SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

With a stout defense and a quality running game you need a game manager more so than a gunslinger at QB. 

How well did that work for us last year? We can't afford inconsistent play from a "game manager" like we saw last year. Studsrud has shown some real promise at times.  His best quality is that he doesn't turn the ball over much.    I think Studsrud has the potential to be a game changer but he needs to get better.  "Stout defense" can keep us in most games.  Quality running game is a huge plus but when we face a stout defense, will we have the the ability to adjust and take advantage of opportunities in the passing game?   I like our improvement in most areas but we need to be able to develop our QB's.  I'm hoping for noticeable improvement in all of our QB's.  Without it, I think it will be tough for us to advance far in the playoffs. Not being pessimistic cuz that is what spring FB is for.  Bubba sees it. He mentioned at the end of the season that we need improvement at QB.  I happen to agree.  

• Upvote 2

Anyone here believe Bolinske enters the fall as number 2 QB? I'm gathering that some on here are thinking that but don't want to say it. Obviously, everyone wants Heidlebaugh to come around or Zimmerman to catch on. From what I'm reading it sounds as if the coaching staff had to put out a depth chart Bolinske would be #2. Anybody want to touch this one that's been to practice this spring? 

12 minutes ago, bang said:

Anyone here believe Bolinske enters the fall as number 2 QB? I'm gathering that some on here are thinking that but don't want to say it. Obviously, everyone wants Heidlebaugh to come around or Zimmerman to catch on. From what I'm reading it sounds as if the coaching staff had to put out a depth chart Bolinske would be #2. Anybody want to touch this one that's been to practice this spring? 

Ah, no. He won't be No. 2 this fall.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:18 PM, shep said:

The starting QB is an average college Qb who has the respect of the coaches and his teammates trust. He is not a game changer and in the last seconds of a big one I don't see him making the difference.  Will that be enough in the playoffs? We'll see...at least I hope we'll see.

Agreed.

His leadership skills and/or huddle presence seems to be what sets him apart and of course the fact he doesn't turn the ball over. 

Und is not and will never be known as a passing team in a bubba run offense, ultimately though, at the most basic level, a team needs the ability to complete passes on any given play to keep defenses honest. Opposing defenses have not respected unds passing game as shown with constantly stacking the box. That doesn't mean they need to throw for 300 yards every game but they need to be able to complete the easy dump downs and screens.   Studsrud has a career 54% completion rate, with most of those attempts coming 10 yards or less.  With the short passing game that should be around the 65% rate. For UND to take the next step, studsrud needs to bring his A game every play every game. If he does, UND will make a run in December.  

The three year averages per game are:

21 att 11 completions 149yards 1.1 td and .5 int per game.  The most worrisome stat is the 54% completion. Completing half of your passes will not get it done, especially in the playoffs.  He cannot take all the blame as the WRs are also responsible for hanging onto the ball but after watching him for three years now....his accuracy needs to improve.   

Also of note, love hearing the positives on Haas.  I was very impressed with him last but was about 30 lbs away from playing.  His length and athleticism could create big problems for opposing offenses.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Agreed.

His leadership skills and/or huddle presence seems to be what sets him apart and of course the fact he doesn't turn the ball over. 

Und is not and will never be known as a passing team in a bubba run offense, ultimately though, at the most basic level, a team needs the ability to complete passes on any given play to keep defenses honest. Opposing defenses have not respected unds passing game as shown with constantly stacking the box. That doesn't mean they need to throw for 300 yards every game but they need to be able to complete the easy dump downs and screens.   Studsrud has a career 54% completion rate, with most of those attempts coming 10 yards or less.  With the short passing game that should be around the 65% rate. For UND to take the next step, studsrud needs to bring his A game every play every game. If he does, UND will make a run in December.  

The three year averages per game are:

21 att 11 completions 149yards 1.1 td and .5 int per game.  The most worrisome stat is the 54% completion. Completing half of your passes will not get it done, especially in the playoffs.  He cannot take all the blame as the WRs are also responsible for hanging onto the ball but after watching him for three years now....his accuracy needs to improve.   

Also of note, love hearing the positives on Haas.  I was very impressed with him last but was about 30 lbs away from playing.  His length and athleticism could create big problems for opposing offenses.  

In slight defense of Studsrud, if all your receivers have pianos on their backs running a deep post or fly route no QB in the world will keep a defense honest.  Ask Montana St. and Cal Poly, 2015 season, when Clive ate them for lunch.  But overall I agree, QB play was a bit inconsistent and can improve.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

In slight defense of Studsrud, if all your receivers have pianos on their backs running a deep post or fly route no QB in the world will keep a defense honest.  Ask Montana St. and Cal Poly, 2015 season, when Clive ate them for lunch.  But overall I agree, QB play was a bit inconsistent and can improve.

