SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

40 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agree to disagree. If there can be different SIDs for men's and women's hockey, then there should certainly be different SIDs for football and men's basketball. Perhaps Jayson should know where priorities lie among flagship U.S. colleges. 

There has to be a different SID for men's and women's hockey.  It's the same reason there are different SIDs for men's and women's basketball.  How is the WBB SID supposed to do both home MBB and road WBB games at the same time?

With Mitch needing to do WBB play-by-play, it's tough to move him to the MBB side.  I'm sure Jayson would love a 5th employee to increase coverage and provide a second contact for football, MBB and hockey that stays at home.

North Dakota and Idaho are the only flagship universities that have fewer than 5 Sports Information employees and has split coverage between MBB and football.

The Air Force Academy has five full-time sports information employees and yet the MBB and FB SID is the same person.  

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

North Dakota and Idaho are the only flagship universities that have fewer than 5 Sports Information employees and has split coverage between MBB and football.

This piece of information establishes my point in that apparently others feel FB and MBB should be handled separately. We can argue about staffing specifics all we want, but ultimately UND should strive to expand and/or better prioritize its sports information employees. Thanks for doing the research.  

On 3/13/2017 at 8:59 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Current duties, as listed on website:

Hajdu - MHKY, XC, T/F

Powell - FB, MBB, M/WGOF

Ladue - SOC, WHKY, SB, TN

Wigness - WBB, VB, BB, S/D

Suggested:

Men's hockey - Hajdu - MHKY, XC, T/F

MBB - Powell - MBB, VB, M/WGOF

FB - Wigness - FB, WBB, S/D

Leftovers - Ladue - SOC, WHKY, SB, TN 

That was easy, only had to switch 2 sports and remove baseball. Once another program or 2 is cut, we could probably eliminate one of these positions as well. Sorry guys. 

Image result for harry i took care of it

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

So now you're taking FB duties away from someone who was hired to do the FB team?  Powell is the only one on the staff who has FBS football experience, having worked for UCF.

Wasn't aware of his history, just seems he cares more about MBB than FB, so I left him with that.  Switch the names Powell and Wigness if you're more comfortable with it.  Is this a touchy subject for you or do you just not come across well in written comments?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Wasn't aware of his history, just seems he cares more about MBB than FB, so I left him with that.  Switch the names Powell and Wigness if you're more comfortable with it.  Is this a touchy subject for you or do you just not come across well in written comments?

Not really a touchy subject so I'm guessing I don't come off well. I am familiar with SID work in D1 athletic departments so I have a bit more insight. 

I'm able to see the logistical reasons as to why each staff member works the events they do and why just switching people around when it comes to revenue sports would be a hindrance to other revenue sports. 

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Not really a touchy subject so I'm guessing I don't come off well. I am familiar with SID work in D1 athletic departments so I have a bit more insight. 

I'm able to see the logistical reasons as to why each staff member works the events they do and why just switching people around when it comes to revenue sports would be a hindrance to other revenue sports. 

Is Ladue still very much in the learning stages, or could he be given an actual sport to cover?  It just doesn't make sense to have the same person stretching to cover the 2 biggest sports in America.  Let Wigness keep the 2 ladies' revenue sports if it suits him.

16 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Connor O'Brien finished? ( Concussions).

Southern Utah cheap shot 'ring a bell'?  That was on O'Brien, to the head, full run, after the whistle, last play of the game.  Total dick maneuver and no actions taken against the player.    

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Southern Utah cheap shot 'ring a bell'?  That was on O'Brien, to the head, full run, after the whistle, last play of the game.  Total dick maneuver and no actions taken against the player.    

That really s*cks if O'Brien is done and that cheap shot is the reason.

13 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

You're right. If Connor O'Brien has to call it quits and miss his senior season (which is completely necessary and understandable in the case of repeated concussions) due to - or even partly due to - a cheap shot, that is beyond upsetting. That player from SUU definitely should've received more bad press and/or discipline than he did for his actions, because there was and is no place for his head-hunting attitude at the end of SUU's loss to UND in 2016.

In this day and age, where head injuries are far better understood and subsequently scarier, those players that don't want to obey the head safety rules need to be subjected to discipline.

At the big stage, the NFL is currently expanding such rules; there is definitely a trickle-down effect to the NCAA.

With all that said, O'Brien is an inside linebacker and there was plenty of opportunity, unfortunately, for head injuries to occur outside of said cheap shot.