SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

59 minutes ago, homer said:

Can't wait to see this kid next year.  If you could combine Brady and John, this is what you would get.  I think he emerges as the lead back next season  

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4248002-johannesson-finding-his-niche-und

Glad to hear Rudolph thinks he can find a way to "utilize his abilities". :blink:

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Glad to hear Rudolph thinks he can find a way to "utilize his abilities". :blink:

up 20 in the national semi-s and he will "utilize" jj, johnnie, and brady....

jet sweep to johnnie, flip to brady, brady chucks it 50 yards downfield to jj...picked off!!!??

• Upvote 4

The ironic thing in all this is that, despite the new, very talented three-headed monster in the UND backfield, UND's offense will only take the next step if Studsrud and the passing game progresses. 

There will be games, potentially playoff games, this season (2017) that will require clutch passing plays from Studsrud and the offense in order to get a positive result.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The ironic thing in all this is that, despite the new, very talented three-headed monster in the UND backfield, UND's offense will only take the next step if Studsrud and the passing game progresses. 

There will be games, potentially playoff games, this season (2017) that will require clutch passing plays from Studsrud and the offense in order to get a positive result.

I agree to a point, but I really think UND's season come down to the OL...  they have got to get it going!!!

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I agree to a point, but I really think UND's season come down to the OL...  they have got to get it going!!!

I agree, I think it's going to come down a lot more to the OL.  Studs has already made some clutch throws and is capable of doing so, he brought us back against NAU by chucking the pigskin.  He does need to improve with consistency though, and I won't disagree there will be games where he is going to have to make some clutch throws. I really hope he can improve on that swing pass out of the backfield, seems like he isn't very accurate with that. 

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, I think it's going to come down a lot more to the OL.  Studs has already made some clutch throws and is capable of doing so, he brought us back against NAU by chucking the pigskin.  He does need to improve with consistency though, and I won't disagree there will be games where he is going to have to make some clutch throws. I really hope he can improve on that swing pass out of the backfield, seems like he isn't very accurate with that. 

Offensive line will be better; how much better remains to be seen. Nevertheless, as Coach Knauf has said, when you have 4 out of 5 starters returning, the line will undoubtedly be in a better spot than it was beginning 2016. 

In the BSC, an average UND offensive line will do just fine due to the status of defensive lines in the league. Against FCS playoff teams and FBS Utah, though, it goes beyond just superb line play - it will take some big-time throws from Studsrud to beat Utah and/or advance deep in FCS playoffs. No matter how good the offensive line, there will be good teams that will stack the box and take the run away.

With all that said, top-notch offensive line play would've gave UND a playoff win against Richmond given the position UND was in during the 2nd half of that game. The playcalling questions remain, though, for that game; UND definitely needed to pound the rock with that 24-7 lead in the 3rd. Ouch. Sorry for bringing that up. Still stings to think about. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Offensive line will be better; how much better remains to be seen. Nevertheless, as Coach Knauf has said, when you have 4 out of 5 starters returning, the line will undoubtedly be in a better spot than it was beginning of 2016. 

In the BSC, an average UND offensive line will do just fine due to the status of defensive lines in the league. Against FCS playoff teams and FBS Utah, though, it goes beyond just superb line play - it will take some big-time throws from Studsrud to beat Utah and/or advance deep in FCS playoffs. No matter how good the offensive line, there will be good teams that will stack the box and take the run away.

With all that said, top-notch offensive line play would've gave UND a playoff win against Richmond given the position UND was in during the 2nd half of that game. The playcalling questions remain, though, for that game; UND definitely needed to pound the rock with that 24-7 lead in the 3rd. Ouch. Sorry for bringing that up. Still stings to think about. 

i still haven't forgiven rudy and i don't know if i ever will...both my eyes are on him this year...how he uses brady, john, and jj will be interesting at the very least

3 hours ago, shep said:

But Studs missed wide open guys on 3rd down in the 3rd and 4th and receivers missed catches. It was execution as much as play calling that cost that one. Oh and the D could NOT make a stop.

Yes, and this is partly why I believe more consistent quarterback play will help out UND as much as anything else. 

12 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes, and this is partly why I believe more consistent quarterback play will help out UND as much as anything else. 

I think having all the starters back (other than Clive who was out right away anyway) and the two deep guys back will hopefully help with some of that consistency this year.  Studs definitely needs to come out of the gate this year playing better than last year that is for sure. With a majority of the offense returning this year, there is no excuse for a slow start. 

54 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I think having all the starters back (other than Clive who was out right away anyway) and the two deep guys back will hopefully help with some of that consistency this year.  Studs definitely needs to come out of the gate this year playing better than last year that is for sure. With a majority of the offense returning this year, there is no excuse for a slow start. 

He played at his best last season when the offense ran at a faster tempo.  I'm not saying no huddle but when we needed to score and sped up the pace, he played really well.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, homer said:

He played at his best last season when the offense ran at a faster tempo.  I'm not saying no huddle but when we needed to score and sped up the pace, he played really well.  

And honestly, he played better after he got some contact to settle down his nerves. Even just a simple QB draw for 3 yards seemed to get him better into the flow of the game. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Only 1 middle LB has actual game experience at that position.  You've got to think there will be a few misread plays/coverages from time to time as these guys learn.  

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211555199&DB_OEM_ID=13500 

Definitely a concern but out of all areas on the team I have full confidence in the coaching it's with the linebackers. Some of these players are going from outside to inside, yes there are different coverages and reads but it's not like they are brand new to the system and calls. I think there'll be a drop from the previous two years, but some of that will be made up by the experience and skill on the defensive line. If the DL can keep the backers free, that will help the inexperience with easier reads and quicker flow.