Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Dagger

Possible HUGE story.

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Dagger said:

The Men's and Women's basketball teams control their own destiny now.   Keep winning and they both win the Big Sky Conferences Championships.    Our Volleyball team won the Big Sky.    Our Football team won the Big Sky.    How cool would it be to have UND win the 4 major sports championships in the Big Sky in the same year.     It wouldn't take a miracle.    It can  happen.  Go UND.

Great topic and even worthy of its' own thread.  But I have to say the headline might be overselling it just a little bit.  This website is a nice break for the click bait traps every other website sets these day.  I was expecting some smoking gun that was going to take down a program, someone jumping up or down a level, the announcement of a brand new building for a conference foe, etc.  Instead it is a "hey our programs are pretty good this year" thread.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dagger said:

The Men's and Women's basketball teams control their own destiny now.   Keep winning and they both win the Big Sky Conferences Championships.    Our Volleyball team won the Big Sky.    Our Football team won the Big Sky.    How cool would it be to have UND win the 4 major sports championships in the Big Sky in the same year.     It wouldn't take a miracle.    It can  happen.  Go UND.

Click bait threads.....who do you think you are, Mike McFeely!!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dagger said:

The Men's and Women's basketball teams control their own destiny now.   Keep winning and they both win the Big Sky Conferences Championships.    Our Volleyball team won the Big Sky.    Our Football team won the Big Sky.    How cool would it be to have UND win the 4 major sports championships in the Big Sky in the same year.     It wouldn't take a miracle.    It can  happen.  Go UND.

Did that ever happen in the NCC days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just trying to lighten it up a little.    A little positivity never hurts.   We have a lot good things going  on in  our sports.   Hopefully the budget cuts won't hurt too much. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is wonderful that our most prominent Big Sky teams are competing/winning conference titles. 

The ironic thing about UND winning so many conference titles this year is that none of them will be won by the hockey team:P

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This will be HUGE, if mission accomplished. UND sports are very competitive, The worrisome bye son are looking over their shoulder to the N.

Not to be Debbie Downer but thetrouble is in hoops, not that I'm not tipping my cap big-time to UND if they do win the BSC regular season title (men and/or women), is that this conf is one-entry only into NCAA tourney.  Winning the regular season conf title is nice and helps you seeding-wise in the BSC tourney but, if you don't win that, then it's all for naught.  Barring some kind of miracle, two teams from the BSC will not advance to the NCAA tourney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Not to be Debbie Downer but thetrouble is in hoops, not that I'm not tipping my cap big-time to UND if they do win the BSC regular season title (men and/or women), is that this conf is one-entry only into NCAA tourney.  Winning the regular season conf title is nice and helps you seeding-wise in the BSC tourney but, if you don't win that, then it's all for naught.  Barring some kind of miracle, two teams from the BSC will not advance to the NCAA tourney. 

I think everyone knows there is more than one goal for every sports program. And winning the conference is always the first.

"Sorry hockey team you won the conference, but not to be a debbie downer, it's all for naught because you didn't win the national title (or the NCAA regional)."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree to some degree but those are your words, not mine. D1 hoops at low/mid major level is a different beast than D1 hockey.  Winning conf reg season is fine indeed and, as I stated "I tip my cap big-time" but winning conf post season tourney gets you to the big dance and my guess is most hoopsters would want that first vice winning conf reg season title but not the post season tourney (result not makin the big dance).  If that's what you're doing, don't make this UND hoops vs UND hockey as I'm just as big a fan of both.          

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

winning conf post season tourney gets you to the big dance and my guess is most hoopsters would want that first vice winning conf reg season title but not the post season tourney (result not makin the big dance).  If that's what you're doing, don't make this UND hoops vs UND hockey as I'm just as big a fan of both.          

Of course most would rather win the basketball post season conference title, just like most would want to win a hockey national championship over the conference championship.

Not exactly ground breaking news. But completing the first goal along the way is not "for naught" whether any other goals are met that season. It's an accomplishment the teams can be proud of; hang their hats on; building blocks for the future. 

The UND football team season was not "for nothing" because they didn't win a national championship. (EWU got the conference auto bid to the playoffs. If only one team from the Big Sky got a postseason invite like Mens Basketball the football team would have been sitting at home)

The hockey team also would have been sitting home the last four years if only the conference postseason champion was awarded an NCAA tournament invite.

Having one team, especially a newcomer like UND, win the leagues top four sports regular season championships would be huge...the whole purpose of this topic....of course not as huge as if they all won national championships/sweet 16s. :silly:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the same school has won all 4 main sports in the same year.    I suppose it might of happened,   but probably unlikely.    It would be quite an accomplishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Risky said:

I wonder if the same school has won all 4 main sports in the same year.    I suppose it might of happened,   but probably unlikely.    It would be quite an accomplishment.

As far as regular season championships goes Montana has won 3 of 4 twice (1994-1995 and 1999-2000) in the 34 year history of the those sports.  So, just winning three of the four would be a major accomplishment for the athletic department.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Dagger said:

The Men's and Women's basketball teams control their own destiny now.   Keep winning and they both win the Big Sky Conferences Championships.    Our Volleyball team won the Big Sky.    Our Football team won the Big Sky.    How cool would it be to have UND win the 4 major sports championships in the Big Sky in the same year.     It wouldn't take a miracle.    It can  happen.  Go UND.

Looks like this prophecy is materializing  

And no hockey titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2017 at 1:23 PM, zonadub said:

Looks like this prophecy is materializing  

And no hockey titles.

Don't take me the wrong way here, I'm hoping MBB & WBB win the Big Sky and we get the four conference titles like mentioned, that would be great, but we're still the reigning MH NC! A Great past 11 months if this works out in BB this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×