SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff 2017

IowaSioux24

This is the end of my ice season every year, so I enjoy getting away and watching hockey. I enjoyed the x but will put up with the target center. Will be back this year with my son and his girlfriend coming along. No grandkids  this year though, so maybe will let my hair down this year. Staying at Embassy Suites in Brooklyn Park for the fourth year in a row. They have a downtown shuttle to the targeyt center.

• Upvote 2

There might be a measurable decline in attendance this year - based on the results the last few years and this season being down. We aren't going either after going for the last three years. The irony/reality is this might be the first year that the tournament means anything to UND's seeding spot. 

5 minutes ago, BrandonH61 said:

What a depressing thread to read.  We've been going to the Final Five and Frozen Faceoff for the past 13 years, and we have already bought our tickets again this year.  We have 7 in our group, and there wasn't one thought about not purchasing tickets.  Yes the venue sucks, but I'd watch the team play in a circus tent if that's where the game was being played.  I hear a lot of people ragging on the venue being the reason they aren't going this year, but I'd have to think it has to do with the team's struggles at the Target Center.  They say we have the best traveling fans, but by the sounds of it, we've got some spoiled fair weather fans too.  And as stated above, this year's tournament could be the deciding factor for UND making the regional in Fargo or not. 

If there was ever a "this"....it's ^^^this^^^.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Wow, there are some self righteous people on here! Maybe we should all compare how much we each spend in a season following our favorite team around? That way when people say a group of other people are "spoiled fair weather fans" they can see just how STUPID of a comment that is! At least when they view my willingness to spend money to follow the Sioux around! I probably wont be at the Frozen Face-off this year for many reasons, but if the boys are in Chicago I will be there to cheer on #9!

Bash away...

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Wow, there are some self righteous people on here! Maybe we should all compare how much we each spend in a season following our favorite team around? That way when people say a group of other people are "spoiled fair weather fans" they can see just how STUPID of a comment that is! At least when they view my willingness to spend money to follow the Sioux around! I probably wont be at the Frozen Face-off this year for many reasons, but if the boys are in Chicago I will be there to cheer on #9!

Bash away...

For once I agree with you. Well said.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Bash away...

My point had nothing to do with how much money people spend following their team around.  It had to do with everyone jumping on the bandwagon of bailing out on the frozen faceoff this year due to the crappy venue.  When in all actuality I believe it has to do with the team not playing very well at the Target Center and having a tough year so far this year.  It's tough to watch your team lose, I get it.  But a guaranteed two games for your team at a venue 4 hours away from home should be a no-brainer.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, thUNDer said:

You assume alum and fans are only 4 hours away who follow the team. Alternative facts.

Point taken.  If I had to choose to spend a grand or so to take a trip to the Frozen Faceoff or to Chicago for the Frozen Four, I'd pick the Frozen Four too. 

I was thinking more of the local fan base that is bailing out on the tournament.

2 minutes ago, BrandonH61 said:

Point taken.  If I had to choose to spend a grand or so to take a trip to the Frozen Faceoff or to Chicago for the Frozen Four, I'd pick the Frozen Four too. 

I was thinking more of the local fan base that is bailing out on the tournament.

Or anyone that bails on watching UND hockey in conference postseason play with a berth in the national tournament just because of the venue. 

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Not sure where you pulled that comment out of, but I guess I would rather not know.

How you could turn my stating why I'm going to the FF (in spite of the crappy Target Center), into questioning your loyalty, is just an example of how you turn everything into a "me against the world" screed. I would ask that you remember your "prioritizing financial resources and leisure time" statement next fall when you are demanding that everyone should attend every UND football game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is the first year since we started attending the conference tourney in 1999 that I did not renew my tickets.  BUT...we are still going!  We are just electing not to buy tickets in advance.  We used to stay at the Embassy Suites in St. Paul every year, and we're pumped that a new one opened in Minneapolis just about a block from the Target Center.  

I just hope the team can join us!!! :p

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

How you could turn my stating why I'm going to the FF (in spite of the crappy Target Center), into questioning your loyalty, is just an example of how you turn everything into a "me against the world" screed. I would ask that you remember your "prioritizing financial resources and leisure time" statement next fall when you are demanding that everyone should attend every UND football game.

