SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

20 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

For sure, definitely hope it works out. Kid has the big rangy body, I'd love to see him make it work. Just not confident it will, sometimes those position changes work, sometimes they do nothing. I wonder if he played CB at all in high school.

The move was made for a few reasons.  1) depth at WR 2) on punt return Dulin was pressing the gunner on the outside and it was very tough to get around him 3) he runs well, but catching was so so

Seems to make sense if he can get the extra curricular activities behind him.

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The move was made for a few reasons.  1) depth at WR 2) on punt return Dulin was pressing the gunner on the outside and it was very tough to get around him 3) he runs well, but catching was so so

Seems to make sense if he can get the extra curricular activities behind him.

Watch him rack up some interceptions now :)

I like the move myself. Definitely, a lot more depth at WR than a few years ago. As has been said, I like a kid that is willing to switch positions and do what is needed to stick with a program. Hope it works out.

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

For sure, definitely hope it works out. Kid has the big rangy body, I'd love to see him make it work. Just not confident it will, sometimes those position changes work, sometimes they do nothing. I wonder if he played CB at all in high school.

I'm sure it's a long shot, but you never know. I have a soft spot for kids who grind it out and try to make it work as opposed to leaving when things don't go their way.

Notebook for practice #1

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=211513440

Being able to practice a full month earlier is huge for this program.  It gives the ability to add the extra month to the spring/summer conditioning/lifting.  Give the guys the chance to make their biggest weight/strength gains right before the season starts.  Loving the IPF. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Made it to practice today and was impressed with the way the team looked compared to past spring sessions. 

They certainly are strides ahead of where they were two years ago, and in spots, the team is sitting better than they were last year.  There are still depth issues, which have been hashed to death on here, but, that said, depth is a huge asset in many areas that didn't have it before.   For instance, it wasn't long ago that when we saw Santiago go down hard on the turf and get up slowly, we would collectively cringe with fear. Fast forward to today, and it's next man up x 4 at the RB position, alone.  

WR, DL, C and to some degree CB are other areas where we are plussed up more on depth.  QB and other OL line spots, OLB and TE are sitting a bit better, too, whereas ILB and S still question marks.

So my first reaction today was "Holy Cow!  No. 1 is freaky fast!"  No. 1 is none other than freshman WR Cameron McKinney.  I had the same type of reaction to Santiago at fall camp two years ago.... but, I must say that McKinney's explosiveness, speed and shiftiness are even better than Santiago's was his freshman year.  What's scary is that Santiago never had the advantage of a spring camp going into his first season like McKinney has now. And we all know how good Santiago has turned out.

Suffice it to say that McKinney took reps on KR and PR today. 

I'm told that we shouldn't sleep on Izzy Adeoti  (say that 10 times fast) or Mikey Greibel either at WR when they get here in the fall, especially Izzy. 

I also saw JJ at RB for the first time... #33 is an unusual hybrid of fullback power combined with halfback shiftiness and WR speed. Very excited to add his talents to the mix.

S Juco transfer Tamas Stewart remains in a sling on the sideline for spring campus.. which is very unfortunate.

The other new comer, QB Zimmerman, really has some zip and loft on his balls. He's got a lot of arm action before his release that sometimes causes his balls to sail on him.  He's money within 20 yards, but a little iffier beyond.  Still I thought he looked fine, as his mind must be swimming with new schemes and terminology.

ILB Conner O'Brien sat out practice today for an undisclosed reason after suffering some bumps on on Friday. 

CB Tyus Carter is limited but practicing with the red "don't go near me" jersey.

Former Lamar University CB and JUCO player Jo Jo Henderson is on campus and was at the practice today.

As for the Offensive line... what jumped out at me was:

Bryce Blair is still tall and leaner than the rest but he is soo damn good with his technique. His increase confidence was evident on the line, too. 

C Aplin reminds me of Boas in his second year at UND. If you recall Juco transfer Center Boas had his struggles his first year at UND only to come back the next year to dominate in the middle of the line. That is not to say that Aplin was not good last year.  I just see Aplin taking a similar big step.  That said, Rooney and Nguon will push hard for playing time, too, at center.

Highlights from today included:

Wanzek had many many amazing body contorting leaps and grabs along the sideline in tight coverage. He is so Lynn Swan-esque, for us old timers who remember the Steelers of the 70s/80s. Both Wanzek and Toivonen look to have thicker bodies this spring. 

Reyes was Reyes doing Reyes things. He went up and tipped a pass into his own hands for an INT. 

