SiouxSports.com Forum

MVC President concerned about a basketball DI split

SiouxVolley

Some MVC Presidents are concerned that DI will split in two because of finances, FBS wants to grab more bball money

The revenue crisis in college athletics could get worse, as ESPN and cable system may be hurt by todays  announcement of YouTube TV, which will be much cheaper but not reward conferences so much.  ESPN gets $7 / month from nearly every cable home.  ESPN revenue will likely decrease faster now than over the last two years, cause a big decrease in conference TV deals, so the bigger conferences may be forced to grab more big dance money to stay even.

YouTube launches it's own stream service

• Upvote 1

D1 basketball is too big, and there is a huge drop off in talent from top to bottom, even from top to middle.

But the 64/68 team tourney format is so engrained in our culture that to scale it back would be difficult, and expensive in terms of lost revenue. So, the only other option would be to keep the field size but fill it with a much larger percentage of the league, thereby watering it down almost to NBA/NHL playoff participation levels.  At the very least, a 16-1 upset would become a more realistic possibility.

Definitely interesting.

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

People love the small school vs big school in ball

anything can happen

People live the underdog through to the elite 8 but I'm still convinced the Final Four does better when the Dukes, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizonas, etc are in it. 

This is would not surprise me to see this in the future.  

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Some MVC Presidents are concerned that DI will split in two because of finances, FBS wants to grab more bball money

The revenue crisis in college athletics could get worse, as ESPN and cable system may be hurt by todays  announcement of YouTube TV, which will be much cheaper but not reward conferences so much.  ESPN gets $7 / month from nearly every cable home.  ESPN revenue will likely decrease faster now than over the last two years, cause a big decrease in conference TV deals, so the bigger conferences may be forced to grab more big dance money to stay even.

YouTube launches it's own stream service

Neither of your links work.

• Upvote 1

351 DI basketball teams, thats a lot. Imagine if the FBS and FCS was all one, with the same amount of scholarships. Would we see Alabama lose to a James Madison? Or UND beating Clemson?  I like having the setup in basketball. When you have a Florida GC or a Butler make a run in the dance, it makes it a lot more exciting than the same P5 teams playing each other. 

To be a really good basketball team you need three "dudes" and nine adequate for the level players. 

< Disclaimer: I am not a great basketball mind, just a casual observer; but, it sure looks that way at any level I look at. >

Moderator note: 

The links that didn't work (that I fixed, < patting self on back >) were truncated. I'm guessing the post came from an iPad where you think you copied the whole link but you didn't. (It happens with mine too.) 

Make sure when you copy a URL on an iPad (or anywhere for that matter) you get the whole link. 

An easy way to test it before using it:
- copy the link
- open a new tab in browser
- paste the link (you can paste more than once) 
If it works, you got it; if not ... ;) 

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

To be a really good basketball team you need three "dudes" and nine adequate for the level players. 

< Disclaimer: I am not a great basketball mind, just a casual observer; but, it sure looks that way at any level I look at. >

Sure, but that's because there are fewer players on a basketball team. Three players is 60% of the starters on a BB team. How good would a football team with 13 "dudes", as you put it, and a bunch of adequate players for the level be? I'd say that would be a pretty damn good team. The same is probably true of most team sports.