SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 NHL Expansion Draft

cberkas

12 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

What kind of fantasy-type game can we do with this expansion draft?  Anyone have any good ideas?

I want to see the protected list of each team. Each team should have had to release their protected list before the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I want to see the protected list of each team. Each team should have had to release their protected list before the playoffs.

It's going to be a short window.  Lists are submitted on the 17th and will be released for you and I to see on the 18th.  Then Vegas's selections will be submitted and announced on the 21st.  So if there's a fun way we can do something fantasy-wise on this, it'll have to be quick!

5 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Is the issue maybe that the contract still counts against the cap and it hamstrings the GM when building a roster?  It can't be financial if the contract is insured against injury.  It has to be issues with managing the cap. 

I'm honestly not sure how it all works. I was just wondering.

5 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Is the issue maybe that the contract still counts against the cap and it hamstrings the GM when building a roster?  It can't be financial if the contract is insured against injury.  It has to be issues with managing the cap. 

32 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I'm honestly not sure how it all works. I was just wondering.

I think there are so many intricacies on how teams can handle this and the rules surrounding this.  I dug this article up from 2011:

Chris Pronger’s contract could make things awkward for Philadelphia

If I'm reading this right, if Pronger would have retired his cap hit would have remained with the team and counted against the cap.  This is to prevent teams from giving out massive, long term contracts to aging players.  However, if he would not retire and they place him on Long Term Injury Reserve (LTIR) it would free up his cap space.  This may help to answer the question that I and @cberkas were talking about earlier.

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't really have a clue how this works, does Vegas just start picking from list of available players and fill its roster?  Do other teams draft?  Seems exciting, saw Forbort listed in The Hockey News as a possible Vegas defenseman.

Teams have to submit their protected list by June 17th, and then Vegas gets 4 days to select their players.  They are also (and have already been) negotiating with other teams for concessions in order for Vegas to stay away from certain players, as some teams may be hamstrung by who they can protect (explained below in the linked article).  Once that process has completed, the 'normal' NHL draft takes place on June 23rd.

Here's a good article that helps to explain the expansion draft:

Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

If I was the Sharks I wouldn't protect Thornton or Marleau, both are at the ends of their careers and Vegas isn't picking either one.

Agreed.  It'll be interesting to see how many teams gamble with not protecting "older" players that have large contracts with the mindset that Vegas won't take that player.  And to see how Vegas handles it, too!

4 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Agreed.  It'll be interesting to see how many teams gamble with not protecting "older" players that have large contracts with the mindset that Vegas won't take that player.  And to see how Vegas handles it, too!

This is definitely going to make the off season more interesting as it is fun to follow all of this develop!

2 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Only way Vegas take them is to flip the player to a team that wants them.

17 hours ago, cberkas said:

Only way Vegas take them is to flip the player to a team that wants them.

This is the part that really interests me -> What kind of side deals Vegas will make?  "Hey Vegas, take my rivals best unprotected player, who they'd never trade to me, then trade him to me for x, y, and z" is the kind of thing that could make teams nuts. ;) 

13 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

This is the part that really interests me -> What kind of side deals Vegas will make?  "Hey Vegas, take my rivals best unprotected player, who they'd never trade to me, then trade him to me for x, y, and z" is the kind of thing that could make teams nuts. ;) 

Agreed.  I think of the "Brett Favre scenario" here.  When he initially left (got traded?) from the Packers to the Jets they had some sort of clause that the Jets could not trade him within the division, because they knew the Vikings wanted him, and the interest was mutual.  I would guess there is going to be a lot of legal wording in some of these deals to prevent some of that stuff from going on.

21 hours ago, Ray77 said:

What kind of fantasy-type game can we do with this expansion draft?  Anyone have any good ideas?

Want an expansion draft game? 

You pick your team by the same rules of VGK (one per team, 30 players, 3 goalies, yadda, yadda). 

That's your fantasy hockey team for the 2017-18 season in the "Expansion Draft Fantasy League" hosted by this forum. Standard fantasy hockey rules (whatever those are) apply after that. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

Are you able to protect free agents?

I believe the league year starts on July 1st, so technically there are no free agents until that time.  As the expansion draft occurs on June 21st, players will still be under contract.

Drouin will have to be protected by the Canadians of lost to Vegas.

The expansion Draft would be more fun if the teams had to have their protected list in right before the playoffs. I think to many players are getting protected thanks to the exempt players.

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Forget all this talk about the expansion draft - does anyone else have concerns about Adidas becoming the new jersey-maker of the NHL?  Please, God, can we get rid of the scoop-tail jerseys?  PLEASE?

Better question will they be branded CCM.

Adidas has been making the jerseys under Reebok.

I guess this could have been put in the new season thread lol.

James MirtleVerified account @mirtle 1h1 hour ago 

This kind of dealing is what's really going to hurt Vegas; teams are going to get assets for players while they can and leave VGK scraps.

Every team I've talked to the last few weeks is working on some variation of: "How do we give Vegas almost nothing?" Tampa pulls that off.

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

This kind of dealing is what's really going to hurt Vegas; teams are going to get assets for players while they can and leave VGK scraps.

Every team I've talked to the last few weeks is working on some variation of: "How do we give Vegas almost nothing?" Tampa pulls that off.

Hard to blame teams for trying to get something for their players.