SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

5 hours ago, bang said:

Who are you thinking? Is Heidlebaugh playing a different position? Is Zimmerman going to be the backup and starter in waiting? Or are we going to have to hope for Boltman to step up and become the man early? If Heidlebaugh isn't going to be the man going forward, there is a lot of concern for this position. I don't expect any of us to have the answer to any of these questions but it is concerning?

It probably shouldn't be that surprising that Heidlebaugh isn't going to be the man in waiting given everything we have seen so far.  It's not over yet, but...

They brought in a JUCO QB with 3 years left this winter for a reason.

When Heidlebaugh was recruited, there was talk of him playing multiple positions.  He ended up starting at QB.  The nice thing about that kid is his athleticism will allow him to move around and help the team somewhere else.

If, of course, they end up moving him from QB.  I wish him the best this spring in his QB development. 

1 hour ago, bang said:

Who are you thinking? Is Heidlebaugh playing a different position? Is Zimmerman going to be the backup and starter in waiting? Or are we going to have to hope for Boltman to step up and become the man early? If Heidlebaugh isn't going to be the man going forward, there is a lot of concern for this position. I don't expect any of us to have the answer to any of these questions but it is concerning?

Zimmerman will be the backup. I believe SFI has already hinted at this. Zimmerman just needs a little time to get into the system, which he will continue to do this spring and summer. I have no doubt he will be the #2 this fall, and will (effectively) bridge the gap between Studs and Boltmann.

Heidelbaugh sounds like a good athlete, but has a slow release, and granted his one career pass was a TD, but I don't think it gets any uglier than that. That TD was 100% credit to Wanzek.

Bolinske also sounds like a decent athlete, but I do not see him being the #2. If he is, that is due to the coaches lack of success in finding quality depth, or Bolinske stepping up far beyond his HS recruiting projections.

• Upvote 1

All signs do point to Zimmerman at #2.  But Heidelbaugh hasn't been moved yet; he's still practicing with the QBs.  I'd be hesitant to move him this year... I'd guess the best thing for the team is to have an experienced QB at #3 vs. moving him.  Maybe move him in the summer or fall based on how Boltman looks.

6 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

The football SID/Athletic Dept. haven't provided any updates since the second practice.

Powell has likely been busy with MBB the past few days.  And judging by the KFAN interview miss, he's got a bit much on his plate right now.

Perhaps UND would be wise to split the media duties for the 2 biggest collegiate sports in America between 2 of our 4 SIDs, rather than putting them both with the same guy.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Powell has likely been busy with MBB the past few days.  And judging by the KFAN interview miss, he's got a bit much on his plate right now.

Perhaps UND would be wise to split the media duties for the 2 biggest collegiate sports in America between 2 of our 4 SIDs, rather than putting them both with the same guy.

Did not realize that.  Thanks.

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs an independent football SID and basketball SID. It would allow for greater exposure and growth, too.

I don't think we need to add any more administrative staff. Just need to better allocate responsibilities among current staff. 

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Correct. I never said to hire additional persons. Plenty of interns and assistants that could handle a promotion to be THE football SID or THE basketball SID.

You want UND to act like a big-time institution and yet you want them to have an intern become an SID for football or basketball?  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Correct. I never said to hire additional persons. Plenty of interns and assistants that could handle a promotion to be THE football SID or THE basketball SID.

Current duties, as listed on website:

Hajdu - MHKY, XC, T/F

Powell - FB, MBB, M/WGOF

Ladue - SOC, WHKY, SB, TN

Wigness - WBB, VB, BB, S/D

Suggested:

Men's hockey - Hajdu - MHKY, XC, T/F

MBB - Powell - MBB, VB, M/WGOF

FB - Wigness - FB, WBB, S/D

Leftovers - Ladue - SOC, WHKY, SB, TN 

That was easy, only had to switch 2 sports and remove baseball. Once another program or 2 is cut, we could probably eliminate one of these positions as well. Sorry guys. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, southpaw said:

You want UND to act like a big-time institution and yet you want them to have an intern become an SID for football or basketball?  

