SiouxSports.com Forum

Destination Games

WiSioux

As mentioned in Brad's blog, UND likes to do destination games. The plan for the future is to do them every other year or so.  What are some destinations that you think should be considered? Keep in mind there actually needs to be an ice rink so some places are out.

Brad mentions: Target Field, LA, Nashville, Florida (Tampa), and DC.

I would throw out there Seattle. I can't say for certain their is a rink big enough there, but I would imagine there is.

Anyone else have a destination suggestion?

I like Brad's ideas, and Chicago is a great addition also.  Here are a few others, but I don't think KC would be a great draw for fans, although their arena seems nice.  Maybe if you could get three other teams and have a small mini-tournament or something.  They're pretty centrally located.

Kansas City

St. Louis

Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio)

Salt Lake City

Toronto

29 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Until Seattle gets an arena that isn't Key Arena, Seattle is a no. 

We've got a great pro arena in Portland. Don't be surprised if Paul Allen buys the Coyotes on a fire sale after next season.

Unless it's the very early season or frozen four the likelihood of rain is too high to suggest the northwest though.

46 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

As mentioned in Brad's blog, UND likes to do destination games. The plan for the future is to do them every other year or so.  What are some destinations that you think should be considered? Keep in mind there actually needs to be an ice rink so some places are out.

Brad mentions: Target Field, LA, Nashville, Florida (Tampa), and DC.

I would throw out there Seattle. I can't say for certain their is a rink big enough there, but I would imagine there is.

Anyone else have a destination suggestion?

Phoenix. 

Because my godfather lives there and I won't have to pay hotel. (I'm aware that's selfish lol) 

16 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Why Boise?

I think anywhere that's warm during the season would be preferable. 

Not really anywhere left that the team hasn't played ("somewhat" recently) or the one or two places they haven't, keep getting mentioned.

Maybe Salt Lake.

24 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

-Los Angeles

-Vancouver

-Europe (I believe there was a team that played a game in Ireland a couple years back)

Friendship Four Tournament in Belfast. That'd be cool if UND got invited to it.

I believe Michigan Tech hockey did a tour of sorts in Europe a couple years back too. Playing German and Austrian hockey teams.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

-Los Angeles

-Vancouver

-Europe (I believe there was a team that played a game in Ireland a couple years back)

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Friendship Four Tournament in Belfast. That'd be cool if UND got invited to it.

I believe Michigan Tech hockey did a tour of sorts in Europe a couple years back too. Playing German and Austrian hockey teams.

UND or anyone outside Hockey East and the ECHC most likely won't be invited.

36 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

We've got a great pro arena in Portland. Don't be surprised if Paul Allen buys the Coyotes on a fire sale after next season.

Unless it's the very early season or frozen four the likelihood of rain is too high to suggest the northwest though.

I don't see the Coyotes getting sold, one of the owners or the CEO is from Quebec. 

The outdoor game in Omaha was cool, but deffinitely not a fan of playing in a baseball stadium.  Sight lines are awful.  While I am not sure if UND wants to do another outdoor game, I think one at Soldier Field would be cool.  B1G did a couple games there a few years back.  Viewing is much better than a baseball setup.  They could do a B1G/NCHC challenge type of event.  Make it two games.  IMO, ideal matchups would be something like Miami v. Notre Dame and then UND v Michigan.  1 ticket gets you into both games.  Chicago is a great city and fans would definitely travel there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, George M. Bluth said:

I like Brad's ideas, and Chicago is a great addition also.  Here are a few others, but I don't think KC would be a great draw for fans, although their arena seems nice.  Maybe if you could get three other teams and have a small mini-tournament or something.  They're pretty centrally located.

Kansas City

St. Louis

Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio)

Salt Lake City

Toronto

I mentioned that the NCHC should host a showcase with WCHA, Hockey East, or the B1G with 4 teams from each conference and everyone gets 2 games. The NCHC could have UND, Denver, Miami, and Duluth all play a games against two WCHA teams they wouldn't play that year. The game could be in Edmonton at the Rogers Center, it would give the Canadian players a chance to play in Canada. The NCHC could rotate where it's held at and which conference they invite. This is a way the NCHC could expand the brand like they are with the College Hockey Showdown this year. The NCHC needs to look at getting ESPN/ESPNU to broadcast games. 

On a side note I'd like the NCHC at some point have in-net goal cam's. They are trying to have things the NHL has, so in-net goal cam's should be on the list.

• Upvote 2