes sense, I just don't think that entire upper bowl is populated by people from the west side of the state.

I'm confused because this is a do or die playoff series and the tickets are dirt cheap yet it looks like the attendance for an exhibition game.

And before anyone says students on spring break, that's the case every year.

1 minute ago, sprig said:

Could stay in Rugby on the way back?

I could. And I have. Work doesn't love it though! I would have liked to go, but I'm not going at this point because I would have had to take half of today off to make it tonight. 

I've already got two TV's set up in the basement tonight. Inviting people over for pool and wall to wall Fighting Hawks

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That makes sense, I just don't think that entire upper bowl is populated by people from the west side of the state.

I'm confused because this is a do or die playoff series and the tickets are dirt cheap yet it looks like the attendance for an exhibition game.

Fair point. I've been trying to sell my tickets since Tuesday though, and I can't even give them away.... so if you know anyone

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

I could. And I have. Work doesn't love it though! I would have liked to go, but I'm not going at this point because I would have had to take half of today off to make it tonight. 

I've already got two TV's set up in the basement tonight. Inviting people over for pool and wall to wall Fighting Hawks

Damn job

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

This happens every year over the holidays and spring break.  Single-game buyers who would ordinarily fill the upper/corners buy lower bowl student sections instead.  What you see is pretty much attributable to the students being gone, with some degree of offset by the fact that casual (i.e., non-STH) fans may simply have diminished interest (or already blew their entertainment budget) at this time of year.  Nobody can quarrel with the value of playoff tickets, basically 2-3 games for the price of one.  But, hockey fatigue is real...a lot of STH are selling this weekend, too.

• Upvote 1

It seems like most years there are plenty of empty upper bowl seats.  We usually go from one end of ice to the other based on which end the Sioux are shooting at.  Also, Grand Forks has always been known as a walk up town. 

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This happens every year over the holidays and spring break.  Single-game buyers who would ordinarily fill the upper/corners buy lower bowl student sections instead.  What you see is pretty much attributable to the students being gone, with some degree of offset by the fact that casual (i.e., non-STH) fans may simply have diminished interest (or already blew their entertainment budget) at this time of year.  Nobody can quarrel with the value of playoff tickets, basically 2-3 games for the price of one.  But, hockey fatigue is real...a lot of STH are selling this weekend, too.

No it doesn't. I've never seen this amount of tickets available for a 1st round playoff game. I've never seen almost 3 entire sections empty in the upper bowl in the 100+ games I've attended.

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Minnesota hockey in MSP, class A boys/girls state basketball in Bismarck, class B boys regionals, spring break for students, and potential weather. Lots going on.  

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

No it doesn't. I've never seen this amount of tickets available for a 1st round playoff game. I've never seen almost 3 entire sections empty in the upper bowl in the 100+ games I've attended.

Our recollections may differ.  Keep in mind that in most years, UND was a top seed, drawing low-value opponents (Michigan Tech, for example) to REA for the first round.  Sometimes recycling the same conference opponent one or two weeks later.  I have almost always had elbow room during the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Also, the REA reconfigured student sections and season ticket sales the past couple of years, opening up certain sections.  So that does have an impact on what you see available for single-game purchase.

1 minute ago, sprig said:

This weekend,  however,  was always a good weekend to get into a series when I lived out in western nd, even in the old ralph.  Didn't think there were ever that many available though

Agree.  These weekends are an excellent opportunity for people who would otherwise never get the chance to sit in the lower bowl.  Couldn't happen if the students were around.

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Agree.  These weekends are an excellent opportunity for people who would otherwise never get the chance to sit in the lower bowl.  Couldn't happen if the students were around.

I just hope those upper bowl sections fill up to at least 1/2 full before gametime (something I never thought I'd say)