The Sicatoka

Sport Predictions  

60 members have voted

1. 1. UND Athletics will cut ...

• Women's Hockey
    • M/W Swimming and Diving
    • M/W Swimming and Diving and M/W Tennis
    • Nothing, just cut budgets
    • Other (provide your option in the thread)
  2. 2. UND will end up with ___ NCAA sports.

• Other (provide your number in the thread)

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

S&D survive, but may lose a men's scholarship or 2. T&F will also lose a men's scholarship or 2.

WIH gets trimmed by $250k, largely from coaching salaries and travel.

One of either softball or soccer gets cut, to be joined by men's golf in a year. 

That would be so F'n weak.   I hope that isn't how he does it.  

Reducing scholarships but keeping the sport isn't how to have a "championship athletic department" or whatever he said the goal is.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, UND-1 said:

That would be so F'n weak.   I hope that isn't how he does it.  

Reducing scholarships but keeping the sport isn't how to have a "championship athletic department" or whatever he said the goal is.  

I'm not advocating for it, but we've had nothing but weak leadership on this issue. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm not advocating for it, but we've had nothing but weak leadership on this issue. 

Right.  Should have stated I wasn't arguing with you.  That would really suck if he does it that way but like you said, would not be surprised.

Kennedy talks a big game but hasn't done much to back it up.

In my mind, it basically comes down to cutting 3 sports or 1.

If it is 3, MS&D is gone and then take your pick, 2 out of 3, from WS&D, Soccer and Softball. You effectively eliminate 70-75 opportunities for student athletes depending on the choices.
If it is 1, its WIH. You lose 26 opportunities but there is likely a little bit in extra funds to shuffle around, which at least helps offset some of the scholarship portion.

The men's side took the brunt of everything last time and there isn't much left to cut there anymore. Can't wait to hear the teeth gnashing about it when it doesn't shake out that way this time around, completely ignoring that little tidbit.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

If its 3, MS&D is gone and then take your pick, 2 out of 3, from WS&D, Soccer and Softball. You effectively eliminate 70-75 opportunities for student athletes depending on the choices.

If you cut MS&D you cut WS&D and save all the facilities costs on Athletics. You transfer them (Hyslop pool) to the general University.
And then, you eliminate softball to balance baseball being cut a year ago. UND doesn't own the facility for the sport. 

Interestingly enough, my numbers show those three together come in at about the right number. 

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The men's side took the brunt of everything last time and there isn't much left to cut there anymore. Can't wait to hear the teeth gnashing about it when it doesn't shake out that way this time around, completely ignoring that little tidbit.

It will be bad. Could see "war on women" bs all over social and traditional media. Huge mistake not to take a women's sport at the same time as baseball. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In my mind, it basically comes down to cutting 3 sports or 1.

If it is 3, MS&D is gone and then take your pick, 2 out of 3, from WS&D, Soccer and Softball. You effectively eliminate 70-75 opportunities for student athletes depending on the choices.
If it is 1, its WIH. You lose 26 opportunities but there is likely a little bit in extra funds to shuffle around, which at least helps offset some of the scholarship portion.

It's so obvious what the best decision for UND and the state is, but I see no chance UND makes that decision. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you cut MS&D you cut WS&D and save all the facilities costs on Athletics. You transfer them (Hyslop pool) to the general University.
And then, you eliminate softball to balance baseball being cut a year ago. UND doesn't own the facility for the sport. 

Interestingly enough, my numbers show those three together come in at about the right number. 

I'm not sure how it is currently covered, but there are no facility costs attributed directly to S&D as it sits today (or as of 2015 I guess).

If Faison is smart, the press release starts with, 

"After cutting men's baseball last year, UND finds itself needing to make further cuts and as such" ... and then references all sports cuts noted in the release back to when UND had 21 sports. It also takes the men's golf adventure (fiasco?) out of play. 

Noting, reiterating, baseball is gone takes the teeth out of the SJWs (that you know are laying in wait, sharpening the knives). 

(Mr. Hajdu: That one is on the house. Cheers.) 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Faison is smart, the press release starts with, 

"After cutting men's baseball and all public funding for men's golf last year, UND finds itself needing to make further cuts and as such" ... and then references all sports cuts noted in the release back to when UND had 21 sports. 

(Mr. Hajdu: That one is on the house. Cheers.) 

Fyp

I'm afraid no one will make the tough decision and will keep all sports and trim the budgets of all sports.  They have not shown the ability to make the tough design before.  I'm in favor of keeping Women Hockey and cutting as many of the non-spectator sports as possible.  But if the powers to be cut women’s hockey to balance the budget I'm fine with it.  Just don’t cut the Budgets of Men's Hockey, either BB's, Volleyball or Football.   I know no one watches Women's hockey no need to point that out.  I think with the right coach and success the fans will come..

• Upvote 1

M&W Tennis gets cut, why have sports where scholarships aren't even given?  Might as well make curling a non scholarship varsity sport, so beer drinkers have a sport where they can indulge while playing.

W hockey is saved, but most games are moved to the Olympic Rink except the Gopher and Badger series.  If someone want to donate actual cushioned seats, they can.

The REA will have like 6 more weekends to host concerts etc.

The rest of the cuts are line budget cuts.

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

M&W Tennis gets cut, why have sports where scholarships aren't even given?  Might as well make curling a non scholarship varsity sport, so beer drinkers have a sport where they can indulge while playing.

W hockey is saved, but most games are moved to the Olympic Rink except the Gopher and Badger series.  If someone want to donate actual cushioned seats, they can.

The REA will have like 6 more weekends to host concerts etc.

The rest of the cuts are line budget cuts.

Women's Tennis gives out 5 scholarships (out of a maximum of 8). Men's tennis was added due to Big Sky requirements. I don't know if they awarded any scholarships in the last 2 years or not.

I can't see any scenario where they move WIH to the Olympic rink, even though the theory behind it makes sense.

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Women's Tennis gives out 5 scholarships (out of a maximum of 8). Men's tennis was added due to Big Sky requirements. I don't know if they awarded any scholarships in the last 2 years or not.

I can't see any scenario where they move WIH to the Olympic rink, even though the theory behind it makes sense.

To be passable in women's tennis, foreign players are given schollies at much higher expense.  Either cut it all, or go all in.  There was a quote a few years ago from Wynn where he stated men's scholies aren't given.