Dion Harris, too, did his thing by jumping a route for an almost pick six that jumped off his forearm.

Bolinske had another nice ball today to Luke Stanley that went for 70 yards and a TD .... Stanley went up high against Canady and Hunt and brought it down before scampering with speed the rest of the way.

Hope that helps whet the appetite!

T

woooooo.gif

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Made it to practice today and was impressed with the way the team looked compared to past spring sessions. 

They certainly are strides ahead of where they were two years ago, and in spots, the team is sitting better than they were last year.  There are still depth issues, which have been hashed to death on here, but, that said, depth is a huge asset in many areas that didn't have it before.   For instance, it wasn't long ago that when we saw Santiago go down hard on the turf and get up slowly, we would collectively cringe with fear. Fast forward to today, and it's next man up x 4 at the RB position, alone.  

WR, DL, C and to some degree CB are other areas where we are plussed up more on depth.  QB and other OL line spots, OLB and TE are sitting a bit better, too, whereas ILB and S still question marks.

So my first reaction today was "Holy Cow!  No. 1 is freaky fast!"  No. 1 is none other than freshman WR Cameron McKinney.  I had the same type of reaction to Santiago at fall camp two years ago.... but, I must say that McKinney's explosiveness, speed and shiftiness are even better than Santiago's was his freshman year.  What's scary is that Santiago never had the advantage of a spring camp going into his first season like McKinney has now. And we all know how good Santiago has turned out.

Suffice it to say that McKinney took reps on KR and PR today. 

I'm told that we shouldn't sleep on Izzy Adeoti  (say that 10 times fast) or Mikey Greibel either at WR when they get here in the fall, especially Izzy. 

I also saw JJ at RB for the first time... #33 is an unusual hybrid of fullback power combined with halfback shiftiness and WR speed. Very excited to add his talents to the mix.

S Juco transfer Tamas Stewart remains in a sling on the sideline for spring campus.. which is very unfortunate.

The other new comer, QB Zimmerman, really has some zip and loft on his balls. He's got a lot of arm action before his release that sometimes causes his balls to sail on him.  He's money within 20 yards, but a little iffier beyond.  Still I thought he looked fine, as his mind must be swimming with new schemes and terminology.

ILB Conner O'Brien sat out practice today for an undisclosed reason after suffering some bumps on on Friday. 

CB Tyus Carter is limited but practicing with the red "don't go near me" jersey.

Former Lamar University CB and JUCO player Jo Jo Henderson is on campus and was at the practice today.

As for the Offensive line... what jumped out at me was:

Bryce Blair is still tall and leaner than the rest but he is soo damn good with his technique. His increase confidence was evident on the line, too. 

C Aplin reminds me of Boas in his second year at UND. If you recall Juco transfer Center Boas had his struggles his first year at UND only to come back the next year to dominate in the middle of the line. That is not to say that Aplin was not good last year.  I just see Aplin taking a similar big step.  That said, Rooney and Nguon will push hard for playing time, too, at center.

Highlights from today included:

Wanzek had many many amazing body contorting leaps and grabs along the sideline in tight coverage. He is so Lynn Swan-esque, for us old timers who remember the Steelers of the 70s/80s. Both Wanzek and Toivonen look to have thicker bodies this spring. 

Reyes was Reyes doing Reyes things. He went up and tipped a pass into his own hands for an INT. 

Dion Harris, too, did his thing by jumping a route for an almost pick six that jumped off his forearm.

Bolinske had another nice ball today to Luke Stanley that went for 70 yards and a TD .... Stanley went up high against Canady and Hunt and brought it down before scampering with speed the rest of the way.

Hope that helps whet the appetite!

T

How did the FR OLBs look?

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, Hambone said:

A buddy of mine at practice this morning is going to give a full report to me tomorrow, but for quick observations was impressed with JJ and McKinney, and said Ray Haas stood out at OLB.

We're waiting (taps fingers on table).........................................................:)

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Well I got the email last night.  Echoed certain things that Teeder said.  Said physically the ones that stood out to him were Cloyd, JJ, and Mason Bennett.  JJ hits the hole hard and runs angry - really reminded him of Tyler Roehl.  Also thought that Ray Haas was pretty impressive physically and thinks he can do some big things.  As noted before Wanzek and Toivonen were both bigger, and Baukol was heard saying that they really hit the weights after the season was over and are around 207 and 217, respectively now.

