SiouxSports.com Forum

Defensive 2 Deep Guesses

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

If it were legal, I don't think you'd see people secluding themselves or hanging out with their "pot crew" only. I suspect that even though recreational use remains illegal in ND and most other states, using marijuana is not as socially isolating as you are making it out to be. Remember when we were 14, and the kids who drank or smoked cigarettes were on the fringes, judged by most of us to be making poor decisions? Those kids hung out with their "alcohol crew", devoting substantial resources to obtaining alcohol. As we got older, more and more people started drinking underage and it became something acceptable within more and more social circles. I think the same is happening with weed. Not because as teens get older it becomes more acceptable, but just because it has become more acceptable in general. 

I think we need to be concerned about this player's arrest, particularly if my thought that marijuana use is not so socially isolating, because that may mean plenty of other players are using it and are at risk for being arrested as well. In the 2014 NCAA survey of athletes, 23.5% of football players reported using marijuana within the previous 12 months. They have data showing that D-III athletes were the most likely to have used overall, but that's not broken down by sport. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Substance Use Final Report_FINAL.pdf

I found this article rather enlightening: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2486218-banned-but-bountiful-marijuana-coveted-by-nfl-players-as-invaluable-painkiller

Here's an excerpt:

"It's at least 60 percent now," Anderson said. "That's bare minimum. That's because players today don't believe in the stigma that older people associate with smoking it. To the younger guys in the league now, smoking weed is a normal thing, like having a beer. Plus, they know that smoking it helps them with the concussions."

That's from an interview with Jamal Anderson, formerly of the Falcons, discussing marijuana use in the NFL.

*edited because I screwed up the number of months in the NCAA usage study.

You are correct the change in the high schools and middles schools with use is staggering, again 10% daily users in my area.    While the Anderson article is interesting it is purely anecdotal and opinion in its storyline and conclussions,  and is being recirculated among young athletes via social media, which just adds to the usage and abuse problem.  

For political reasons the marijuana epidemic is under the surface, I know some of you will scoff at my choice of words but sometime soon it will become public knowledge.  The Colorado study of emergency room visits shows the real rate of increase and also the 'gateway' part of this.  It is amazing how little media it received compared to what it would have received if it was an emergency room study connecting football and head injuries.  My wife has responded to 2 instances of marijuana 'psychosis' at the local high school this year where the kid needed to be institiutionalized to get their head in order.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pot-legalized-colorado-teens-hospital-er/

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

You are correct the change in the high schools and middles schools with use is staggering, again 10% daily users in my area.    While the Anderson article is interesting it is purely anecdotal and opinion in its storyline and conclussions,  and is being recirculated among young athletes via social media, which just adds to the usage and abuse problem.  

For political reasons the marijuana epidemic is under the surface, I know some of you will scoff at my choice of words but sometime soon it will become public knowledge.  The Colorado study of emergency room visits shows the real rate of increase and also the 'gateway' part of this.  It is amazing how little media it received compared to what it would have received if it was an emergency room study connecting football and head injuries.  My wife has responded to 2 instances of marijuana 'psychosis' at the local high school this year where the kid needed to be institiutionalized to get their head in order.

Well said, purely anecdotal and glorified from the guys who smoke marijuana.  No wonder RB's and WR's in the NFL only have the lung capacity to make one long play then have to tap themselves out.

That's why I drink beer, cause it's good for my heart.  (I guess there is actual science that supports that however.) 

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

That's why I drink beer, cause it's good for my heart.  (I guess there is actual science that supports that however.) 

Ain't. Buyin'. It. 

I sure wish a copy of this would be left in every REA locker on Friday nights. 
https://www.insidetracker.com/blog/post/40093461434/how-does-alcohol-affect-your-athletic-performance# 

44 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The gateway effect is complete bs. 

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ain't. Buyin'. It. 

I sure wish a copy of this would be left in every REA locker on Friday nights. 
https://www.insidetracker.com/blog/post/40093461434/how-does-alcohol-affect-your-athletic-performance# 

EZ!!!  I am not talking as a college athlete, but as a washed up father of soon to be 4.  I think I can handle a beer and tilling up the garden this evening. (not by choice)  I don't think my performance will be hampered too bad.

43 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It stands to reason that more teens will use marijuana if it is legal. Some of the stigma is removed, it seems like it's safe, and it may be more available. 

