SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. SCSU - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

10 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If all forwards are healthy pick 2 from this group to sit...Wilke, Olson, Hoff and Simo. Gardner should sit IMO but he won't. He's been atrocious for weeks now.

I can't agree with Gardner for the simple fact of face offs.  He is to important for that reason.  Yes, his penalties are getting tiresome, but I have a feeling that Berry addressed that in between periods last night.  He was on best behavior after that and actually was digging in the corners a lot after that. 

26 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I only bring it up because it's the only time I've noticed him this year. Granted I'm only able to watch at most ~50% of games.

Won't miss Gage one iota when he's gone. An embarrassment to the program between his lack of passion and embarrassing social media presence.

What does gage do on social media? 

29 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Extremely easy question---Wilkie and simo, hands down. Wilkie is a scorer who can't score and simo is a grinder who can't grind because he's 140 lbs. 

I think those are the 2 I would choose as well but really as long as the 2 come from the group of Simonson, Wilkie, Olson, or Hoff I'm fine with it. If everyone is healthy for Western Michigan I'd try a lineup of:
Gersich-Jost-Boeser
Smith-Gardner-Poganski
Yon-Bowen-Gornall
Janatuinen-Hoff-Olson

20 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Extremely easy question---Wilkie and simo, hands down. Wilkie is a scorer who can't score and simo is a grinder who can't grind because he's 140 lbs. 

I'm going to sound like a broken record but please someone tell me what Olson brings to the table? I get it most everyone rags on Wilkie for not scoring but he is starting to create quite a few chances. What is Olson? A grinder who can't grind? He gets knocked off the puck easier than anyone on the team. 

Just now, I Ranger said:

I'm going to sound like a broken record but please someone tell me what Olson brings to the table? I get it most everyone rags on Wilkie for not scoring but he is starting to create quite a few chances. What is Olson? A grinder who can't grind? He gets knocked off the puck easier than anyone on the team. 

He doesn't bring much other than his physical presence which is hit or miss but he still brings more than simo and Wilkie. I disagree that he gets knocked off the puck easier than anyone else. Simo, Wilkie, JJ and Hoff get knocked off much easier than him. He does get knocked off easier than he should based on his size. But when he's forechecking he's done a pretty decent job at bringing some pop when he wants to. At other times he looks lazy. 

13 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Gage had a lengthy political chat with a college hockey writer that in my opinion reflected poorly upon him and the program.  Not a good idea in a public forum with a C on your jersey.

Yeah that's NOT a good idea or a good look on a captain. Especially the captain of a team that's watched so closely. I've also seen/heard about other little things he's done as well. Like making fun of the new logo and swearing about it on twitter and also second handidly making fun of Sioux fans by comparing them to Haks flyer fan base. He said something along the lines of "fire the coach!!!!....20 game win streak....we are the best team ever!!!!...sounds fimilair" 

Overall it's not a huge deal but it's not the attitude you like to see from your captain. Maybe if he had the skill to make up for it, it would be okay...but we all know that's not the case. I give him a D grade as captain this season

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The fact Gage isn't an anti-American progressive liberal should not reflect poorly on him or the program. He doesn't attend UC Berkeley. Yet Lady Gaga will use the SB halftime show to voice her "political" views in about 9 hours. Just watch.........and social media will be buzzing with praise.

I'm with you on his point of view but don't let your biased view make you miss the point of how he shouldn't be doing that for everyone to see. Whether we agree with him or not, I think it's a dumb move to argue with people like that for everyone to see, especially over politics and especially when you're the captain.

30 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Gage had a lengthy political chat with a college hockey writer that in my opinion reflected poorly upon him and the program.  Not a good idea in a public forum with a C on your jersey.

And your opinion on that would be the same if Gage were to take a knee during the national anthem before every home and away game?

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I would find that less disrespectful to the anthem than yelling "SIOUX" at the end of the song.

That wasn't the question.  Would you consider Gage an "embarrassment to the program" and his actions a poor reflection on him and the program if he were to take a knee during the national anthem?

Or is he an "embarrassment" simply because his political opinions don't mirror yours?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

I think those are the 2 I would choose as well but really as long as the 2 come from the group of Simonson, Wilkie, Olson, or Hoff I'm fine with it. If everyone is healthy for Western Michigan I'd try a lineup of:
Gersich-Jost-Boeser
Smith-Gardner-Poganski
Yon-Bowen-Gornall
Janatuinen-Hoff-Olson

I'd have Wilkie over Olson. I think he's been playing a good two-way game and has more to offer. You never know he might even score.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

That wasn't the question.  Would you consider Gage an "embarrassment to the program" and his actions a poor reflection on him and the program if he were to take a knee during the national anthem?

Or is he an "embarrassment" simply because his political opinions don't mirror yours?

It's not due to the beliefs he espoused. I'm more fiscally conservative than anyone I know. It's not setting the right example as a captain of a high profile program.  If a white kid from GF was taking a knee I would laugh at him.

They may be athletes, but it's the university, not just a hockey camp.   Becoming socially aware and expressing themselves on political issues is part of the growth they are supposed to be experiencing.  As long as it's done respectfully. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He doesn't bring much other than his physical presence which is hit or miss but he still brings more than simo and Wilkie. I disagree that he gets knocked off the puck easier than anyone else. Simo, Wilkie, JJ and Hoff get knocked off much easier than him. He does get knocked off easier than he should based on his size. But when he's forechecking he's done a pretty decent job at bringing some pop when he wants to. At other times he looks lazy. 

Totally disagree especially on JJ. He is possibly our best forechecker at the moment and quite strong on the puck. I just don't see Olson bringing anything to the table.