The OL is a concern as we don't have the look of a dominant offensive line that we need to in order to fully utilize our stable of backs.  Again, as Teeder noted, Blair is still lean (though he does look like he's gotten bigger) but his technique is very impressive.  Said for the RS Freshmen Mortel really stood out, and Nathan Nguon also looked fairly impressive.  Hopefully by next fall we're feeling a little better about the OL, but wouldn't hurt to get a post spring FBS drop down or similar to really help with depth.

The three other QBs were, in his words, less than impressive.  Sounds like Heidlebaugh still has a very slow release.  Zimmerman was off target a lot and looked confused (which I guess was to be expected, and noted by Teeder).  Bolinski still looks very raw.  I guess there is potential there, but nothing too exciting yet.

DL is deep and very talented, so there really aren't any concerns there.  Bennett is big and fast, and his legs are tree trunks.  LBs were good - Lawrence and Haas stood out to him, as did Donnell Rodgers.  But he didn't spend much time focusing on Jaxson Turner or Disterhaupt as he planned, as those two should be very in the mix with providing depth this year.  DBs - safety still a concern opposite Reyes since Stewart is out, and CBs look pretty good.  Holm looked to have put on a little weight while maintaining his speed, and Hunt still looks to be very athletic and just needs to pull together the mental part as he has the potential to be very good.

Actually a bit of the theme with all those that played as true freshman last year is that they are noticeably thicker this Spring.  Sounds like that is normal, though, as during the season the kids redshirting lift 4 days a week, whereas the ones playing only lift 2 days a week.

Lastly, said he saw JoJo Henderson there and he really looks the part physically.  I believe if he were to sign he is a 3 for 3 type kid, so we'd be able to utilize him as a Sophomore this year.

That's my summary of what I was told.  Sounds like we have a lot to be excited about :)

Thanks for the report! 

Sounds like offensive line, offensive line, and offensive line! As well as QB and defensive back depth! Improvements yet to be made - always need to strive for improvement. 

49 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Well I got the email last night.  Echoed certain things that Teeder said.  Said physically the ones that stood out to him were Cloyd, JJ, and Mason Bennett.  JJ hits the hole hard and runs angry - really reminded him of Tyler Roehl.  Also thought that Ray Haas was pretty impressive physically and thinks he can do some big things.  As noted before Wanzek and Toivonen were both bigger, and Baukol was heard saying that they really hit the weights after the season was over and are around 207 and 217, respectively now.

The OL is a concern as we don't have the look of a dominant offensive line that we need to in order to fully utilize our stable of backs.  Again, as Teeder noted, Blair is still lean (though he does look like he's gotten bigger) but his technique is very impressive.  Said for the RS Freshmen Mortel really stood out, and Nathan Nguon also looked fairly impressive.  Hopefully by next fall we're feeling a little better about the OL, but wouldn't hurt to get a post spring FBS drop down or similar to really help with depth.

The three other QBs were, in his words, less than impressive.  Sounds like Heidlebaugh still has a very slow release.  Zimmerman was off target a lot and looked confused (which I guess was to be expected, and noted by Teeder).  Bolinski still looks very raw.  I guess there is potential there, but nothing too exciting yet.

DL is deep and very talented, so there really aren't any concerns there.  Bennett is big and fast, and his legs are tree trunks.  LBs were good - Lawrence and Haas stood out to him, as did Donnell Rodgers.  But he didn't spend much time focusing on Jaxson Turner or Disterhaupt as he planned, as those two should be very in the mix with providing depth this year.  DBs - safety still a concern opposite Reyes since Stewart is out, and CBs look pretty good.  Holm looked to have put on a little weight while maintaining his speed, and Hunt still looks to be very athletic and just needs to pull together the mental part as he has the potential to be very good.

Actually a bit of the theme with all those that played as true freshman last year is that they are noticeably thicker this Spring.  Sounds like that is normal, though, as during the season the kids redshirting lift 4 days a week, whereas the ones playing only lift 2 days a week.

Lastly, said he saw JoJo Henderson there and he really looks the part physically.  I believe if he were to sign he is a 3 for 3 type kid, so we'd be able to utilize him as a Sophomore this year.

That's my summary of what I was told.  Sounds like we have a lot to be excited about :)

Well worth the wait.  Thanks, Hambone.

Are our OL big enough?, strong enough?, old enough?, fast enough?, quick enough?, experienced enough?, smart enough?, don't have the technique down - how long does this take to learn?, don't understand who to block? I am trying to understand if we have the right people and they will grow into being able to contribute or we need others to come in (this year, next year, the year after). Seems like we have big strong men. Do we have enough good OL on the roster to succeed this year and next? Everyone seems to say we don't. If we don't what needs to improve with them and how long does it take?