SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff 2017

IowaSioux24

On 2/10/2017 at 1:20 PM, southpaw said:

I'd imagine people would have a lot more fun if UND wasn't 0-3 on Fridays...

That 0-3 record has made for some subdued crowds at the Hogg on Saturday morning too.  

Had we only known last year that the team would bulldoze its way to a national title starting a few days later by throttling Northeastern...

• Upvote 3

My group is going.  We have gone every year since it has been at Target Center.  The venue isn't great, but I have been to plenty of less than stellar sports venues.  We go to support our favorite hockey team and enjoy a long weekend in the big city.  We are afforded the comforts of a world class facility for every home game, so it is no sweat off my back to tolerate the Target Center for two days.  I guess it is more about the overall experience/weekend getaway for us.  Never got a chance to go to the Final Five, but was at The X the last time UND was in the Frozen Four there, (2009?).  The X is definately a nicer facility, but again the venue is not a deal breaker for me.

• Upvote 2

Hey,

Anybody else get contacted by the NCHC?  Brandon Bills, Ticket Sales Consultant for the NCHC left a voicemail asking me to call him back.  Wondering if they are trying to drum up some more ticket sales by calling past attendees of the conference tourney...

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Hey,

Anybody else get contacted by the NCHC?  Brandon Bills, Ticket Sales Consultant for the NCHC left a voicemail asking me to call him back.  Wondering if they are trying to drum up some more ticket sales by calling past attendees of the conference tourney...

Of course they are.  They've never sold out the Target Center so there is always room for more fans.  It's also an effort to find out what some potential changes could be made that would help the fan experience.  While a lot of planning has been done for mid-March, we're still a month away and there is time to improve/change things.

5 minutes ago, dagies said:

This is how I feel too.  If I'm willing to go to Mankato or St. Cloud to watch UND play a couple of games, what could be so wrong with Target Center?  I agree with most people that the X was a better facility and I'd like to see it back there.  But it's still a couple of meaningful UND hockey games and I'll still enjoy them.   I think the worst thing about the new Target Center is the less than exciting performances by our favorite hockey team there.

Agreed. If UND were the 3 time defending Frozen Faceoff Champions as opposed to having a 1-4-1 record, the opinions of most would most likely be different. 

• Upvote 1

Got a call today also. Jonathan was his name. Wrote down my concerns and told me the X is in a lot of conversations between NCHC people! Nice!

He also got me to buy tickets, I switched sides because I have always been on the side/end that Cam protects twice! Then I thought, the Sioux probably aren't the home team this year and I just moved to the other side/end with Cam for two periods!!:( Oh well....

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Hey,

16 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Just got the call

the guy said it seems to be recurring theme of why people canceling

8 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Got a call today also. Jonathan was his name. Wrote down my concerns and told me the X is in a lot of conversations between NCHC people! Nice!

He also got me to buy tickets, I switched sides because I have always been on the side/end that Cam protects twice! Then I thought, the Sioux probably aren't the home team this year and I just moved to the other side/end with Cam for two periods!!:( Oh well....

This is one of the things that makes SiouxSports so good. People having the conversations about these calls with others. 

If it weren't for this message board, it would be hard to communicate about this outside of your usual group of friends that one hangs out with.

We will be making the annual trip again after the last few years. I really do hope they actually make the tourney or we won't be buying tickets to that dump of an arena to watch non-Sioux hockey. We have been able to explore the downtown area much more after the past years disappointments. I'm hoping this year they play to win it because they may need to win it to stay alive. That could have the potential for some great hockey!

i do really wish there was a bar not as packed as the pourhouse. I don't like to wait 10 min for a new beer and I need to get primed for the game because $9 beers don't happen with my wallet!

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, bincitysioux said:

My group is going.  We have gone every year since it has been at Target Center.  The venue isn't great, but I have been to plenty of less than stellar sports venues.  We go to support our favorite hockey team and enjoy a long weekend in the big city.  We are afforded the comforts of a world class facility for every home game, so it is no sweat off my back to tolerate the Target Center for two days.  I guess it is more about the overall experience/weekend getaway for us.  Never got a chance to go to the Final Five, but was at The X the last time UND was in the Frozen Four there, (2009?).  The X is definately a nicer facility, but again the venue is not a deal breaker for me.

UND was in the Frozen 4 at Xcel in 2011, one of their best teams ever but suffered hard to swallow semi-final loss vs Mich (Duluth won it all).

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We will be making the annual trip again after the last few years. I really do hope they actually make the tourney or we won't be buying tickets to that dump of an arena to watch non-Sioux hockey. We have been able to explore the downtown area much more after the past years disappointments. I'm hoping this year they play to win it because they may need to win it to stay alive. That could have the potential for some great hockey!

i do really wish there was a bar not as packed as the pourhouse. I don't like to wait 10 min for a new beer and I need to get primed for the game because $9 beers don't happen with my wallet!

Um...yea.  Saturday the 18th at 10:15 am.  Road trip about 10 minutes north on 35W and 5 minutes east on Hwy 36.  Exit at Rice Street and go one mile north. The Hoggsbreath is on the right-hand side.  See ya there at 10:30 am.

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Wish Granted.

There's tons of bars around the Target Center not as packed. 

Rock Bottom Brewery is not to far from the Target Center and it is great. if you like real beer and great food! 

• Upvote 1

Careful buying any discount tickets through groupon for this.   My wife and kids (and a lot of other people) missed nearly half the game in 2015 waiting in line to get into the arena.  Every one of them had the groupon tickets and they made them all wait in a special line.    Everyone was incredibly pissed off about it.

25 minutes ago, focker said:

Careful buying any discount tickets through groupon for this.   My wife and kids (and a lot of other people) missed nearly half the game in 2015 waiting in line to get into the arena.  Every one of them had the groupon tickets and they made them all wait in a special line.    Everyone was incredibly pissed off about it.

They made you wait in a line for an hour and a half because you had Groupon tickets?

1 hour ago, focker said:

This delay happened to everyone, not just Groupon people. It wasn't "half the game" but the game was happening and we were waiting to get in! Had to wait for wrist bands if I remember correctly....?

3 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

This delay happened to everyone, not just Groupon people. It wasn't "half the game" but the game was happening and we were waiting to get in! Had to wait for wrist bands if I remember correctly....?

I see... I misunderstood your post to mean that Groupon people were the only ones held up and was curious.

The wristband thing was kind of annoying last year but I was able to get in on time for the game. I'd show up 20 minutes early or so to avoid.