Big difference between driving 300 miles to Minneapolis and dropping a big wad of money on hotel and game tickets vs. getting off the couch on Saturday to watch Bubba and the boys at the Alerus Center.

Your original comment sounded like a subtle shot at those of us who are not going this year. I asked a simple question. All I wanted was a simple response. Alas, I did not get it.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Big difference between driving 300 miles to Minneapolis and dropping a big wad of money on hotel and game tickets vs. getting off the couch on Saturday to watch Bubba and the boys at the Alerus Center.

Your original comment sounded like a subtle shot at those of us who are not going this year. I asked a simple question. All I wanted was a simple response. Alas, I did not get it.

Thank you for proving my point.

• Downvote 1

The only Frozen Faceoff I've attended was back in 2015, and I, too, was very, very turned off by the venue. It also wasn't fun seeing our team get bounced twice, but that's not why I was there. It was about the support. That being said, we had fans everywhere as usual and it was one of the better experiences I've had as a [young] UND fan. Especially at the Pourhouse, woof.

I think another thing that needs to be considered here are the teams. The conference right now is not out of reach for us, still very tight and we have the playoffs to get through, but there's a shot we could be seeing the same teams at the FF as last year. If not all the same, most of them. If the season were to end now, we'd have two of the relatively local teams in the conference in attendance. If Bob and the Huskies turn things around for the remainder of the season, AND we were to do some damage in KZoo next weekend, that'd very likely have all 4 2016 teams right back, and 3 teams in driving distance. All three have a pretty large presence in the cities, and even with a less than optimal facility, simply having our teams in will cause some draw. 

Sure, our boys might not be having the best season around by North Dakota standards, but just as we saw in 2014 we can hit a spark and turn something nerve-wracking into a force to be reckoned with. 6 games and a month until post season is a lot of time to make a good run yet. Let's not get so down on our men. They're the reason we're on this board.

20 hours ago, BrandonH61 said:

My point had nothing to do with how much money people spend following their team around.  It had to do with everyone jumping on the bandwagon of bailing out on the frozen faceoff this year due to the crappy venue.  When in all actuality I believe it has to do with the team not playing very well at the Target Center and having a tough year so far this year.  It's tough to watch your team lose, I get it.  But a guaranteed two games for your team at a venue 4 hours away from home should be a no-brainer.

Yeah, I don't believe that the Orleans Arena is a Mecca either, but everyone is complaining they can't get tickets.  If UND can't fill the Target Center for games that might be crucial for getting UND in the NCAA tournament, why should administration be confident that they should move up to a different arena in Vegas? I feel bad for some of those that couldn't get tickets for Vegas, but others, not so much.

• Upvote 1

I've attended every conference tournament since the WCHA started holding them in 1988, and this year will be no different. I understand not going if it's family or resources, etc... But to not go because of Target Center is just creating an excuse to bail, imho.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yet we apparently have most of the fan base that can afford Vegas?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We have attended the WCHA and now NCHC tournament every year since the Xcel Energy Center opened (and a few even before that) and will be at the tournament this year.  We don't want to break our streak.  Having said that, We have had two seat issues in all of our time attending sporting events and both have been the Target Center (once was a Timberwolves game).  Our latest episode was last year and I sent the Target Center a letter pointing out the issue and identified items that the Target Center is doing poorly and that they just don't "get it."  Hockey fans are not the same as NBA fans.  I stressed that I will be encouraging the NCHC to move to the XCEL Energy Center when the current contract ends and I did copy the NCHC office with the letter.  In the first two years I was willing to give then time to get up to speed, but last year was it.  While the food has improved, it is still garbage.  In the first year they had hot chocolate at just one food stand, but coffee at all of the others.  When I responded to the Target Center survey after year one, I mentioned this fact and that my wife and I do not drink coffee, so please add hot chocolate to more vendor locations.  Their response in year two was to not have hot chocolate or coffee at any vendors.  Maybe they don't want the tournament and are willing to cancel next year so it can move to the XCEL a year early?

Evidently many fans are choosing not to go this year as the Mpls. Hilton has lowered rates to $89 for senior citizens and $94 for others for that weekend.  We rebooked at the lower rates.

My goal one of these years is to attend every game.  Last year I made 33 of the 40 games prior to the NCAA tournament.  Just missed the Bemidji, CC, and Vermont series as well as one St. Cloud game.  

• Upvote 1