I agree on the slow part of it but I'm talking more of a simple slant, screen or dump down.  He has missed he target numerous times by 2 yards or more...weather it be  the te, rb or wr.  That's my knock on him.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Also playing with two true freshman at WR last year due to the top two WR's out for most of the season, granted Wanzek actually turned out to make him look good sometimes too with great catches.  On top of that an OL that was shaky to start the year.  Also in my opinion it's not that fair to even count the stats from his first year when looking for averages, he was a true freshman coming off the scout team at the end of the year.  The NAU game he brought us back with his arm and gutted it out playing hurt.  He's still not the best on those swing throws out of the back field and generally locks on his primary receiver right away.  Like everyone else I think the main thing is he just needs to improve his consistency and I sure hope he improves that completion percentage this year.  Only throwing 2-3 INT's the last two years is also a huge check on the plus side with him, on top of his running and scrambling ability. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Also playing with two true freshman at WR last year due to the top two WR's out for most of the season, granted Wanzek actually turned out to make him look good sometimes too with great catches.  On top of that an OL that was shaky to start the year.  Also in my opinion it's not that fair to even count the stats from his first year when looking for averages, he was a true freshman coming off the scout team at the end of the year.  The NAU game he brought us back with his arm and gutted it out playing hurt.  He's still not the best on those swing throws out of the back field and generally locks on his primary receiver right away.  Like everyone else I think the main thing is he just needs to improve his consistency and I sure hope he improves that completion percentage this year.  Only throwing 2-3 INT's the last two years is also a huge check on the plus side with him, on top of his running and scrambling ability. 

I think that's a much fairer assessment of Studsrud.  Except for the first two games, I thought that he had a good season.  Granted, his completion percentage needs improving, and I think we'll see that his senior year, but only turning the ball over a couple of times all season in a ball control offense was a big factor in our success.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I agree on the slow part of it but I'm talking more of a simple slant, screen or dump down.  He has missed he target numerous times by 2 yards or more...weather it be  the te, rb or wr.  That's my knock on him.  

When you've had your hat handed to you by an NFL receiver, the implications of having a stud WR are seared in your memory, although I wish I could personally forget.

Clive would of mattered a bunch all year.  We need a newcomer to fill that void and that will help our QB situation.  I am not disputing Studsrud had more inconsistent play than what I expected in 2016.

QB, OL, and WR positions can all be improved. Heck, TE and tailback can also be improved. There's no question that depth and level of ability from the offensive starters can improve across the board. I'm hoping for a very productive spring ball, for this reason. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

QB, OL, and WR positions can all be improved. Heck, TE and tailback can also be improved. There's no question that depth and level of ability from the offensive starters can improve across the board. I'm hoping for a very productive spring ball, for this reason. 

I think this is one of the least talked about spots that needs a lot of work. Cloyd showed flashes. Fiedler has done okay. I think if the offense wants to add more weapons, they need to use the tight ends as more than just an extra lineman for the run game and give them some touches.

On 3/7/2017 at 10:32 PM, Teeder11 said:

Ah, no. He won't be No. 2 this fall.

Who are you thinking? Is Heidlebaugh playing a different position? Is Zimmerman going to be the backup and starter in waiting? Or are we going to have to hope for Boltman to step up and become the man early? If Heidlebaugh isn't going to be the man going forward, there is a lot of concern for this position. I don't expect any of us to have the answer to any of these questions but it is concerning?

1 hour ago, bang said:

Who are you thinking? Is Heidlebaugh playing a different position? Is Zimmerman going to be the backup and starter in waiting? Or are we going to have to hope for Boltman to step up and become the man early? If Heidlebaugh isn't going to be the man going forward, there is a lot of concern for this position. I don't expect any of us to have the answer to any of these questions but it is concerning?

Based only on the SFI write-up, it sounds like Zimmerman has the tools to be the #2 and starter in waiting.

13 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I think this is one of the least talked about spots that needs a lot of work. Cloyd showed flashes. Fiedler has done okay. I think if the offense wants to add more weapons, they need to use the tight ends as more than just an extra lineman for the run game and give them some touches.

Very interested to see what Hunter Pinke can add to the mix.

1 hour ago, bang said:

Barring any major unforeseen changes, I am thinking Zimmerman is No. 2.