SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff 2017

IowaSioux24

19 hours ago, GDPritch said:

UND was in the Frozen 4 at Xcel in 2011, one of their best teams ever but suffered hard to swallow semi-final loss vs Mich (Duluth won it all).

I paid up for a suite & it was miserable losing 

I was happy for Duluth

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I see... I misunderstood your post to mean that Groupon people were the only ones held up and was curious.

The wristband thing was kind of annoying last year but I was able to get in on time for the game. I'd show up 20 minutes early or so to avoid.

I didn't make the post you were questioning, I was basically agreeing with you. Focker made the post you were referring to.

16 hours ago, CMSioux said:

So I got the call and he left a message asking me to call back because he had some "special offers". Anyone know what they are offering? 

I got the call at work yesterday. He is offering discounted tickets and hotel rooms. I am supposed to get an e-mail on this so I can look it over and I will talk to him again on Monday.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I got the call at work yesterday. He is offering discounted tickets and hotel rooms. I am supposed to get an e-mail on this so I can look it over and I will talk to him again on Monday.

I got a motel cheaper by calling the motel instead of going through the NCHC and hotels.com. the more people start booking that number will rise obviously. But I think now the rooms are abundant.

Tickets went from $130 to $116 for premium.

• Upvote 1

The push is definitely on with the NCHC fan bases and college hockey junkie attendees in general. Apparently sales are down and game tix and hotel rooms in MSP will be plentiful come March. The League is going to be so screwed if (perish the thought) the good guys in green stay away.

Personally I always had a blast at the conference tournaments, whether played at the old St. Paul Civic Center, Xcel or Target Center, even if UND wasn't in the tournament.  In fact those were some of the funnest experiences I had.  No anxiety regarding the games.  You got to cheer for whoever you wanted, and usually against Minnesota.  I wouldn't miss it even if UND did.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Personally I always had a blast at the conference tournaments, whether played at the old St. Paul Civic Center, Xcel or Target Center, even if UND wasn't in the tournament.  In fact those were some of the funnest experiences I had.  No anxiety regarding the games.  You got to cheer for whoever you wanted, and usually against Minnesota.  I wouldn't miss it even if UND did.

1997 WCHA Final Five at the St Paul Civic Center - thank you Peter Armbrust! 

• Upvote 2

The other thing to consider about the Frozen Faceoff is, assuming you are fan of college hockey, the possibility of seeing a really excellent championship game.  Even if UND is not in the tournament, or the championship game, a UMD-DU final would be excellent, and probably determine the #1 overall seed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

The other thing to consider about the Frozen Faceoff is, assuming you are fan of college hockey, the possibility of seeing a really excellent championship game.  Even if UND is not in the tournament, or the championship game, a UMD-DU final would be excellent, and probably determine the #1 overall seed.

That would be a pretty good final.  However, I would much rather see UND beat Denver in the semis and Duluth for the Championship!!

9 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I wish I could agree. Last year 4 of the best teams in the country (and probably the two best at the end Denver and UND) were at the tourney and I thought the quality of the games were poor due to lousy ice conditions and boards. This is what makes the games hard to watch for me. Pucks bouncing over sticks constantly and terrible bounces off the boards.

• Upvote 2

On 2/17/2017 at 10:02 AM, thUNDer said:

Exactly, plus UND and Denver were already in the NCAA. Their compete level at the Frozen Faceoff was no where near their compete level in the Frozen Four.

Which way do we want it again?  Is it going like gangbusters even if we're already in the NCAA's or sandbagging it because we're already in the NCAA's?  

Seems we'll complain no matter what.  Fortunately for the fans, I'm pretty sure the team won't have a choice in this year's NCHC tournament - and that's IF they make the trip to Target Center.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, rhenry8439 said:

Just got a call from the NCHC about buying tickets to the Frozen Faceoff. I told the lady that the only way i would go is if UND makes it. She didn't sound too excited about that.

I got the same phone call, which tells me that they are down in sales.  They also asked a bunch of questions about the current tournament.  Sounds like they are hearing loud and clear that we want it back at the X.  Bottom line is I told her the same that if UND isn't there, neither am I. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

Good thing its not at the X this year. 

That building is way too big for this tournament. 

As if Target Center is just right?  The way it looks now, they may as well move it to Bloomington Ice Gardens!  And there might STILL be plenty of good seats available. :lol:

I'll call the ticket folks back when they're pawning off center ice tickets for $10 a pop.

• Upvote 2