I think what many of us struggle with is the fact that alcohol is legal and marijuana is not. In 2010 there were nearly 100,000 emergency room visits by people ages 12-20 for a primarily alcohol-related diagnosis. I do understand that prohibition was a failure, but I have no doubt that if alcohol was made illegal and therefore harder to obtain, that number would drop, too.

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Yeah, but how would gundy get the garden tilled? ;):D 

I'm lookin' out for your rutabagas there gundy. 

His rows might end up straighter, and he'd probably think clearly enough to realize that there is no need in this world for rutabagas.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yeah, but how would gundy get the garden tilled? ;):D 

I'm lookin' out for your rutabagas there gundy. 

6 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

His rows might end up straighter, and he'd probably think clearly enough to realize that there is no need in this world for rutabagas.

You guys got me all wrong.......tall corn on the outside rows, marijuana in the middle row, of course!!

7 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

Whatthe ... anti-rutabaga? That's crazy talk. Next you'll be speaking ill of jicama. :glare:

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Keep seeing this pop up thinking it is actual football talk but it's just about marijuana now. 

You are right.  i had Poole in my 2 deep to start fall camp.  If Poole is done, who is next up?   Turner?  Nevermann inside and Rastas outside?  could be getting a little thin at LB.

16 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

You are right.  i had Poole in my 2 deep to start fall camp.  If Poole is done, who is next up?   Turner?  Nevermann inside and Rastas outside?

Hoping there's room ($) for, and time for, another dropdown.  Depth is getting to be a real problem.

22 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Sooooo how about that 2 deep?

DE Dranka Cieslak

NT Harris Greer

DE Greely Bennett

OLB Lawrence Rastas?

ILB Rodgers Neverman?

ILB Disterhaupt Geier

OLB Palmborg Haas 

CB Hunt Carter

SS Reyes Canaday

FS Stewart Randolph

CB Harris Holm

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

The gateway effect is complete bs. 

i am not sure why the gateway part is covered up the way it is, but it is now a huge gateway drug.  Kids are starting early, using regularly by jr and sr in high school and late in high school or in college years it is no longer enough.  the vaping is a huge part of it too.  The weed is easily mixed with stronger stuff.

18 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

This should probably be moved to its own thread, but since I'm already here...Teeder was all over it.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/4267407-und-linebacker-suspended-after-marijuana-cocaine-charges#.WRoQs5RZLJY.twitter

As a former player and longtime booster, my stomach just dropped.  This is really ugly.  Hopefully he is the only one involved.  Who does he live with?  If I was Bubba I would pack up his locker and mail it back to Colorado in front of the whole team.  Has the narcotics task force searched the stadium?

"According to an affidavit filed in Northeast Central District Court, the Grand Forks Narcotics Task Force received information that Poole had been receiving large amounts of marijuana in the mail."

What a @#$%^& moron. If you want to get caught this is what you do. The weed is good out here....meaning there is also a very strong odor. You might get away with it a couple times but eventually you will get caught. Smoking a little weed in your free time is one thing but this is next level dumb. 

scholarship money just opened up.

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

"According to an affidavit filed in Northeast Central District Court, the Grand Forks Narcotics Task Force received information that Poole had been receiving large amounts of marijuana in the mail."

What a @#$%^& moron. If you want to get caught this is what you do. The weed is good out here....meaning there is also a very strong odor. You might get away with it a couple times but eventually you will get caught. Smoking a little weed in your free time is one thing but this is next level dumb. 

scholarship money just opened up.

And the white powder? I think he would have been a good player, but he was no Lawrence Taylor.

1 hour ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

It stands to reason that more teens will use marijuana if it is legal. Some of the stigma is removed, it seems like it's safe, and it may be more available. 

I think what many of us struggle with is the fact that alcohol is legal and marijuana is not. In 2010 there were nearly 100,000 emergency room visits by people ages 12-20 for a primarily alcohol-related diagnosis. I do understand that prohibition was a failure, but I have no doubt that if alcohol was made illegal and therefore harder to obtain, that number would drop, too.

That's not true. Portugaul, for example, has seen drug related crime and ER visits plummet. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

i am not sure why the gateway part is covered up the way it is, but it is now a huge gateway drug.  Kids are starting early, using regularly by jr and sr in high school and late in high school or in college years it is no longer enough.  the vaping is a huge part of it too.  They weed is mixed with stronger stuff.

Causation and correlation are different things. The gateway crap has been disproven.

• Upvote 3