SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

Spring football starts this Friday 3/3 so I figure we should get a thread going. 

What / who are you all specifically looking at this spring?

For me, I am curious about the progress of the OL and transfer QB Zimmerman. I am truly hoping Zimmerman will be a solid backup this season and ready to guide the ship next season. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Spring football starts this Friday 3/3 so I figure we should get a thread going. 

For me, I am curious about the progress of the OL and transfer QB Zimmerman. I am truly hoping Zimmerman will be a solid backup this season and ready to guide the ship next season. 

Talking to one of  the coaches the other day and he was impressed with Zimmerman, said he throws a very nice ball.  Can't wait!!

45 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

For sure, O-line, we have to be better this year getting a push.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

For sure, O-line, we have to be better this year getting a push.

This ^^^^^^^^^.

We know what we have at nearly every other position group (LB could be debated) but if the OL plays like last year we will not be improved and could be 0-3 after our non conference schedule.

OL, LB, and S are my question marks.

For the first time in a long time, I'm not too worried about the CB spot.  As long as Tyus Carter comes back 100%, whoever wins that spot opposite Harris will have truly earned it and be fully capable.  Speaking of Tyus, I assume he's getting a medical redshirt for 2016?

I'll start out by admitting I don't know or understand. Seems like we have all sorts of Offensive Linemen. Maybe someone would be willing to explain to those of us (maybe just me) that don't understand what makes a great OL. We seem to have all sorts of size. Are some not strong enough, not experienced enough to understand the offense, not fast or quick enough?? Sorry for the elementary questions - been meaning to ask for a long time.

I'm interested to see that "3 headed monster" at RB.  Will be interesting to see how far Johannesson moves up the depth chart this spring session... Is there a new role or packages for Santiago?  I know the coaches hinted during the signing day chat of Santiago playing in the slot more.  Like to see how this all plays out during spring ball.

1 hour ago, Westside said:

I'm interested to see that "3 headed monster" at RB.  Will be interesting to see how far Johannesson moves up the depth chart this spring session... Is there a new role or packages for Santiago?  I know the coaches hinted during the signing day chat of Santiago playing in the slot more.  Like to see how this all plays out during spring ball.

I don't think I will be as nervous this year when Santiago returns kicks this year due to our depth at RB. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

"WRONG." -- DJ Trump

They are ... The New Four Horsemen

Santiago, Olivera, Gordon, and Johannesson

If the O line can open up some room this year, we could have a ton of fun watching these guys. So much potential. Hope the coaches can get a little creative. Jeez, throw Greibel and Mckinney in the mix ... there is some scary potential. Hope to see some guys other than Toivenen and Wanzek running that reverse play, and even they did a solid job with it.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Per the SFI write-up, freshman safety Tim Ryan appears to have left the team.  Not really a position we can afford to lose many players at, but apparently UND/D1 football weren't for him.

No worries there.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

If the O line can open up some room this year, we could have a ton of fun watching these guys. So much potential. Hope the coaches can get a little creative. Jeez, throw Greibel and Mckinney in the mix ... there is some scary potential. Hope to see some guys other than Toivenen and Wanzek running that reverse play, and even they did a solid job with it.

Watching those guys turn a corner and chug down the field was like watching Schleusner run with the plow still very much hooked in the national title game. Maybe we get some speed guys going with the reverses

5 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I'd be interested to see how the receivers look. It'd be pretty nice to have Mercer progress like he did throughout the season.

I was very pleased with his progress throughout last season. He should have some help around him this season so maybe he wont attract too much extra attention from other teams.