"Big schools" don't promote trainees? C'mon.

All in all, Powell does a good job. UND's football signing day coverage  and fall camp coverage remains some of the best in all of FCS. 

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

"Big schools" don't promote trainees? C'mon.

All in all, Powell does a good job. UND's football signing day coverage  and fall camp coverage remains some of the best in all of FCS. 

They don't promote an intern to a top sport. 

6 hours ago, southpaw said:

They don't promote an intern to a top sport. 

Through the appropriate process, it happens all the time. It's one of the major draws to interning at an athletic department; also provides a pipeline for the university athletic department. Don't use hyperbole to prove a point - no one expects someone to move to the top after a month of work. 

17 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Through the appropriate process, it happens all the time. It's one of the major draws to interning at an athletic department; also provides a pipeline for the university athletic department. Don't use hyperbole to prove a point - no one expects someone to move to the top after a month of work. 

I apologize.  I mistakenly thought when you said there are plenty of interns who could be promoted to become the football or basketball SID that you meant there are plenty of interns who could be promoted to become the football or basketball SID.

Clearly, I was just confused and should have read what you meant, not what you wrote.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

I apologize.  I mistakenly thought when you said there are plenty of interns who could be promoted to become the football or basketball SID that you meant there are plenty of interns who could be promoted to become the football or basketball SID.

Clearly, I was just confused and should have read what you meant, not what you wrote.

You're clearly focusing on interns as incapable for some reason; these jobs aren't untouchable. There are others within the department that could theoretically handle some different responsibilities, but clearly your opinion of the current untouchable state of UND athletics is impeccable. No need for changes or promotions because apparently a) the department is the class of all departments and b) there are no additional capable persons anywhere. Constructive criticism is meant to spur new ideas and, eventually, improvement; don't be so sensitive over the current state of affairs within the UND athletic department. 

Bottomline: UND should consider having separate SIDS for the two biggest NCAA sports (football and mbb) and achieving that internally appears to be more achievable. 

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You're clearly focusing on interns as incapable for some reason; these jobs aren't untouchable. There are others within the department that could theoretically handle some different responsibilities, but clearly your opinion of the current untouchable state of UND athletics is impeccable. No need for changes or promotions because apparently a) the department is the class of all departments and b) there are no additional capable persons anywhere. Constructive criticism is meant to spur new ideas and, eventually, improvement; don't be so sensitive over the current state of affairs within the UND athletic department. 

Bottomline: UND should consider having separate SIDS for the two biggest NCAA sports (football and mbb) and achieving that internally appears to be more achievable. 

That was quite the jump you just took.  I've only said that big-time programs don't take interns and make them the SIDs for the two biggest NCAA sports.  I think some changes are needed in the UND athletic media department.  I don't work for UND and I don't work in that department, so I'm not about to give Jayson some suggestions on what to change.  

Ross Ladue was an intern prior to being hired as the WH, soccer, softball and M&W tennis teams.  Not exactly showcase sports at UND. However, he had held his current position at Bemidji State from 2009-2011.  I have no idea the quality of Ross' work but with the WH and football schedules overlapping for 2+ months of the year it makes it tough to move him to MBB or WBB.  

There are capable people that can be found and brought in.  But just looks at the resumes of the people that are brought in for the big time sports.  They aren't interns.  Ryan Powell was at UCF covering football before he came to UND.  Wigness was a two-time Sports Information Director for 7 years and now he does women's basketball, volleyball and swimming and diving.  He would be great for MBB although is play-by-play duties for WBB are very helpful and is something many smaller athletic departments do.

Great ideas are definitely helpful and change could make things better.  At the same time, the athletic department is going through budget cuts and adding new staff isn't an option.  Bottom line: UND isn't in a position to have separate SIDs for the two biggest NCAA sports.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Bottom line: UND isn't in a position to have separate SIDs for the two biggest NCAA sports.

Agree to disagree. If there can be different SIDs for men's and women's hockey, then there should certainly be different SIDs for football and men's basketball. Perhaps Jayson should know where priorities lie among flagship U.S. colleges.