SiouxSports.com Forum

Pollution

dagies

I'm hardly trying to play thread police here. I'm as guilty as the next guy of carrying on an argument too long just for the sake of arguing, or trying to get in the last word.

I'd just like to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, isn't it?

Some of these threads need to fade away. The arguments are so beaten to death they're dusty.

The reason I made this post was because I saw someone who now wants to go log on to POI and post some of the same crap we feel we're getting from some gopher fans on this board. What, really, will be accomplished?

These boards, SS and POI, are enjoyable to read and interact on. But the depth of the crap you have to wade through the last few days is really taking the enjoyment out of it. I speak for myself but will guess others agree with me.

The points still being debated will NEVER be resolved any more than they are already.

Let's spend more time focusing on what's coming up, less on what has happened.

Let's NOT go post a bunch of crap on someone else's board because we think we got that from some of their fans. Other than one, maybe 2 posters on that "other" board we've been rather well behaved. In the words of the immortal Dennis Green, let's keep to the high road.

If some of them want to have a tea party and gossip about us they can do that. Let's not invite ourselves into it.

(steps off soapbox)

In the words of the immortal Dennis Green, let's keep to the high road.

I was right with you until you quoted Denny Green. :lol:

I thought that POI had locked out new user registrations for the express purpose of discouraging trolls and flamers.

I think that's a bit draconian myself, but it's their board.

Well put Dagies. That's exactly why I don't go over to USCHO's message board. I hope ours doesn't get to that point. It gets a little old when people are constantly ripping on other teams. They just do that out of jealousy because they will never be a national power each year like us.

I was right with you until you quoted Denny Green. :lol:

I thought that POI had locked out new user registrations for the express purpose of discouraging trolls and flamers.

I think that's a bit draconian myself, but it's their board.

Actually I think that Sal and UPB made a good decision there. Some of those threads would turn into USCHO type flamefests if certain fans were able to register. Those of us already registered (for the most part) have defended our selves there rather respectively. POI has it's own not so nice fans that if mixed with ours...would cause the board to explode.

Dagies, I agree wholeheatedly. When I want to practice flaming...I go to USCHO. It can be fun, when it's good natured. But SS isn't the place for it, there's some threads on here that just need to die.

If you see a particular thread or message that concerns you, report it. We have troubles keeping up with every thread but have been paying closer attention this time of year. The only two I have seen of possible concern were:

• The thread about "Which #1 seed will not win", was quite valid hockey talk until the past hour, really. (now closed)
  • The thread about fan experiences at Xcel, though clearly influenced by some sour grapes, were legitimate tales of fan experiences.

From a quick scan, well over 95% of threads in the hockey forum in the last 2 days have been directly about Sioux hockey.

On the topic of new user registration -- in the past couple weeks, I have yet to see a new user cause any trouble, and have seen quite a few new users make meaningful contributions to discussions. I'm not particularly interested in preventing someone from joining our community to discuss Sioux hockey because they decided to join it on March 24 instead of Oct. 1.

Again, if you feel a thread has gotten out of hand, point it out. Odds are you saw it before I did.

Agree with Dagies.

Go WCHA...UMD, UND, UMN...my odds-on-favorites to win it all. If it is UND, please...no 8>5...that would spoil it.

Why even bother nettling another team's fans? I really don't see much point in it...it will all get settled on the ice, and none of us can change that. Last year, Cornell fans beat their chests all the way until they lost to UNH in the semifinals! Then they were curiously absent from the message boards.

At this time of year it's luck, goaltending, and intestinal fortitude. You need them all. UND and UMN have talent with questionable goaltending. UMD has great goaltending but no tournament experience. Even Denver (who has good goaltending) could get hot. It's not about who's the best; it's who's PLAYING THE BEST. Coming into the tournament, I would say UND and Minnesota are the hottest teams in the nation right now.

I would say Minnesota has the toughest road (besides Holy Cross). They will likely have to REPEAT what they accomplished last weekend to reach the championship game...a daunting task.

Please don't take my comments to be criticism of how this board is run because that was unintended. I think you have addressed my largest concerns and maybe I was even making too big of an issue of it. I did wonder if some of the fan experiences at this point were getting into "one-upmanship" but who am I to judge. I had my own post in there early on.

I just didn't want people to go spewing a bunch of crap on someone else's board just because they thought we were getting it here. It just would make things worse here in the end, I feared.

As for new users, I have no issue with how that is being handled. I think it is great we've not had an influx of brand new flamers.

Actually I think that Sal and UPB made a good decision there.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I think it's rather harsh to prevent new people from signing up and participating in discussions based on the assumption that they're going to cause trouble.

I don't question POI's right to do that, but I do believe it's going too far.

If you see a particular thread or message that concerns you, report it.  We have troubles keeping up with every thread but have been paying closer attention this time of year.  The only two I have seen of possible concern were:
  • The thread about "Which #1 seed will not win", was quite valid hockey talk until the past hour, really. (now closed)

• The thread about fan experiences at Xcel, though clearly influenced by some sour grapes, were legitimate tales of fan experiences.

From a quick scan, well over 95% of threads in the hockey forum in the last 2 days have been directly about Sioux hockey.

On the topic of new user registration -- in the past couple weeks, I have yet to see a new user cause any trouble, and have seen quite a few new users make meaningful contributions to discussions.  I'm not particularly interested in preventing someone from joining our community to discuss Sioux hockey because they decided to join it on March 24 instead of Oct. 1.

Again, if you feel a thread has gotten out of hand, point it out.  Odds are you saw it before I did.

Looks like we one up'd the POI guys then .....In terms of allowing "open membership" throughout the playoffs. Class act? I think so.

Long time reader, first time poster. :lol:

LONG time Sioux fan.

As a moderator of a junior hockey message board, I know exactly what you're going through. The Administrator and I police it pretty well and have a "Rules of Engagement" if you will. Sure it takes time, but after awhile the offenders get tired of their posts being deleted and just go away.

The USCHO is hardly worth reading like many of you have said. If I need info, if you wanna call it that, I just use the search button.

POI is getting trashed also. Please don't let this site go down that road.

You Admins and moderators are doing a fine job! Keep it up.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I think it's rather harsh to prevent new people from signing up and participating in discussions based on the assumption that they're going to cause trouble.

I don't question POI's right to do that, but I do believe it's going too far.

I see your point, but there reasoning is, if they really want to register...they'll wait. But, if they're just there to cause trouble they won't

If we don't win...I want Duluth...if not either us or Duluth, I hope for a 3peat.

Just keep it out of the hands of Hockey East and Michigan.