SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

Ditto on the above comments.

Mckinney will play this fall.

Ray Haas looks really good.  He is carrying 220 lbs right now, at 6' 5".   I think he starts.

O-line got worked a little, but a lot of guys moving around.  They need to establish some leadership and cohesiveness.  We have more depth at o-line now but need some players that are 'OK' to have a really good summer.

D-backs were banged up, a lot of guys sat, but Randolph looks legit.  He will be in 2 deep for sure and could push for starting opposite of Reyes.

TE, Logan Alm checking in at 270, holy crap.  Pinke really looked a lot bigger, too.  TE position is deep.

Norberg is just fricken huge.  I saw him close up, he looks like an NFL player.

• Upvote 4

Austin Gordon.  He's really a fast, shifty guy that's not afraid to hit it a hole hard.  He was fun to watch.

Defense is just fast.  Maybe not the biggest guys around, but that speed should make up for some of that.

1,100 people at the Spring game??  Yeah, I was pretty surprised.

20 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Ditto on the above comments.

Mckinney will play this fall.

Ray Haas looks really good.  He is carrying 220 lbs right now, at 6' 5".   I think he starts.

O-line got worked a little, but a lot of guys moving around.  They need to establish some leadership and cohesiveness.  We have more depth at o-line now but need some players that are 'OK' to have a really good summer.

D-backs were banged up, a lot of guys sat, but Randolph looks legit.  He will be in 2 deep for sure and could push for starting opposite of Reyes.

TE, Logan Alm checking in at 270, holy crap.  Pinke really looked a lot bigger, too.  TE position is deep.

Norberg is just fricken huge.  I saw him close up, he looks like an NFL player.

you should meet his dad in person...holy crap.

Below is part of the write up on the Spring game on UNDsports.  That is a lot of sacks given up, yes our defensive line is good.....but giving up a sack about every 4th or 5th play....that is disheartening.  We had just an average OL last year.....and we lost a potential NFL prospect from that average line.  The OL is the glaring thing that still worries me about next year......will the OL take the next step or not? 

"Schweigert was most pleased with the defensive front that he said was really active and creating havoc for the offense. In the 43 live plays, the defense racked up what would have been nine sacks in live action and added four more in a 12-play, pin-the-hip session in the red zone."

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Below is part of the write up on the Spring game on UNDsports.  That is a lot of sacks given up, yes our defensive line is good.....but giving up a sack about every 4th or 5th play....that is disheartening.  We had just an average OL last year.....and we lost a potential NFL prospect from that average line.  The OL is the glaring thing that still worries me about next year......will the OL take the next step or not? 

"Schweigert was most pleased with the defensive front that he said was really active and creating havoc for the offense. In the 43 live plays, the defense racked up what would have been nine sacks in live action and added four more in a 12-play, pin-the-hip session in the red zone."

The defense is always ahead of the offense in spring ball. Don't read too much into that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

UND's offense is playing catch-up to the UND defense. It has been that way since Bubba's first year as head coach in 2014; there is a slight bias towards building defense that you get with guys like Bubba and Schmidt running the show. Nothing wrong with that: "defense wins championships". Plenty of athletes have been shifted over to the defense from high school to illustrate this. 

As the offensive line continues to grow in depth and ability, UND will continue to rise in the rankings. The offensive line really is the final missing piece keeping UND from being a complete, championship-contending top-tier FCS football team (that and maybe QB play). 

Lastly, I agree that this time of year typically favors the defense.

All in all, UND's offensive line needs to improve but it is far too early to panic. 

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

The QBs might have taken off and scrambled on a few of the sacks, but since QBs realize they are not live they hung in the pocket a little too long.  Real game those feet become a little more 'happy'.  The lesson - We have to handle defensive pressure teams better, like Stony Brook was, and Studsy will need to make plays with his feet.  He is capable of that.  So, it is concerning, but not at bad as the numbers in a Spring game.

30 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So I don't like to be that guy, but can anyone closer to the team speak to the abilities of Coach Knauf?  Are we in good hands there?

He's good with technique and X's and O's.  We weren't properly taught to run block before his arrival.  Last year Coe was the only OL that could consistently push a guy on a one-on-one battle.  Luke will look better when more guys get a push.  I think we are in good hands, but for how long is the question. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND's offense is playing catch-up to the UND defense. It has been that way since Bubba's first year as head coach in 2014; there is a slight bias towards building defense that you get with guys like Bubba and Schmidt running the show. Nothing wrong with that: "defense wins championships". Plenty of athletes have been shifted over to the defense from high school to illustrate this. 

As the offensive line continues to grow in depth and ability, UND will continue to rise in the rankings. The offensive line really is the final missing piece keeping UND from being a complete, championship-contending top-tier FCS football team (that and maybe QB play). 

Lastly, I agree that this time of year typically favors the defense.

All in all, UND's offensive line needs to improve but it is far too early to panic. 

Even in the Mussman days the defense would be ahead of the offense at the LOS in spring.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Even in the Mussman days the defense would be ahead of the offense at the LOS in spring.

Not to the degree demonstrated last Friday. UND's defense is playing very fast right now and is light-years ahead of the "Mussman days". But yes, it takes time for offensive line combinations to mesh and that certainly was a factor in the spring game descrepancy. 

Defense pinned their ears back last week and got into the backfield.  It showed up in the sack dept but they did get beat on a couple end arounds and some cut back plays.  

Need to play fast but also be a bit dicplined.  I'm not overly concerned yet.  Season still hinges on the OL next year.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, homer said:

Defense pinned their ears back last week and got into the backfield.  It showed up in the sack dept but they did get beat on a couple end arounds and some cut back plays.  

Need to play fast but also be a bit dicplined.  I'm not overly concerned yet.  Season still hinges on the OL next year.  

in defense of the offense, i wouldn't want to play against a coach schmidt d with this much talent.

• Upvote 2