SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff 2017

IowaSioux24

Just thought I would start a thread to discuss the Frozen Faceoff, discuss best places to stay, eat and hangout before and after games.  We skipped last year but decided to give it a go again this year.  We are staying at the Marriott City Center again as we enjoyed it being close enough to the rink that we could park for the weekend and not have to worry about driving.  Favorite pregame is definitely Kieran's Bar, looking forward to a big ginger before the first game.

We haven't bought any tickets yet, does anyone recall if their are many scalpers outside of Target Center ?  Thinking about just not buying tickets ahead of time to avoid the fees.

I am having a tough time making a decision on going also.  One reason may be the inconsistency of the team.  The main reason is that the Target center sucks for hockey.  They treat fans horribly.  I get the whole seat argument, which I do stand by if I pay a higher price to not let people who pay low and want to sneak in.  But I don't get how rude the ushers are for once you establish that you are in that section.  The ice is always bad, the boards are horrible and the atmosphere is even worse.  The place stinks, literally and tournament suffers because of all of the stated. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

I am having a tough time making a decision on going also.  One reason may be the inconsistency of the team.  The main reason is that the Target center sucks for hockey.  They treat fans horribly.  I get the whole seat argument, which I do stand by if I pay a higher price to not let people who pay low and want to sneak in.  But I don't get how rude the ushers are for once you establish that you are in that section.  The ice is always bad, the boards are horrible and the atmosphere is even worse.  The place stinks, literally and tournament suffers because of all of the stated. 

Unfortunately I totally agree. We are not going this year for the first time since 2005. I think there needs to be a mass email chain started to Josh Fenton and the NCHC to get the tourney moved to the X. I get the reasons why the Target Center was the best option at the time of the creation of the NCHC but now that the X is available it should be a no brainer to make the move. Yes I know the costs would be higher and there are far less hotel/restaurant options but St. Paul is a hockey city and Minneapolis is not. I know I would gladly pay more for tickets and hotel to get back to the X. Let's make it happen!

• Upvote 1

I have friends down there and a free place to stay, unfortunately your best seat for this tournament is on the couch these days. 

Saving my money and supporting my team for west regional. 

I've gone to this tournament twice in the last 3 years or so. It's dead to me (coming from a die hard WCHA Final Five fan). 

Last few years you could get cheap tickets off Groupon too  I'll pass this year and going forward and save my $$$  

• Upvote 1

After 10 years, we too did not renew our 6 seats. Went to the WCHA FF's and then the Frozen Faceoffs to watch quality college hockey. The Target Center is not 'quality hockey friendly.' Teams likely already in the NCAA Tourney according to pairwise also do not appear to put forth their best effort. Due to parity, seeding is not that big of deal in a one and done and they want to go in healthy. Last year the highlights of our trip were Hell's Kitchen, FireLake Grill and The Shouthouse, not watching hockey. Make reservations ahead of time! The Pourhouse is fun but packed pre-games so arrive early.

This the last year the BTHC will have a post season tournament at 1 venue over a weekend.  Moving to on campus sites next year.  Anyone know how long a contract the NCHC signed with the Target Center?  I get their reasoning for initially doing it, but now that the X is available, I think that the NCHC needs to jump at the opportunity to move the Frozen Faceoff to the X.  Preaching to the choir here, but it just seems ridiculous promoting the NCHC as the premier comference in college hocky and then playing their premier conference tournament at a terrible venue.  

• Upvote 1

Passing on hockey at the Target Center.  None of the people we used to go with are going either.  I understand the NCHC made the best decision they could at the time going with the Target Center.  But now it's a no brainer.  Gotta move it back to the X.

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

This the last year the BTHC will have a post season tournament at 1 venue over a weekend.  Moving to on campus sites next year.  Anyone know how long a contract the NCHC signed with the Target Center?  I get their reasoning for initially doing it, but now that the X is available, I think that the NCHC needs to jump at the opportunity to move the Frozen Faceoff to the X.  Preaching to the choir here, but it just seems ridiculous promoting the NCHC as the premier comference in college hocky and then playing their premier conference tournament at a terrible venue.  

2018 I think.

47 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Does the Target Center suck? Yes. 

Is St. Paul a better hockey town? Yes.

Do I wish the Frozen Faceoff was at the X? Yes

Is the team we love going to be playing at Target Center in March? Maybe

Am I going to be there to support them? If they make it.

FYP.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

Does the Target Center suck? Yes. 

Is St. Paul a better hockey town? Yes.

Do I wish the Frozen Faceoff was at the X? Yes

Is the team we love going to be playing at Target Center in March? Yes

Am I going to be there to support them? Yes.

I hope you are not questioning the loyalty of fans who choose not to go to this tournament. It's more about prioritizing financial resources and leisure time than not supporting the team.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Have stayed at The Loews, Radisson Blu and Marriot City Center. It is not likely we will return unless the FF moves back to St Paul, but if we were, we probably would choose the Marriot to get the best deal within walking distance. They each have their perks and/or negatives.

Didn't renew after year 2.  Pourhouse was a lot of fun pre-game. Nothing special about the outside activities, target center sucks, the seats are gross.  The most fun I had was awaiting the UW outcome to see if we snuck into the tourney, and the ensuing Lets Go Sioux chant during the DU vs Miami game.

• Upvote 3