SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

How can you say we have misfired on recruiting for 2 years?  If you are counting incoming players those 2 years, we have Boesser, Jost, Gersich, leading the team this year.  We have Shaw and Poolman playing well on D.  JJ, Gardner, and Hoffman have shown that they belong.  I would say this is a good couple years.  If you are talking the true recruiting of the last 2 years, we won't see those players for a few years.  Yes, it is frustrating that the team is underachieving, but misfire is not because of these players.  Shoot, Ausmus has made mistakes that have cost us goals. 

And almost #8. Don't forget last years semi final when he directed the goal in for Denver. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Irish said:

After the big 3 absolutely no scoring talent - what the hell - we are the University of North Dakota not St. Cloud.   Why the blank recruiting years?  The least talent of any UND team I have seen in the last 20 years and not all due to early departures.  We have misfired on our recruiting for about 2 years.  

You haven't been paying attention

• Upvote 1

So you expect multiple first round picks every year?  Even first round picks don't necessarily produce their first year in college.  Bottom line is you don't replace that much NHL talent with rookies and expect to be close to the same, especially at defense.  Of course it would have been nice to have guys like Keaton Thompson and Luke Johnson, but I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted them around either.  You complain all the time about not winning a National Championship and then we get the mass exodus that sometimes accompanies a championship you wonder where all the talent is.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

With 30 games under their belt, you think this team is "better offensively" than what they have shown?  How much more evidence do you need to believe that UND obviously has problems scoring goals?

There's no denying they have problems scoring goals. I just can't believe (I guess to answer your question 3 more weeks if things keep going how they have), that they can't turn things around. They have the talent to average more than 2 goals a game. Need the big guns (looking at you Boeser) to step up.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Last year's team was rarely "snakebit", if at all.

This year's team is "snakebit" on a weekly basis.

The difference between last year and this year?

Nine of the best players in the game.

Without them, we are trying to get the job done with a bunch of sophomores who weren't asked to do much last year and a bunch of freshmen who are still learning how to win at this level.

A team that wins an NCAA title one year often struggles the next. It happened to Boston College in 2009 and it is happening to us this year.

Chalk it up to a rebuilding year and look forward to better things come October 2017.

I'm not ready to bail yet. They've shown some spurts of tremendously dominant hockey. We can score. We haven't, but we can. Haven't had a fluky goal in awhile. Would love to see one to get our boys rolling a bit. No puck luck.

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm not ready to bail yet. They've shown some spurts of tremendously dominant hockey. We can score. We haven't, but we can. Haven't had a fluky goal in awhile. Would love to see one to get our boys rolling a bit. No puck luck.

Oh, I'll support them no matter what. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Oh, I'll support them no matter what. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

This...........^^^.    

At some point you realize what you have and just try to enjoy it while it lasts.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This...........^^^.    

At some point you realize what you have and just try to enjoy while it lasts.

I guess I've seen them pull out of ruts so many times over the years, I kind of expect it to happen. There's plenty of talent on this team. I still don't think it's unreasonable that they'll make a run.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I've seen them pull out of ruts so many times over the years, I kind of expect it to happen. There's plenty of talent on this team. I still don't think it's unreasonable that they'll make a run.

Their record, especially as of late with 3 wins in last 10 games, says otherwise but I'm all for it they can pull it off.

They'd be able to make a run IF they can get into the tournament that's the first priority and then we can start talking about them making an actual run. We just need the team to stay healthy as well with this late in the year. Any loss to injury is a major setback for this team at this point.

The way they played saturday against western michigan is a recipe for winning in playoffs. That was hard nosed hockey and eventually the goals will start going in. If the team plays that hard in the playoffs it's going to be tough for any opposing team. In all reality Sioux dominated that game and they need to bring that mentality for this UNO series.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

They are playing tight right now- thinking too much instead of playing.  A little luck and confidence and this team can pull out.  

Everyone thinks about the tv timeouts helping the forwards.  For us this year it will be a boon to the D.  We could get Pooly out there for almost 30 minutes with the right breaks.

if Yon is good to go, I put him on the line with Gardner and Pogo.

the bottom 6 I make a threat line and a true checking line for situations-

Jost with Boeser and Gersich

Gardner with Pogo and Yon

Bowen Hoff and JJ 

Olson Smith and Gornall

Wilkie and Simo draw pine

Tucker and Gage

Shaw and Colton

Wolanin and Johnson

Wolanin still gets pp time.

Just now, Randy Lahey said:

The way they played saturday against western michigan is a recipe for winning in playoffs. That was hard nosed hockey and eventually the goals will start going in. If the team plays that hard in the playoffs it's going to be tough for any opposing team. In all reality Sioux dominated that game and they need to bring that mentality for this UNO series.

Agree- that was playoff hockey played well- needed a bounce

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Their record, especially as of late with 3 wins in last 10 games, says otherwise but I'm all for it they can pull it off.

So, you're discounting the games where they were successful? Alright then lol. They have the talent. Need a bounce or two. That being said, their talent needs to perform.

7 minutes ago, Randy Lahey said:

Yup, I'll be happy to have this level of compete and urgency and let the chips fall where they may.

Scoring1. Role:  score 2 goals, give up less than 2.

scoring2.  Role:  score 1 goal, give up less than 1.  

3. Role:  spend 3/4 of shift in offensive zone.  Play even hockey. Make them skate hard.

4. Role:  leave it all on the ice.  Hit everything.  Play even hockey.

special teams- score a goal, don't allow a shorty or PPg against.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

So you expect multiple first round picks every year?  Even first round picks don't necessarily produce their first year in college.  Bottom line is you don't replace that much NHL talent with rookies and expect to be close to the same, especially at defense.  Of course it would have been nice to have guys like Keaton Thompson and Luke Johnson, but I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted them around either.  You complain all the time about not winning a National Championship and then we get the mass exodus that sometimes accompanies a championship you wonder where all the talent is.  

We need to stop using that excuse....we're 30 games in.  Remember, we currently sit behind SCSU in the standings.  Did they lose anyone?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I never notice him out there- probably a good thing for a D. Did he play Saturday? Who sits for him? Johnson?  Wolanin is too dangerous offensively on pp to sit

Johnson had been sitting until last Saturday. I think it is becoming clear that Peski is ahead on the depth chart. 

On 2/20/2017 at 8:25 AM, AJS said:

This team still controls its own destiny. There is no room for error anymore and the playoffs start this weekend. They need to have the lose and you're done mentality. I may be delusional, but I still like this teams chances this year. Win on Friday night and lets go from there. I keep saying it after every weekend, but puck luck, whatever you call it, this team is better offensively than they've shown.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:11 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Nope.

Win this shift.*

That's all there is. 

*That's a rip-off of the "make 'em snap it again" of the UND Football defense mantra. 

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

They need to boil it down. Play simple. Play greasy. Take it a game at a time. 

AJS and GS have a good mindset. If it's something that the entire team can get behind, that's a fantastic part of the recipe needed to get us through the rest of the season. I am a little bit more behind Sic's mentality though, knowing the flow of the game. We might have less high caliber talent this year overall but we've seen Gersich continue his success from the end of the year last year into this year and he is lighting it up.

There's absolutely no reason to give up on this team. We've struggled this year without a doubt, but fans showing less support (which is clear, especially here on SiouxSports) as a result does not help one bit. One shift at a time, one game at a time, full attack playing some TRUE North Dakota hockey, and we see success.