SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 What a Year for UND sports

SiouxFan100

10 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I didn't know where to put this. I wanted to say how fun this year has been. Some folks have identified the five sports that are followed most closely by UND fans: Both basketballs, volleyball, football and men's hockey. I am optimistic, when all is done, that all five will have made the national playoffs. Many ups and downs but for Pete's sake - it doesn't get much better than this. That said, I think everyone will agree that next year we will be better with most if not all of these teams. Just a good time to be an UND fan - yes - an UND Fighting Hawk fan! I appreciate this site and thank all that contribute.

Things certainly have gotten better since I posted this rant!!! ;)

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Things certainly have gotten better since I posted this rant!!! ;)

All those major sports except basketball saw new coaches since your post in 2013, Look what team (yes one team) hasn't seen an NCAA tournament and hopefully next Saturday that streak ends.  Its nice to see our sports getting more spread around in the playoffs instead of a certain one or two. NDSU had multiple sports in the playoffs, now its our turn. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, darell1976 said:

All those major sports except basketball saw new coaches since your post in 2013, Look what team (yes one team) hasn't seen an NCAA tournament and hopefully next Saturday that streak ends.  Its nice to see our sports getting more spread around in the playoffs instead of a certain one or two. NDSU had multiple sports in the playoffs, now its our turn. 

Is this the Darrel trifecta?  Mention fired coaches, take a shot at Jones and bring up NDSU all in one post!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Is this the Darrel trifecta?  Mention fired coaches, take a shot at Jones and bring up NDSU all in one post!

Immediately bringing ndsu into a thread celebrating UND's success was the most impressive part. 

GO HAWKS! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We have come a long way since  fightingsioux4life 's post in the fall of 2013, our athletic department (and I might add, with an AD award this week) is going in the right direction.  Rebuilding takes tons and tons of work, along with time. We got the MH Natty since that 2013 post, Big Sky titles:, VB, FB, WBB and hopefully today MBB which i'm going to in a few minutes. Hockey still alive, big game tonight. Overall we are still building in a lot of sports and we're fighting the budget at the same time. We could of easily began to slip by now, I give UND credit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Actually never used the word fired because Hakstol wasn't fired, and Ashley Hardee wasn't fired he resigned. So much for your trifecta. :lol:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Immediately bringing ndsu into a thread celebrating UND's success was the most impressive part. 

GO HAWKS! 

Whats also funny is how Southpaw wrote this in response to Fightingsioux4life's rant:

Maybe they haven't shaken off the D1 transition growing pains becuase these teams are starting their second year of play in the Big Sky following the D1 transition. The NDSU team you glowingly talk about later in your post went 3-8 in their second year of football following the transition. By the way, how many schools would love to have a "homey" little arena that was free to the university and houses both the basketball and volleyball teams? Check out the mighty NDSU and see how all of their success has helped them renovate the BSA.

Yep impressive.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Slight difference in replying to a post that talks about NDSU like I did and being the first one (as usual) to bring up NDSU in a thread about UND. 

And look at all the likes I got so it must be true!!

But you also said I mentioned Jones (by name) and fired coaches. Nope not true on both.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Conference Grand Slam. 

How many times has that been accomplished in any conference? 

I wonder if its tougher in a p5 conference than a smaller conference. No way Kansas would win in football, Nebraska won't win in basketball, plus factor in the women's side, its tough.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And UConn has had both men's and women's basketball teams win national titles in the same year. I think it has happened twice.

Both what Florida did and UConn is a great accomplishment. Too bad realistically we won't be winning a national title in basketball and probably not in volleyball either. :(

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK here we go. Lots of UND stuff tonight and this weekend. Fun time to be a Hawk fan!! Let's play to our ability and represent the area. I must admit that not much work was done today as I tried to keep up with not only UND but ND Class B bb and other NCAA bb games,

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Cratter said:

Faison will go down as one of the greatest Athletic Directors UND has ever had.

I might agree with you if he did anything to assist with fundraising!  He apparently thinks this is everyone's responsibility except his.