SiouxSports.com Forum

Signing Day 2017

SiouxBoys

11 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I am excited about these Colorado guys!

Yeah no doubt!  When the local sports people in CO in the know say these guys have are that good and have been over looked that says something.  Great recruiting class this year all the way around!  And gotta love the local press there talking pretty highly about UND, hopefully we can continue to pull some great recruits out of that area. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Yeah no doubt!  When the local sports people in CO in the know say these guys have are that good and have been over looked that says something.  Great recruiting class this year all the way around!  And gotta love the local press there talking pretty highly about UND, hopefully we can continue to pull some great recruits out of that area. 

Well said!

2 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

It's been said before, but we're very lucky that Eric Schmidt is a part of this program

After reading that article he needs another raise. They are recruiting the right way and we need to make sure we keep those kind of coaches. I thought I was excited for last year but the Big Sky better watch out in 2017!

• Upvote 2

I like that we got some receivers, but I am hoping that it motivates Dulin to step up this year. Maybe it won't happen until Mercer is gone, but it would be nice to see that kind of athlete work himself into the mix.

Ott should be a machine. Frankly I don't give a damn if NDSU recruited or offered him. I don't care if their fans are right, and they didn't. I don't care if their fans are wrong, and they did. Doesn't matter a bit. As long as he lives up to his potential on the field, I'm glad he is playing for UND.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Fun Fact from over on Bisonville: Apparently Illinoise State signed a OL named Kobe Buffalomeat. Thats a heck of a name, and I'm sure the Bison fans will have some fun with that one when Illinoise St. is in Fargo.

Ha! The entire name is awesome!

26 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

Sorry if this has been covered but why didn't we grab that big kid from minot, Cook?

“I’m going to remember how much the coaches actually cared about the players,” Cook said. “You hear some schools where the coaches care about winning, nothing else. I mean that’s kind of the attitude that it was when I went to NDSU (North Dakota State) and visited there and was talking to them. It was hard for me to consider a program where they are focused more on the games to win rather than developing the players into men of character.

The kid takes a pretty big swipe at the NDSU staff that's for sure.

54 minutes ago, bang said:

“I’m going to remember how much the coaches actually cared about the players,” Cook said. “You hear some schools where the coaches care about winning, nothing else. I mean that’s kind of the attitude that it was when I went to NDSU (North Dakota State) and visited there and was talking to them. It was hard for me to consider a program where they are focused more on the games to win rather than developing the players into men of character.

Pretty bold comments from the young man. First time I have ever heard anyone characterize NDSUs coaching staff that way, in fact exactly the opposite is usually the story I hear from current and recent former players. If that's what he says then I'm sure he has justification for it, but I will challenge his comment on one point.  The winning culture that is instilled in NDSU football players shouldn't be viewed as mutually exclusive from developing a strong character, but rather a vital part of it. I think any truly successful person would agree.

Bummed someone would feel that way about NDSU and best of luck to the young man. His experience certainly wasn't my experience.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Pretty bold comments from the young man. First time I have ever heard anyone characterize NDSUs coaching staff that way, in fact exactly the opposite is usually the story I hear from current and recent former players. If that's what he says then I'm sure he has justification for it, but I will challenge his comment on one point.  The winning culture that is instilled in NDSU football players shouldn't be viewed as mutually exclusive from developing a strong character, but rather a vital part of it. I think any truly successful person would agree.

Bummed someone would feel that way about NDSU and best of luck to the young man. His experience certainly wasn't my experience.

I'm sure Stiegelmeier has given him a talking too. You just don't say that stuff about another team in your conference. Especially, if you haven't even joined the team yet. Look for that article to be hung in the NDSU locker room for the next 4 years. 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

I had heard similar stories from teammates of mine.

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I had heard similar stories from teammates of mine.

Completely different coaching staff. I bet the kids who chose NDSU would say exactly the opposite. Also, if a kid chooses not to go to a certain school clearly it didn't vibe right for him and that may be perceived as the coaches not caring about him as much as the school he chose.

25 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Completely different coaching staff. I bet the kids who chose NDSU would say exactly the opposite. Also, if a kid chooses not to go to a certain school clearly it didn't vibe right for him and that may be perceived as the coaches not caring about him as much as the school he chose.

I've heard of their coaches being straight up dicks and acting like guys were lucky to even get a sniff from NDSU.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

I've heard of their coaches being straight up dicks and acting like guys were lucky to even get a sniff from NDSU.

I've heard my fair share about UND coaches too. It all goes both ways.

Maybe the players who heard from weren't the players on a recruiting trip the coaches wanted to make sure they gave their time to. 

I had a high school teammate take a recruiting trip to U of M junior year, myself and 2 other friends went with to the gophers spring game and the recruiting festivities. Not one coach spoke to us, Glen Mason walked right by us at least a dozen times without so much as shaking my friend's hand or making eye contact. It would be easy for me to say Glen Mason was an a-hole, but I also know 3 of his former players that would run through a wall for him. So who is right? The truth is my buddy wasn't very high on their recruiting radar so they had more important players to talk to and ignored him. I see it as coaches utilizing their time properly.

19 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I've heard my fair share about UND coaches too. It all goes both ways.

Maybe the players who heard from weren't the players on a recruiting trip the coaches wanted to make sure they gave their time to. 

I had a high school teammate take a recruiting trip to U of M junior year, myself and 2 other friends went with to the gophers spring game and the recruiting festivities. Not one coach spoke to us, Glen Mason walked right by us at least a dozen times without so much as shaking my friend's hand or making eye contact. It would be easy for me to say Glen Mason was an a-hole, but I also know 3 of his former players that would run through a wall for him. So who is right? The truth is my buddy wasn't very high on their recruiting radar so they had more important players to talk to and ignored him. I see it as coaches utilizing their time properly.

I'm talking about a one on one in the head coaches office

3 hours ago, bang said:

I think this type of perception can happen at any school.  If you aren't one of the top recruits for them by position sometimes the attention you get isn't what you think it should be.  Especially if you have been around another recruit and see them being treated differently.  From experience both UND and NDSU have been guilty of this in the past.  It is probably more about the athletes perception than reality in many cases though.  I recall attending camp at Nebraska as a kid and watching the staff drool over Ahman Green the entire camp and they should have been considering the type of athlete he was.  I also recall them spending a lot of time with an OL kid from Oklahoma who was really big and really soft and I thought that he was a terrible football player.  

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Played for him for 3 years and if I was an outsider looking in I would have that perception too. But in private conversations with him over those years, I learned perception isn't always reality.

In my personal experience he was a straight shooter which I appreciated. Bit of a used car salesman at times though which I detest.