SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament

SiouxScore

The seeds were released this morning. Class A gets underway Wednesday while AA will get going on Thursday.

Class A Wednesday
11:00 am #2 Delano vs Monticello/Annandale/Maple Lake
30 minutes after game 1 #3 Mahtomedi vs Northfield
6:00 pm #1 Hermantown vs Luverne
30 minutes after game 3 #4 East Grand Forks vs #5 St. Cloud Cathedral

Class AA Thursday
11:00 am #2 St. Thomas Academy vs Lakeville South
30 minutes after game 1 #3 Moorhead vs Hill-Murray
6:00 pm #1 Eden Prairie vs Wayzata
30 minutes after game 3 #4 Maple Grove vs #5 Grand Rapids

That AA tournament is wide open.  EP barely got to the tournament, and Wayzata knocked off an Edina team that beat EP.  Moorhead has a tough road to the final.  If they get past HM the Cadets will likely be waiting for them.  

Single A tournament, like the ND tournament, one clear favorite who has been there many times before.  

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

That AA tournament is wide open.  EP barely got to the tournament, and Wayzata knocked off an Edina team that beat EP.  Moorhead has a tough road to the final.  If they get past HM the Cadets will likely be waiting for them.  

Single A tournament, like the ND tournament, one clear favorite who has been there many times before.  

I'd still say Eden Prairie is the favorite but I wouldn't be surprised with about 4 different teams winning it. EP did have a difficult time getting to the tournament but they play in probably the best section in the state. The Holy Family team they beat in the final is very good and could replace 3 or 4 different teams if they played in a different section. I actually think Moorhead has a decent road to the final though Hill is very talented and played them to OT. I'm not real high on St. Thomas and wouldn't be surprised to see them get beat by Lakeville South. I really hope Rapids beats Maple Grove and EP beats Wayzata because that would be a very fun semifinal Friday night. If those 2 matched up you would have I believe 6 players currently committed to high level D1 teams in the game. GR-Hain(UND), Miller(SCSU), McLaughlin(MN) EP-Mittlestadt(MN), Jensen(MN), Leiverman(Notre Dame).

Definitely agree about Class A. Hermantown the clear favorite on 1 side and Delano the favorite on the other and while Hermantown will and should be favored Delano played them pretty well and had them down around Christmas time in Duluth before falling 4-3. Best game for Class A should be the nightcap Wednesday night with EGF and St.Cloud Cathedral who tied early this season. Could see Northfield giving Mahtomedi all they could handle in the quarters as well.

• Upvote 1

If EGF wins at least they'll have a day off to prepare for Hermantown.  It'll take a good effort from Kober and crew to get past Cathedral.  Be tough to go back to back against those teams.

Or Luverne could just upset Hermantown......chances.....unlikely.....

Just now, Wilbur said:

If EGF wins at least they'll have a day off to prepare for Hermantown.  It'll take a good effort from Kober and crew to get past Cathedral.  Be tough to go back to back against those teams.

Or Luverne could just upset Hermantown......chances.....unlikely.....

I have a better chance of landing a date with Scarlett Johansson and Katy Perry in successive nights than Luverne knocking off Hermantown.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, George M. Bluth said:

Can't believe they're charging to watch online this year! ......or was it that way last year too? ???

They have for a few years now. Last year they ended up making it free after a day because the stream was so terrible the first day.

So is this on Midco 595 or 323?  I'm at work right now and am just listening to the audio stream but when I get home tonight the TV is immediately getting turned to the Luverne/Hermantown game.  Don't have time to be messing around with looking for it.