CableOne (Fargo) contact scott.geston@cableone.net

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 siouxgrad

siouxgrad
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:49 AM

If you live in the Fargo area (or want to help us out) you may want to send a message to scott.geston@cableone.net to ask about Sioux hockey coverage this weekend.

#2 siouxgrad

siouxgrad
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:07 PM

Got the below response:

"Not sure yet.  Stay tuned to channel 7"

Keep the e-mails going to scott.geston@cableone.net.

#3 beersong

beersong
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:11 PM

I just sent mine.  I'll be in Detroit Lakes where I get Victory, but my buddy here in Fargo would really like to watch the Gopher games this weekend.  

Victory Sports press conference at 1pm today in Mpls to announce who will have it and who won't.

#4 MinnesotaNorthStar

MinnesotaNorthStar
  • Members
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:17 PM

beersong, on Mar 24 2004, 11:11 AM, said:

I just sent mine.  I'll be in Detroit Lakes where I get Victory, but my buddy here in Fargo would really like to watch the Gopher games this weekend.  

Victory Sports press conference at 1pm today in Mpls to announce who will have it and who won't.
Do you happen to know what station said press conference would be on?

#5 beersong

beersong
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:23 PM

MinnesotaNorthStar, on Mar 24 2004, 11:17 AM, said:

Do you happen to know what station said press conference would be on?
I doubt it will be covered live by anyone.  But I'm sure they'll have a press release shortly after.

#6 jloos

jloos
  • Members
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:45 PM

From todays Forum:

Scott Geston letter: Victory sports does not play fair with F-M viewers
The Forum - 03/24/2004

After reading the doom and gloom opinions recently submitted by Jim Pohlad and Kevin Cattoor, both of Twins-owned Victory Sports, I felt compelled to respond. The spin tactics these two use are purposely confusing Twins fans, and ignoring the facts, and overlooking the true desires of our customers.

We have taken the approach that we simply want to know what our customers want. We have surveyed them, and they overwhelmingly responded that they want Victory Sports made available on an a la carte basis. People who want it can pay for it; others won’t be burdened with the cost of something they don’t watch.

To meet the needs of our customers, we are willing to make it available to them at our cost. The people at Victory are saying, “We don’t care what you think. We’re going to try and make you pay for our mistakes whether you like it or not.”

Victory wants everyone to get and thus end up paying for their channel. If the package were as painless and easy as they make it sound, cable operators would be clamoring to get it before the satellite companies, but instead neither cable nor satellite companies are willing to agree to Victory’s exorbitant, self-serving terms. Doesn’t that speak volumes in itself?

Victory is using “fuzzy math” tactics claiming the price for its service is already built into the rate customers pay. This is Victory’s spin and simply not true. Cable One carries Fox Sports North, a regional sports network with broad appeal that has more than three million subscribers.

Twins-owned Victory Sports pulled Twins Baseball from Fox this year in this attempt to create their own network. How can the price be built in when we paid far less for Fox Sports, Twins included, than Victory is now demanding?

Victory claims the programming information in a survey we sent to customers was misleading. If the programming description we used for Victory is so misleading, then Victory ought to revise its literature because we used information received directly from Victory Sports.

But then again, Victory has become quite adept at misleading the public. Although additions of vintage and out-of-area programming have been added, Victory is largely duplicating programming that is already available to Cable One customers.

The new Twins network claims to need expanded basic carriage of its network on cable systems. If Cable One offered this additional service to all customers as Victory is demanding, we would be forced to raise our rates to all customers more than $2 to cover the additional cost to provide that service.

But our customers have, in no uncertain terms, told us they do not want it. In fact, the results of our survey indicate that more than 80 percent of our customers want Victory offered as an optional service so that only those customers wishing to receive it will have to pay for it. Those are pretty compelling figures.

Cable One attempted to make everyone happy by offering Victory the opportunity to sell its new service as an optional channel to those customers who are willing to pay for the service. Unfortunately for diehard Twins fans they have refused. Strike One.

Victory also seems to be adamant about misleading their fans, mudslinging and “negotiating” in a very public way. Strike Two.

These unfair business behaviors don’t leave us very optimistic about the future viability of the new service. The recent Victory tactics strike us as real minor league play. The rules are three strikes and you’re out. Let’s play fair and play ball, boys.

Geston is general manage of CableOne, Fargo, the cable television system serving Fargo, West Fargo and Moorhead.

#7 beersong

beersong
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:50 PM

Hello -

I was wondering if CableOne will be picking up the UND games from Victory
Sports this weekend and if you do, will you also pick up the Gopher and UMD
Bulldog games?  Thank you.

Sincerely,
beersong

Scott Geston:
Almost sure.  Stay tuned to channel 7

#8 siouxchick111

siouxchick111
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:12 PM

Whats the status of the sioux, bulldog, goofers game on in Fargo?? Or is the best bet a sports bar ?

#9 siouxgrad

siouxgrad
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:02 PM

Received the below from Scott at CableOne:

"Just spoke with our Tech folks and they told me we don't look at that satellite.  Will take some work but hope to provide the games.

Scott"

#10 fargosioux

fargosioux
  • Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:29 PM

A friend of mine called Cableone today and they told him the games WILL be on both nights.  I don't know about the non-Sioux games.

Does anybody have any more info?