SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO

AZSIOUX

This team still controls its own destiny. There is no room for error anymore and the playoffs start this weekend. They need to have the lose and you're done mentality. I may be delusional, but I still like this teams chances this year. Win on Friday night and lets go from there. I keep saying it after every weekend, but puck luck, whatever you call it, this team is better offensively than they've shown.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

This team still controls its own destiny. There is no room for error anymore and the playoffs start this weekend. They need to have the lose and you're done mentality. I may be delusional, but I still like this teams chances this year. Win on Friday night and lets go from there. I keep saying it after every weekend, but puck luck, whatever you call it, this team is better offensively than they've shown.

10 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Some call it delusional, I call it optimistic. Now their backs are against the collective wall so we will see what we are dealing with.

The emotional reality of Senior Weekend -- the hard truth that this could really be the last two games they will ever play at The Ralph could charge this team up.  

After that who knows as there is plenty to play for beyond pride  alone for the next three, four weeks.

I still plan on walking into Scheels Arena on March 24 to watch the boys play. 

While these comments may be a little too optimistic for some, I appreciate the refreshing optimism.

I'll be at The Ralph this Friday ready to cheer on the boys!! Not over til it's over, 2014 showed us that.

47 minutes ago, AJS said:

This team still controls its own destiny. There is no room for error anymore and the playoffs start this weekend. They need to have the lose and you're done mentality. ... Win on Friday night and lets go from there. 

Nope.

Win this shift.*

That's all there is. 

*That's a rip-off of the "make 'em snap it again" of the UND Football defense mantra. 

Was talking this over with a couple buddies after Saturday's game and I wanted to bring it up here:

- Do any of you remember a stretch of being incredibly snakebit for this amount of time? I recall 2014 when we had much less talent and boat loads of injuries, but this is different, IMO.

I feel like it started when Wilkie rang that one off the pipe at the end of the period (I think it was Sat against CC) that would have given us a huge momentum goal. Since then, it's been a bunch of games we could have absolutely won (maybe should have) and we miss nets, hit pipes, get robbed by the tendy, etc. I feel like, logically, this will break, won't it?

When will it come? What needs to be done? UND absolutely outworked WMU in their own barn for nearly an entire game on Saturday and have nothing to show for it. I just don't understand it. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

Was talking this over with a couple buddies after Saturday's game and I wanted to bring it up here:

- Do any of you remember a stretch of being incredibly snakebit for this amount of time? I recall 2014 when we had much less talent and boat loads of injuries, but this is different, IMO.

I feel like it started when Wilkie rang that one off the pipe at the end of the period (I think it was Sat against CC) that would have given us a huge momentum goal. Since then, it's been a bunch of games we could have absolutely won (maybe should have) and we miss nets, hit pipes, get robbed by the tendy, etc. I feel like, logically, this will break, won't it?

When will it come? What needs to be done? UND absolutely outworked WMU in their own barn for nearly an entire game on Saturday and have nothing to show for it. I just don't understand it. 

Last year's team was rarely "snakebit", if at all.

This year's team is "snakebit" on a weekly basis.

The difference between last year and this year?

Nine of the best players in the game.

Without them, we are trying to get the job done with a bunch of sophomores who weren't asked to do much last year and a bunch of freshmen who are still learning how to win at this level.

A team that wins an NCAA title one year often struggles the next. It happened to Boston College in 2009 and it is happening to us this year.

Chalk it up to a rebuilding year and look forward to better things come October 2017.

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Last year's team was rarely "snakebit", if at all.

This year's team is "snakebit" on a weekly basis.

The difference between last year and this year?

Nine of the best players in the game.

Without them, we are trying to get the job done with a bunch of sophomores who weren't asked to do much last year and a bunch of freshmen who are still learning how to win at this level.

A team that wins an NCAA title one year often struggles the next. It happened to Boston College in 2009 and it is happening to us this year.

Chalk it up to a rebuilding year and look forward to better things come October 2017.

They can't keep using those excuses, they beat BC without Brock and Jost, so they have the talent, they're just not hitting it for some  unexplained reason 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Can't argue that. They're still better then some teams we have lost to this year.

But it isn't like beating them during their 3 titles in 5 years stretch (2008-2012). I think Duluth and Denver are the class of the NCAA this year (with Harvard not far behind) and that is in part because they didn't lose as much to graduation and early signings as we did.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But it isn't like beating them during their 3 titles in 5 years stretch (2008-2012). I think Duluth and Denver are the class of the NCAA this year and that is in part because they didn't lose as much to graduation and early signings as we did.

I agree, but we beat them without Brock and Jost. And although they aren't what they were a few years ago, they are still better then teams that have beat us.

3 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I agree, but we beat them without Brock and Jost. And although they aren't what they were a few years ago, they are still better then teams that have beat us.

Well, teams dominated by freshmen and sophomores are generally inconsistent. We have seen this team look like world-beaters one weekend and then lose to teams like Michigan State the next.

• Downvote 2

On 2/20/2017 at 8:25 AM, AJS said:

With 30 games under their belt, you think this team is "better offensively" than what they have shown?  How much more evidence do you need to believe that UND obviously has problems scoring goals?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

With 30 games under their belt, you think this team is "better offensively" than what they have shown?  How much more evidence do you need to believe that UND obviously has problems scoring goals?

After the big 3 absolutely no scoring talent - what the hell - we are the University of North Dakota not St. Cloud.   Why the blank recruiting years?  The least talent of any UND team I have seen in the last 20 years and not all due to early departures.  We have misfired on our recruiting for about 2 years.  

9 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Jost played and scored twice against BC. Maybe you are thinking of Union which we beat without both.

6 hours ago, Irish said:

After the big 3 absolutely no scoring talent - what the hell - we are the University of North Dakota not St. Cloud.   Why the blank recruiting years?  The least talent of any UND team I have seen in the last 20 years and not all due to early departures.  We have misfired on our recruiting for about 2 years.  

How can you say we have misfired on recruiting for 2 years?  If you are counting incoming players those 2 years, we have Boesser, Jost, Gersich, leading the team this year.  We have Shaw and Poolman playing well on D.  JJ, Gardner, and Hoffman have shown that they belong.  I would say this is a good couple years.  If you are talking the true recruiting of the last 2 years, we won't see those players for a few years.  Yes, it is frustrating that the team is underachieving, but misfire is not because of these players.  Shoot, Ausmus has made mistakes that have cost us goals.